Profile for Bill > Reviews

Content by Bill

Bill "vtrman" (Nottingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Motorola MBP8 Digital Audio Baby Monitor
Motorola MBP8 Digital Audio Baby Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be daft not to at this price, 20 Oct. 2014
This is the second pair of these that I have purchased. The original ones are still going strong and being used as garage security. I have been alerted to burglars TWICE using them. Easily hear the sound when some cretin is trying to prise open your garage door. My recent pair now perform the same function in a garden summerhouse, which has mains power. Need to be in reasonable range of each other (no more than 5-10 metres?) and connection sometimes falters in rainy weather, but none-less-these things have paid for themselves many times over - as a security device. The babies escaped years ago :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly good product, 20 Oct. 2014
Amazingly robust, well built and effective...... although I suspect they may have sent me the wrong ones - the ones I got today are better than the ones pictured. The ones I received today and have been using all afternoon are orange and are "geared" like these
(cantilever kind of arrangement), but look a bit more like the purple ones also offered on Amazon for the same price. The anvil is removable and with legs easily extended to full length, I've been lopping Hawthorne and Elder branches up to 38mm in diameter. With a bit of force they'd probably manage a touch more. If you saw something like these in a bricks & mortar shop, I suspect they'd be priced at 20 quid or more. If you wanted to be picky, you might say they're a bit heavy (that's because they are well made & sturdy) and you have to open the arms (legs?) quite wide to cut the thicker branches, but that's only due to the gearing which means less force is required. I'm VERY happy with these :)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mondo Sahara
Mondo Sahara
Dvd ~ Austin Vince
Offered by Austin Vince Adventures

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring & Entertaining, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Mondo Sahara (DVD)
Got this DVD last weekend, for my birthday :) I already knew just what to expect, having already seen Mondo Enduro some years ago. The picture quality has improved a lot, although there is still a deliberate retro feel to it, with more than a nod in homage to Spaghetti Westerns of the 60s. It's highly enjoyable to watch in its own right, but for me, brought back many fond memories of a similar mates' trip earlier this year. Those wide open desert spaces and the blistering, overpowering, bright light are captured nicely. Also a great soundtrack to wash it down with. Most of all, I think it achieves its stated aim - to encourage others to go off and enjoy similar adventures for themselves. The DVD extras are well worth viewing and add further insight into how it all came about. Well done Austin! Good Work, again.

CamRepublic®-- Leather Camera Case for Canon PowerShot S110 (Antique Brown)
CamRepublic®-- Leather Camera Case for Canon PowerShot S110 (Antique Brown)
Offered by CamRepublic

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, high quality product, 6 Sept. 2013
I love it to bits - it's so retro looking - like my Dad's old Yashicamat cameras of the 50s :) Good quality thick leather, and very protective. Using the camera "while still in its case" is a little bit more fiddly than you might expect, as of course, because this camera has no viewfinder, you have to reveal the rear of the camera to be able to compose a shot. This means releasing 2 side studs, and dropping the majority of the case forward, so in some ways this is more of a faff than just taking the camera right out of a more basic cheap case. BUT... this leather item is so much nicer, so it's well worth the effort. It was shipped from Hong Kong, and unfortunately arrived just one day after we left for our family holiday..... flying via Hong Kong!!!!!

Lowepro Napoli 30 Soft Leather Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Lowepro Napoli 30 Soft Leather Digital Camera Pouch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice leather case, but not for the S110, 24 July 2013
Lovely soft leather camera case, idea for belt mounting, at a very fair price - just like the Napoli 5 I bought for my Canon Ixus 80 several years ago. Except - it's LOADS bigger. It was "suggested" to me as "other people who bought this (in my case, a Canon Powershot S110), also bought......." DO NOT BUY THIS for a Canon S110 - it's way too deep - nearly twice as deep as it needs to be. The Canon body is about 25mm deep (with lends retracted), but the Napoli 30 case is approx 40mm deep - so measure your camera before choosing a case. Maybe the Napoli 20 would suit me better.

Nothing wrong with the case itself however - just don't let anyone else tell you which size to buy - decide for yourself.

Nikon 1900 mAh Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery for D800/D600/D7100/D7000
Nikon 1900 mAh Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery for D800/D600/D7100/D7000
Offered by uk dig

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect?, 6 Mar. 2013
As far as I can see, this battery which I recently bought from C-Gear (thru' Amazon), at about 1/2 the Nikon RRP, seems identical to the one which originally came with my D7000. They both weigh exactly the same (87 grams), the printing, hologram, stickers and plastic end caps look the same, and the box & packaging looks the same. The battery described here took the same amount of time to charge as the original, and my camera recognises that the battery is fully charged and "new". They are both marked as Nikon EN-EL15 7.0V 1900mAh 14 Wh. I believe this to be a genuine Nikon battery, and will most likely order another one at some point. Neither batch number falls within the recall batches.

The only one minor difference is, that above the hologram, my first battery is marked as Nikon 7.0V 1.90Ah next to the PSE symbol. This replacement is marked as Sony E.D 7.0V 1.90Ah next to the PSE symbol.

As some previous reviewers have remarked, some of these batteries are marked as Nikon & Sony. There is probably some kind of joint deal going on here (does anyone know if this size battery also fits any Sony equipment?), but anyway, whether it's Sony or Nikon who oversee the production of these, I'm not worried about any quality issues. They are BOTH marked "Cell made in Japan, further processed in China. Nikon Corp, Japan"

I have every expectation that this battery will perform just like the first one which came with the camera, but I'll report back here if there are any problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2013 5:18 PM GMT

Butterfly Handy Warmer - Silver
Butterfly Handy Warmer - Silver
Offered by 24 seven

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well & good value, 12 Dec. 2012
This hand warmer arrived just this morning, I fuelled it up and it's been burning well now for 12 hours. This appears to perform just as well as the Peacock Japanese made versions and it's around half the price. The quality of Chrome plating does not match the more expensive Peacock (there are some flaws in the finish), so it's not as pretty to behold, but in terms of performance and function, I think it's just as good. I give it 5 stars on it's intended primary purpose - to heat your pocket & hands - rather than judge it on cosmetic perfection.

Dunlop Foot Pump
Dunlop Foot Pump

2.0 out of 5 stars only suitable for VERY infrequent use, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dunlop Foot Pump (Automotive)
I've owned this pump for less than 8 weeks. In this time, it has been used to inflate one car tyre and 4 motorcycle tyres*, and already, it's now broken and cannot be used. The same as another reviewer said; the silver cap on the end of the barrel is failing. It's too weak, the hole where the push rod goes through, begins to open up & stretch, no longer supporting smooth movement of the rod - so it jams up when you try and use it.
Plus points - the pressure gauge was quite good compared to some others, and it was fairly cheap.
Negatives - just not up to the job, even with fairly light use* Only given 2 stars 'cos it did work, for a while, and if stored in your car for emergencies only, and used perhaps just twice per year - it might just be almost adequate.
I've bought about 4 foot pumps in the last couple of years, costing up to £22 each. ALL of them have failed after no more that around 8 usages. Doesn't anyone make a good, strong pump these days, that will last 5 years upwards?
* - my usage rate is overly tolerant - I actually bought TWO similar pumps at the same time, knowing that they would probably be poor. So, the work of blowing up one car tyre and 4 motorcycle tyres was shared between this failed Dunlop one, and another blue TUV GS one, costing less than four pounds. The pressure gauge on that one is awful and the airline pops off the valve at 30psi. It's still working, just, although is no doubt due for imminent failure. Apart differences in name and colour, most of these metal pumps seem to come from the same factory (?) are all as bad as each other.

Maypole MP791 Heavy Duty Foot Pump
Maypole MP791 Heavy Duty Foot Pump
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor value, fragile, and yet another broken foot pump, 2 Oct. 2012
Another fairly poor quality foot pump on the market. I bought this from a local car spares shop on their recommendation, after I'd complained about how pathetic my failed Michelin double barrelled pump had been. They said this was about the best on offer.

It seemed OK at first; it's virtually all steel construction, the only plastic bit being the "T" bar where air comes from the twin barrels and to the gauge.

It worked well enough for a while, with no leakages, although it would flex a bit, and getting pressures above about 35 / 40 psi seemed a little elusive. High enough for motorcycles & cars however.

Then after around a dozen uses, the frame popped apart at the hinge. The axle bar is peened over (like riveting) at the pivot point - and this just breaks after a while. I drilled the shaft and fixed it with a machine screw, which extended it's life for a while longer. Then after a few more uses, due to the flexing, the barrels and piston rods started to fall apart. It's now just a pile of junk - and yes - as these things don't get used very often - their expected lifetime of perhaps a dozen to 20 usages, takes over a year, and by then you've lost the receipt, and the will to live. I now have a collection of hoses and pressure gauges - hoping to one make a "best of" pump from all the salvaged components :)

Doesn't anyone produce a heavy, solid brass, metal pump like my Dad used for years and years and years? I'd pay £30 or more for a good one.

In the meantime I've just ordered a 4 quid one and a 6 quid one (so when the first one breaks, I'll have a spare to hand), but I really don't expect them to last long.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 11:51 AM BST

Seal Skinz Mid Weight Knee Length Sock Large
Seal Skinz Mid Weight Knee Length Sock Large

5.0 out of 5 stars comfy & does the job, 18 Feb. 2012
This is my second pair of similar Sealskinz products. I bought the mid-length ones first, then added these knee-high ones next, because they are more suited to my main application - for wearing under motorcycle boots. I've just fully tested them on 2 consecutive weekends; trail riding in Southern Spain, and then a Winter camping weekend in North Wales. One both occasions, the same socks were worn for 3 consecutive days. My feet stayed dry (although to be fair, there wasn't much rain, and most puddles were frozen!), but just as important, they were comfortable, offered some warmth, especially if some super-thin socks were worn underneath................ and they didn't get smelly. I'm happy :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4