Profile for Amazon-ette > Reviews

Excel 2010 Bible
by John Walkenbach
Price: 20.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Excel 2010 Bible (Paperback)
Almost gave this 5stars but I had a couple of recent Excel problems in mind when I was reading this (yes, I read it from cover to cover) and was disappointed at how they were dealt with. An example is the INDIRECT function which got me out of a real bind recently (before I got this book) but which I would have missed if I had been using this book as my only reference material. I also bought Winston's Data Analysis and Business Modelling which gives great examples of the use of INDIRECT as well as many other practical problem solutions.

I've concluded that Walkenbach's book is best suited to beginner and medium users, whereas Winston's book is suited to medium and advanced users. Good to have both books on hand I think.

An Introduction to Database Systems: v. 1 (Systems Programming)
An Introduction to Database Systems: v. 1 (Systems Programming)
by C. J. Date

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult read, 28 May 2013
Re-Bought this for nostalgia. I can't believe how difficult the author made the explaining of normalisation and relational databases back then ( 1981). It really is not that complicated. A good example of how NOT to write a book.

Brother HL-5340D Mono Laser Printer
Brother HL-5340D Mono Laser Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value workhorse, 28 May 2013
A good value workhorse of a printer. I've been using remanufactured toner cartridges in it with no problems. Only issue is the duplex unit has started to give trouble with paper jams happening frequently. No problems at all printing single-sided. Recommended.

Provenance: How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art
Provenance: How a Con Man and a Forger Rewrote the History of Modern Art
Price: 7.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be made into a film!, 28 May 2013
Loved this. A cracking read. Definitely would make a great movie. Lots of detail which makes an incredible story believable. I have no faith in the world of fine art after reading this!

This Boy
This Boy
by Alan Johnson
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 28 May 2013
This review is from: This Boy (Hardcover)
What a wonderful way with words...they flow beautifully, making this a joy to read both for the very moving story told and the author's skill as a story-teller. One of the few books I've read where I wished there were three times as many pages. I do hope Johnson continues the story in a sequel. I need to hear, in his own words, how he made the transition into politics.

Creating Digital Collections: A Practical Guide (Chandos Information Professional Series)
by Allison Zhang
Price: 42.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hits the target!, 21 Nov 2009
I was expecting to be somewhat disappointed with this book simply because I expected so much from it. The opposite is the case; the books delivers on all the key aspects of designing, creating and delivering a digital collection, especially for someone who has never done this before. It genuinely IS a practical guide, with numerous examples from the authors' experiences with their own collections. Where it is particularly valuable is that it gives the rationale behind their decision-making and choices so that the reader really is getting tried and tested wisdom gained from their practical experience and expertise. It also contains a wealth of essential links to websites containing key information needed for your decision-making. Practical guides can be disappointing because they are neither practical nor credible, or they can be difficult to understand and have holes and gaps in the key areas just where you needed the answers most. This book delivers on all fronts and has no fault that I can find. I am actively using it to create my first online digital collection and this book has given me the confidence to believe that the result will be based on best practice and stand up to academic scrutiny. Fine praise indeed - I highly recommend this book as possibly the only one you will need to create your digital collection (for as long as the technological aspects remain current).

Jane Eyre [DVD]
Jane Eyre [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sorcha Cusack
Price: 9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream come true for me !, 14 Aug 2006
This review is from: Jane Eyre [DVD] (DVD)
Having tried a number of times over the past 30 years to get a copy of this without success, I CAN'T BELIEVE it has been released at last! Thank you BBC - Thank You, Thank you, Thank you - a million times over. This is the BEST EVER adaptation of Jane Eyre by light years. The Jayston-Cusack chemistry is awesome. I remember so many details of it from 1973 - I'm ordering it right now - I'll be waiting for the postman to deliver. I'M SOOOO HAPPY !!!!!!!! If you like Jane Eyre - you HAVE TO BUY THIS. I would have paid any amount of money to get my hands on this. Unbelieveable!

China Study, The: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health
by Colin Campbell
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable - a, 25 July 2006
The China Study is hard to put down. I am not a reader of scientific material and certainly not nutritional science but the message in this book is written in such a way that it is very readable and makes sense. Campbell brings home to me all those subtle warnings we hear about how we are creating major health problems for ourselves by what we eat. These are diseases of the affluent developed world, (a world which I am very happy to be a member of). He backs everything up with real evidence which, thankfully, is contained in a substantial reference section at the back of the book rather than in the text so as not to affect readability, but it comforted a sceptic like me to see that every statement he made came from a reputable, scientifically published source.

Linksys Compact USB 4-Port Hub
Linksys Compact USB 4-Port Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device - but remember it's not USB 2.0, 9 Jan 2004
Great device and super value but just be aware that it works with USB 1.0/1.1 compatible devices. I haven't tried it with any USB 2.0 devices but I presume it would not support them unless the devices state that they are (backwardly) compatible with USB 1.0/1.1, and many are.