Profile for M. J. Powell > Reviews

Content by M. J. Powell

M. J. Powell "o/i mndspc" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Dante: Inferno (Penguin Classics)
Dante: Inferno (Penguin Classics)
by Dante
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best translation, 16 July 2010
Of all the translations I have read, this one seems to best capture Dante's powerhouse tone. I'd read in short bursts however, because reading it in quantity I find myself stumbling on its rhythmic awkwardness: if you want to enjoy its poetic virtues don't come to it expecting the terza rima-like fluidity of Sisson's version, say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2011 12:50 PM GMT

Rain
Rain
by Don Paterson
Price: 8.30

1.0 out of 5 stars A poet in search of a subject, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Rain (Hardcover)
I have read books by Paterson, Nil Nil, and others - I remembered liking Paterson's Machado versions - . I see or I saw Paterson's work as on a par with Stephen Romer's, or Robin Robertson's, or Alice Oswald's. This new book was a serious disappointment however. I am like the other reviewer; I cannot believe how bad Paterson is in this book. I don't recollect the clumsy 'cleverness' in the earlier work. The first four poems seemed weak - so right from the off - so I turned to the last one 'Rain' and thinking about this, it may be that mine is a misreading, it struck me as truly poor - . I am going to re-read this book at a later date to see if I have made a mistake because my first reaction was to lose my temper with it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:52 AM BST

Sapphire HD5770 1GB VAPOR-X Graphics Card
Sapphire HD5770 1GB VAPOR-X Graphics Card

1.0 out of 5 stars A problem somewhere, 17 Feb 2010
I have a windows 7 64 bit dual core computer and this 5770 disabled the computer's ability to post. The card itself lit up but the hard drive would not wake. Nor would the monitor. It might be that my PSU is a little underpowered, but the pc should do something ... I presently have an Nvidia that runs at 96 Watts maximum, while the 5770 requires 108 Watts, which is not that different. I have reinstalled the Nvidia and will wait for the new Nvidia cards, which are coming out later this year.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2010 6:24 PM BST

Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land
by Robert A. Heinlein

1.0 out of 5 stars A would be interesting novel, 1 Sep 2000
This book is ... - well the best I can say is that it is an oppressive artless reading experience. It could easily have been far better. I found the characterisation laughable and that the dialogue never convinced me; generally speaking the book seems to retreat into a repetitively defensive understanding of moral sense. The endless pages of dead dialogue slow the story badly. After a while everyone seems to be speaking like a 60's husband and wife duo, in an American sitcom, it is adult baby talk sing song; it is so tepid ..... If the initial pages suggest an originality of tone; or if the initial ideas seem interesting, a problem soon appears because of the way that Heinlein succumbs to his own wilfullness; he evidently thinks that it is his responsibility to keep us informed about what to think. The book does contain an interesting novel, if it were to be cut (and here I am talking about the book that Heinlein initially published, itself cut drastically from the one published above) by about 150 pages. Most of the dialogue should go. How bad this novel is should be measured against how good his juvenile novels are. When he gets down to simple storytelling he is very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3