Profile for R. Forse > Reviews

Content by R. Forse
Top Reviewer Ranking: 177
Helpful Votes: 2069

R. Forse (Taunton, England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Apple iPhone 5S UNLOCKED Space Grey/Gold/Silver 16/32/64GB SIM FREE (16GB, Space Grey)
Offered by Xtra Cubby

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Sep 2013
After owning an iPhone 3GS a couple of years ago and deciding to make the switch to Android and then Windows phone, it was a big decision to go back to ios. I was impressed with the look of the iphone 5 last year, but not so much with the specification. This year the release of iphone 5s piqued my interest for a number of reasons, namely that it looked like the 5, but more importantly it was the shift to ios 7 and the improved 64 bit machine within it that really got me to think seriously about making the change back. Announcements like the biometric fingerprint scanner wasn't really of any interest to me, that's just gimmickry; right?

The experience out of the box is as I have come to expect from Apple. The phone and all it's components just feel so well crafted that it's just a cut above everything else out there (even the HTC one which was my previous favourite handset design). I have an iPad mini so the set up was seamless. I just entered my ICloud ID and away I went. Speaking of the set up process, the iCloud has really made this simple, all of my apps transferred straight over, as did my purchased music. I was slightly disappointed that the safari bookmarks I had set up on the iPad mini didn't transfer over but that's not a huge deal.

Then I, somewhat reluctantly, set up the fingerprint scanner. As stated above, I thought this was rather pointless but in actuality It was very simple to set up, and most importantly it really does work. My right thumb now let's me immediately into my phone (rather than a pass key - which can be used as a fail safe) and in almost a week of constant use it has never not worked for me first time. Even more impressive than this is that I have set up the print scan to purchase apps and music from the Istore. I've really been taken in by this feature after being initially skeptical so it seems Apple are onto a winner here.

The new ios features have been well covered, but my first impressions are that Apple have taken some useful features of Andriod (task manager), jail break (blocking numbers from calls and text) and their own innovations (control centre, photo organisation and the overall look and depth) and really made improvements to the operating system. It's early days of course but there is noticeable differences in using ios7 on the iphone 5s compared to the mini. These are mainly related to the smoothness and speed and this is where the 64 bit infrastructure cones into its own.

The battery life is ok; nothing great but it's certainly no worse than the nokia lumia 920 which had a bigger battery. It's not much to write home about but it's never not lasted me a full day and in almost a week has only gone down to the 20% remaining notification once. The addition of the control centre features means that it's now very easy to turn off wifi, Bluetooth and other battery draining features which makes the battery use considerably more efficient.

I was somewhat disappointed that the entry model didn't come with a 32GB memory. This is an area where Apple could have added value, especially given the increase in cost compared to the 5, which would in turn have increased the top end model to an impressive 128GB of storage.

Going for the white and silver model was a choice I'm happy with, though the black and space grey looks equally as impressive. Both versions look stylish and again, are set aside from the previous versions.

All in all I am very happy with the iphone and my decision to go back to ios on my mobile phone. Having a tablet and mobile with the same operating system is much more useful and adds an extra dimension when coming from my previous ios/windows combo. The use ability coupled with the really impressive design means that this is definitely the right phone for me. If you're on the fence about switching (back) to ios, I cannot imagine that this would leave anyone disappointed.

BRAND NEW SEALED APPLE IPHONE 5S 5GS 16 GB GOLD MOBILE PHONE TOP LATEST MODEL NEWLY RELEASED SIM FREE UNLOCKED FOR ALL NETWORKS WORLD WIDE UK ONLY SHIPPING GET IT IN YOUR HANDS ON SATURDAY 21-09-2013 UK SELLER

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Sep 2013

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Sep 2013

Teenage Dirtbags
Teenage Dirtbags

5.0 out of 5 stars The most fun CD I've ever bought, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Teenage Dirtbags (Audio CD)
It's as if someone got into my head and brought together a collection of my favourite/most fun songs of my late teens and early 20's. This, for the most part, is an absolutely pitch perfect window into my younger years.

With over 40 tracks on offer here it would be easy to find fault with some, and usually with compilations that would be accurate, but there is only one or two tracks which I wouldn't have chosen (Dance Dance by Fallout Boy is a decent song but a strange choice for this) and only a handful I would have wanted included (Summer Girls by LFO, A Little Respect cover by Wheatus, and a very select couple of others would have made my final cut) instead of what is there.

I've been listening at home, cycling and in the car for a couple of weeks now with no sign of getting fed up. It may not be the greatest collection of original, singer song writer classics in the world, but this is the most fun collection ever assembled and definitely the most fun CD I have ever bought.

Neo G MEDICAL GRADE OPEN PATELLA KNEE SUPPORT 'breathable design'
Neo G MEDICAL GRADE OPEN PATELLA KNEE SUPPORT 'breathable design'
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Very beneficial, 5 Sep 2013
I've used this for sport (including an intense circuit training session) for a couple of weeks now and I've been impressed with the results. It adds strength and support to the joint, which i needed after the Dr advised me of cartilage damage in my right knee, and the material allows the skin to breath without smothering the area.

Three separate straps allow for a flexible fit so it really should be a case of one size fitting most.

It does lose a star for the horrendous smell that come with the neoprene material, but I'm hoping that a couple more hand washes will get rid of this for good.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

5.0 out of 5 stars Hall of Fame, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hall of Fame (MP3 Download)
I first heard this through the WWE hall of fame marketing and advertising and I though it fit extremely well. It's catchy but the lyrics have a degree of meaning to them which is always welcome from a commercial song offering.

It's one of my most played songs at the moment, and the wife doesn't seem to mind too much so everyone's a winner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 10:53 AM BST

4 Chords [Explicit]
4 Chords [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: 4 Chords [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
4 Chords is a genuinely funny and very clever comedy rock song which takes a series of light hearted jabs and the commercial music industry by playing reem of different songs to the same chord structure.

The video is also excellent if you ever get chance to see it (the Axis of Awesome have a you tube channel).

It almost loses a star for the unnecessary F bomb which is dropped towards the end when they fit their own commercial pop song (Birdplane) into the collection, but on reflection it's not enough to take away from this excellent offering.

X-Rocker Rockster Gaming Chair, 79 x 54 x 70 cm, Black
X-Rocker Rockster Gaming Chair, 79 x 54 x 70 cm, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars If only it was wireless, 27 Aug 2013
This was a gift from my wife and, though I was initially a little skeptical that it would make a difference, it has added an extra dimension to my gaming experience and, as well as that, it's actually a comfy chair in its own right and I will often chose to sit on this when watching Tv or films alone.

As long as your legs are hanging over the end of the chair the ergonomics work really well and no matter how excited the game may be, there is no danger of the chair tipping over. The sound is impressive with the 2.1 system working well and offering a heightened gaming experience, especially in games like Bioshock and Dead Space which rely on atmosphere and suspense.

If I had written this review a few years back it would have been an easy 5 stars but unfortunately, in 2013, my expectations are shifting and I don't expect wires to trail across my floor. If there was or is a wireless X Rocker chair by the time I look to replace this, it will be an absolute must buy.

Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder
Time Tutelary Automatic Watch Winder
Offered by UK Memory Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheap, 27 Aug 2013
I bought this from the Amazon warehouse and it arrived faulty (it wouldn't turn on) so I cannot comment on the performance of the winder. This review, and primarily the 3 stars, is for the appearance.

Taking aside the fact that it was used (and so had some marks), I was disappointed with the general look and feel. It feels plastic and flimsy and wasn't what I was hoping for or expecting. I've recently looked in some of the jewellers in my high street to make a comparison and there are higher quality products out there that, while they may cost more, feel of a much greater quality.

Dyson DC44 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC44 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 22 Aug 2013
I have to admit, I was sceptical when my wife announced that she wanted to purchase one of these slim dyson vacuum cleaners. It just didn't seem like it could possibly be good enough.

We moved into our house 3 years ago, and in that time we have previously bought 4 vacuum cleaners prior to this one due to breakdowns (3 Hoovers and 1 Vax). They were all relatively cheap and none of them stood the test of time. I would suggest that the adage "buy cheap, buy twice" has finally sunk in.

I must say that the existing Amazon reviews in particular provided a balanced yet persuasive view and was certainly the decision making element that finally lead me to give in to my wife's demands!

Complete with a 2 year warranty, I was convinced and we went for the animal version due to having 2 cats. What was interesting/mildly concerning was that I vacuumed on the Sunday with the Vax, when the hose broke (again) meaning that the stairs were impossible to clean. By the Tuesday the Dyson had arrived (complete with partial charge) and I wanted to give it a go. Considering the house (minus the stairs) had been cleaned 2 days prior, the amount that the dyson picked up was extraordinary.

It's simple to empty the unit for the most part, but the first time did catch me out as the dust tell out differently than expected and it emptied over my feet rather than into the bin. I'd suggest ensuring you are comfortable with the mechanism before using the dyson.

The attachments for the stairs is particularly useful. Ours also came with an additional box of attachments that I doubt will ever get much use but they're nice to have (you know, in case I ever want to vacuum my blinds!). I'm a fan of the manoeuvrability with the roller ball, and the weight in general too. These were both selling points to us after our chunky and clunky Vax, and it certainly delivers on that front.

From a 5 hour charge we get around 22 minutes on the standard setting (much less on max), and this is enough to vacuum the whole house. It's probably the kind of thing we'll laugh at in 20 years "(remember that dyson whose battery only lasted 20 minutes") but for us, with a medium sized 3 bed, it is perfectly adequate. If the house was much bigger though I would question it's effectiveness without a changeable battery or at least the option to use directly from the mains.

Overall this has been a revelation in our house. I'm not sure i could go back to a normal upright vacuum cleaner now. Cordless cleaning is the way for me now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16