Profile for F. Merritt > Reviews

Content by F. Merritt

F. Merritt (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Greenpan Michel Roux Collection 24 cm Covered Casserole
Greenpan Michel Roux Collection 24 cm Covered Casserole
Price: 50.00

1.0 out of 5 stars No thermolon coating, 10 Dec 2013
A large portion of the product description is given over to the benefits of a Thermolon coating. No doubt other pans have this coating, but this one does not.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 9:42 PM GMT

YSYT Deal Euro PU Leather lovely creative Diamond Pattern Squared tissue box holder-Dark Red

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stupid, 3 July 2013
Box looks splendid. Unfortunately, it is about 5mm shorter than every tissue box I have yet found (I have scoured both Boots and Sainsbury's, and all are 12cm high).

Why on earth the twits who made this did not check it would actually fit tissue boxes is beyond me. The galling thing is that it is 12cms wide, and 12 cms deep, so they have gone out of their way to make it slightly shorter than it needs to be.

Learn To Hold Your Breathe For Over Five Minutes Under Water
Learn To Hold Your Breathe For Over Five Minutes Under Water

1.0 out of 5 stars For crying out loud ..., 18 Feb 2013
How much confidence can you have in a freediving author who does not know the difference between 'breathe' and breath'?

Beginner's Guide to Underwater Digital Photography, The
Beginner's Guide to Underwater Digital Photography, The
by Larry Gates
Price: 19.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Diasppointing, 14 Oct 2012
I found this book a bit of a let-down. Too much of it is general photographic adivce, on such matters as composition (rule of thirds, etc) which are covered more fully in countless standard phtography books.

Unlike the splendid 'Underwater Photography for Compact Camera Users' (Maria Munn, 2012), we are not given any techinical information for most of the pictures, so we have no idea whether a strobe was used, what type of camera took the shot etc - as an extreme example, on rather nice picture of a fish has the caption 'Fish' - no other information at all.

There is also a lot of wasted space. Why do we need a picture of a pile of O-rings? Or a (rather dark) picture of a bloke 'function - checking' (i.e.looking into the viewfinder of) a camera? Not sure what we are meant to learn from these.

There is some useful information here, but I think the book is a wasted opportunity.

Blue Planet : Complete BBC Series (Special Edition 4 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Blue Planet : Complete BBC Series (Special Edition 4 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Price: 8.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Overblown, 8 Oct 2012
Yes, the photography is wonderful, but personally I found the following problems with this series:

1. The music and dubbed sound effects. The music score is highly intrusive; it surges up, along with slo-mo crashing waves, telling us we are now watching something Impressive, or Ominous, or A Bit Scary. Shut up and let me concentrate on what I am watching, please, so I can form my own opinion. Nor do I need swooshing noises every time something swims past the camera.

2. It lurches from one creature to the next, lingering long enough to get an arresting picture and relay one or two disjointed facts, but not long enough to give us any coherent understanding of what we are watching. For a lot of the deep-sea animals, which are (necessarily) filmed against a void, we are not even told what size they are, and with no point of reference it is impossible to tell.

3. Overall, I think this could have been far more valuable if it had slowed down a bit, stopped aiming direct for the 'Wow!' response, and given us a chance actually to learn and understand something.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2013 6:06 AM BST

Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100  Film
Fujifilm Neopan Acros 100 Film

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 20 Jan 2012
I have recently aquired a Pentax 6x7 (mirror up) and have now put a couple of Acros films through it. I then had them processed and printed by Peak Imaging.

I am utterly amazed by the quality of the results. It is very difficult to put into words - there is a kind of smooth, creamy quality to the prints - one I had enlarged to 8" x 8" (slight crop) is simply beautiful. I started out with film cameras, but have mainly shot digitally for the past few years. This really is like a return to real photography, and all I can do is urge anyone considering giving this a go to do so.

A Demon In My View
A Demon In My View
by Ruth Rendell
Price: 5.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Curate's egg, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: A Demon In My View (Paperback)
I agree with all of the laudatory reviews, except with regard to the ending, which I thought rushed and contrived.

Is It Legal - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Is It Legal - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Lumsden
Price: 8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A comic genius, 1 Oct 2010
Patrick Barlow is a grossly under-rated comic genius, who sadly seems rarely to be given the material he deserves. You have only to watch Mighty Moments from World History (why never released on DVD?), or anything else by the National Theatre of Brent, to see his poignant, beautifully timed and unique skills at work. At last we now have some 'Is it Legal', in which he is least given something decent to work with - I hope the rest follows soon.

Vessel Of Sadness
Vessel Of Sadness
by William Woodruff
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: Vessel Of Sadness (Paperback)
I realise that the adjective 'astonishing' is over-used, but in this case I think it is entirely appropriate.

I listened to the audio version, read superbly by Sam Kelly. Other reviewers have described the book much more thoroughly than I could, but I just wanted to add my voice to theirs. Initially, I chose this book because my uncle fought and died at Anzio, and i was hoping to learn a little more about what he must have gone through, but now that I have listened to it I feel it the most fitting, eloquent and beautiful tribute to all who shared his fate, in that battle and in all battles.

The Odyssey
The Odyssey
by Homer
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 25.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight niggle, 20 July 2010
This review is from: The Odyssey (Audio CD)
This is a real delight; the text is clear without sounding trivial, and Sir Ian reads with great energy and conviction.

My only concern - and I hesitate to say this about one of our greatest actors - is that he tends to let his voice fade away before the end of the last word in a phrase or sentence: so 'He was astonished' becomes 'He was astoni'. Only once or twice has this actually stopped me from understanding the text - you usually get enough of the word to guess - but I find it distracting, as if you can never quite relax into the experience, because you are always listening out for the next vanishing syllable.

I would still heartily recommend the CDs, but I would be interested to know if anyone else finds this a problem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3