Profile for Liyana > Reviews

Learning resources single jumbo magnifier
Offered by Just Childsplay
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars It made the day for my 5 year old nephew, 28 May 2012
I got it for my nephew's belated 5th birthday to accompany RSPB My First Book of Garden Bugs and it got him really excited. He was impatiently waiting for the rain to stop so he could start his exploration in the back garden.

As an adult I absolutely love the bright coloured frame - ours came in yellow - and the generous size of the lens.

Delivery was fantastic despite I opted for the free delivery option. The seller had it dispatched the very same day I ordered it which was on a Friday afternoon and it reached the address in the afternoon the following Monday. It arrived 2 days earlier from their earliest date of estimated delivery. So I'm pleased..

How Children Learn (Penguin Education)
How Children Learn (Penguin Education)
by John Holt
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I was so moved, 23 May 2012
Being a mom to a 2 year old boy and having to handle his tantrums quite often lately prompted me to start looking for books related to this. This book appealed to me because of its almost 99% positive review.

I couldn't put the book down the moment I started reading the first page. I was constantly aware that this book was first written some 30 odd years ago so I often reminded myself to look out for points of the author that might come across as irrelevant in today's time, but I couldn't - based on my personal experience learning as a child and right through my high school days and from my observation of school-going kids today. The author's keen observation and conclusion of the children he was in contact with were generally as relevant as what I could relate to today as someone who has been a child, then a student and now a mother.

His writing is concise and yet engaging - there were light moments when I actually laughed reading his description of the toddlers or children he was observing but the conclusion he drew from that particular scene that I found funny was not the least light at all, but rather sobering.

After finishing this book, I see my son in a different light now where I am more appreciative of his mischief and incessant curiosity. This book has definitely moved me...