Profile for Sally > Reviews

Content by Sally

Sally

50 Peaks By Hi-Tec Junior Shore Jr Navy/Sand/Light Blue Casual Sandal A000940/032/01 12 Child UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust sandal, good for wide footed child, 28 July 2012
Well made sandal with good toe protection and a synthetic lining which doesn't seem to rub or cause blisters, even though the sandal feels quite stiff overall. Fits a child with wide feet ( H fitting ) with no complaints so far.

Hi-Tec Junior Tt Ez Sport Dark Grey/Graphite/Black/Chartreuse Hiking Shoe Non Waterproof O001438/051/01 12 UK Junior

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summer trainer for wide footed child, 28 July 2012
Bought this as a general use lightweight shoe/trainer over the school summer holidays for a 7 year old with wide feet ( H width ). As stated, it is not waterproof. It is doing the job we bought it for very well so far. We haven't needed to use the removable footbed feature to increase the size yet so are unable comment on that.

Acctim 13530 Freja Alarm Clock, Pink
Acctim 13530 Freja Alarm Clock, Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Acctim pink silent sweep analogue alarm clock, 4 Jan. 2012
Bought for Christmas for an 8 year old, she loved it.
Would have liked one in yellow but couldn't find one.
Silent sweep means you are not kept awake by ticking second hand.
Face lights up when you press any part of the clear front cover - easy to do in the dark.
The only downside is the 12-hour nature of the alarm setting, and the sensitivity when the hour hand is near the alarm pointer - so if they go to bed at 7.30pm and you want the alarm to ring at 7.30am, you have to go back into their room quite a time after 7.30pm to set the alarm, or risk setting it off while they are trying to get to sleep.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 10:04 PM GMT

Art Academy: Learn Painting and Drawing Techniques with Step-by-Step Training (Nintendo DS)
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Academy for DSi, 3 Sept. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this as a birthday present for an 8-year-old, they love it.
I tried it out myself and found it very rewarding (as someone who has no artistic talent whatsoever!). It allowed me to create pictures on screen which I never have thought I could, with step-by-step lessons.
Definitely the best family DSi game/activity we have found to date, I would recommend it to anybody who is interested in it.

Bugsy Malone (Sing-Along-Edition) [DVD]
Bugsy Malone (Sing-Along-Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Baio
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Bugsy Malone Singalong DVD, 14 Feb. 2011
Bargain price at less than £4. I find the whole story a bit weird, but the songs are brilliantly tuneful and catchy. 7- and 5-year olds are using the DVD to help them learn their speaking and singing parts for an amateur stage play.

Not Everyone is Nice: Helping Children Learn Caution with Strangers (Let's Talk)
by Frederick Alimonti

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Everyone Is Nice, 24 Aug. 2010
UK reviewer.
I bought "Not Everyone is Nice" 2003/2009 (hereafter called NEIN) along with "Who Is A Stranger And What Should I Do?" 1985 and "It's My Body" 1982, to help teach a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old with mild autism about personal safety when out and about.
The only disadvantage of NEIN for us was the American vocabulary e.g. mommy, kindergarten, crossing guard, curb, sweater, candy bar, pet it.
The illustrations are in colour like the cover, and every other page is an illustration, so the text does not dominate.
There is a list of tips for kids and a list of tips for parents and guardians at the back.
We found this a nice simple introduction to the subject. The analogy of the lion fish and sea anemone not being what they seemed worked really well with both the 5- and the 7-year old.
Once we got over the vocabulary problems, I think it was useful and well worth the money.

Who is a Stranger and What Should I Do? (Albert Whitman Concept Paperbacks)
Who is a Stranger and What Should I Do? (Albert Whitman Concept Paperbacks)
by Linda Walvoord Girard

4.0 out of 5 stars Who Is a Stranger and What Should I Do? 1985, 24 Aug. 2010
UK reviewer.
I bought "Who Is a Stranger and What Should I Do?" (from here onwards I'll call it WIASAWSID) along with "Not Everyone is Nice" 2003/2009 and "It's My Body" 1982, to help teach a 5-year old and a 7-year old with mild Autism about personal safety when they are out and about.
The illustrations in WIASAWSID were not full colour like the cover, they were lifelike multicultural pencil drawings printed in black, white and blue. There was a lot of text, and the author addressed the child directly. In my opinion it was more useful as an independent reading book for the 7 year old (who is a very good reader) than for the 5 year old (Not Everyone is Nice is simpler, and in my opinion better at this stage, for the 5 year old). However, the 5 year old was interested enough to listen to an adult reading it.
The text is very good, and the only disadvantage of WIASAWSID from our point of view was the American vocabulary e.g "crossing guard" instead of "lollipop man/woman", "garbage man", "grocery-store clerk", "public bathroom" instead of toilet, "gas station" etc. At. the end, there is a review of safety rules and a list of questions to ask parents and teachers, a "what if?" quiz with answers, and on the last page are guidance notes for parents.
Once we got around the vocabulary, we found this book really useful, and well worth the money. It seems very cheap compared to other, less useful, books I have bought.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Slatted Bath Board, 20 Feb. 2010
Product was as described, well packaged, and arrived promptly despite being ordered at the last minute in the snowy period just before Christmas 2009.

Adjustable Toilet Frame
Adjustable Toilet Frame
Offered by Imbatemp Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Adjustable toilet frame, 20 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Adjustable Toilet Frame
Item was as described, very well packaged, and arrived promptly, despite being ordered at the last minute during the snowy period in the run up to Christmas 2009.