Profile for R. Wright > Reviews

Content by R. Wright

R. Wright

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
World War II: The Autobiography (Brief Histories)
World War II: The Autobiography (Brief Histories)
by Jon E. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best world war two book out there., 23 May 2016
This book is a collection of first hand accounts from world war two. It is one of the most gripping books I have ever read. Although some of the first hand accounts are more exciting than others they are all interesting.

I would recommend this book to anyone at university who is doing a module on world war two as it provides fantastic primary sources on a multitude of events during the first world war.

Berghaus Twentyfourseven Backpack - Jet Black, 25 lt
Berghaus Twentyfourseven Backpack - Jet Black, 25 lt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 1 Feb. 2014
Great value for money. Reliable, sturdy with plenty of room. I use it everyday on my commute to work. Would defiantly recommend!

Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Halo games., 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Just comparing this to the other games, I would have to say it does really well. Don't pick up call of duty 4.9 get this!

The Essence of Buddhism
The Essence of Buddhism

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but free., 16 Oct. 2012
In the case of this book you don't get what you pay for, you get way way more than what you payed for, because you payed nothing...

Can't really fault this for what it is, short to the point description of Buddhism. If you are looking for something really in depth search elsewhere.

I think the title sums it up well "The Essence" its only a whiff, but a good whiff, can't complain!

A Long Long Way
A Long Long Way
by Sebastian Barry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with problems., 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Long Long Way (Paperback)
Of course reviews are all about peoples opinions on a subject, so thats what I will offer.

I found this book at times very hard to read because of the long tangents Barry goes on that completely take away from the story. My mind drifts sometimes and I just want to get to the best bits. I don't dislike a lot of these tangents, they create a great atmosphere sometimes, however I feel that some of them are just there for the sake of nothing and take away from the story and bore you.

I did enjoy this book, I got into the characters and sympathised greatly with Wille Dunne (the protagonist). I found the book really predictable though, there was only one but when my jaw dropped in surprise. Perhaps it is meant to be predictable, perhaps that adds to the sadness of the novel. The book defiantly touched me though because it did make me very sad.

I have said I enjoyed this book but come to think of it I am not sure if I enjoyed it or was immersed in it. Because I was not satisfied when I finished it nor was I happy that I have read it.

I should mention that it has great historical flaws (to some readers) but your average Joe won't be worried about the historical accuracy of the use of mustard gas.

I don't think I could recommend this book but I see nothing wrong with it, it paints an image so bleak with no redeeming factor that it just saddens you. I defiantly think this book is overrated.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Penguin Modern Classics)
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 27 Jun. 2011
I don't read many books but i have to say this is one of the best I have ever read.
Really hard to put down and really eye opening!
Pick it up!

Dragon Age 2 (Xbox 360)
Dragon Age 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 Mar. 2011
I have never been so disappointed at a game in my life. As a stand alone game i would say it was good, but compared to Dragon Age: Origins or either of the Mass Effect games this game is to put it plainly bad.

I will get the good points out of the way first. If you played the previous Dragon Age game you will be intrigued by the new setting outside Fereldon and understanding the different politics of the region. It expands the world of Dragon Age. Apart from that i don't really know how i can compliment the game any further. If i looked at it independently from its predecessor maybe, but Dragon Age: Origins is better than this game in almost every way.

It has a jumbled story, a graphical downgrade, an incredible strange hack and slash ideal, a removal of dialogue, uninteresting characters, less moral choices, less interesting quests, a strange difficulty curve and an absolutely terrible ending (They do vary slightly, but they share the same main point). The thing that confuses me the most is why they chose to make it a kinda hack and slash? Instead of pressing A to attack an enemy you have to repeatedly tap it? Why? Who was the genus behind that? It also takes longer to use your abilities so you won't be pressing X,Y or B very often. Also medical packs have a cool down delay? Why i really don't understand what the developers were thinking.

Honestly this is probably the biggest disappointment for me gaming wise. Bioware is still my favorite game developer but they need to understand that they will never appeal your common COD boy. Stop dumbing it down, please you are loosing fans/sales not gaining them.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2011 3:30 PM BST

Halo: Reach (Xbox 360)
Halo: Reach (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game_Front

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor for a halo game., 3 Jan. 2011
I find it difficult to explain why i disliked this game so much i had to sell it.
I have bought every single halo game since the first one for the PC/Xbox and loved them all. Even halo 3 ODST, i really liked it. I think one of the main reasons i dislike this game is the crowd it attracts: Squeaky, Annoying, Common fanboys! Online is over run by them.
This game also doesn't feel Halo in a way, the story is pretty poor and so is the campaign. Its a good game, balanced multiplayer, nice graphics but it may just not take a halo fans fancy.

The Saboteur (Xbox 360)
The Saboteur (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, a must buy!, 21 Sept. 2010
The Saboteur is a game set in occupied Paris during world war 2, it is incredibly atmospheric if a little silly at some times. Although the game does not seem to take itself seriously it actually feels quite tense at some times. The black and white filter in occupied area's really adds a touch of polish and class to the unknown masterpiece. Yes an unknown masterpiece this game is not popular enough for what it is worth and its worth a lot much more than the price it is being sold.

Graphics:
As i commented before really stunning visuals, the black and white filter really adds some atmosphere to the game and gives it some personality. The characters are quite detailed for such a large game in scale. But you may notice some dodgy textures occasionally but for the most part it is very good and you won't be unimpressed. No frame rate issues around as far as i am aware.

Gameplay:
This game feels like "Assassins Creed 2" impregnated "Grand Theft Auto 4" and made a beautiful baby. The mix of free climbing, hand to hand combat, shooting and driving really makes the game feel fresh and like you are the hero/heroin. The enemy AI in the game is of average intelligence although they will just sacrifice themselves sometimes but it won't effect your overall experience.

Story:

Metro 2033 (Xbox 360)
Metro 2033 (Xbox 360)
Offered by inteci

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like this game you are stupid., 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Metro 2033 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Simple as the title, the most underrated game of this generation folks.
BUY BUY BUY! You will never feel so much like you are in a story.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2011 1:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3