Profile for Mr. S. P. Thompson > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. P. Thompson

Mr. S. P. Thompson "SteveT" (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb)
Johnny Morris Bedtime Stories (Vintage Beeb)
by Johnny Morris
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Ageless storytelling., 30 Jun 2010
How old is this....I remember Johnny Morris as a youngster and being much amused by the way he took over the personna of various animals and told his stories so how surprised was I when my grand-daughter, who still likes her mum to tell her a tale before bedtime took to this CD. It's a regular bedtime listen and although it sends her (eventually) to sleep she remembers the stories well so Johnny ( Rest his soul..)is still getting through to kids. Actually, he gets through to us adults who remember him too. He had a unique way of doing things, yeah we know that the various animals he voiced could NEVER have said the things Johnny voiced but if they had, well , I reckon they would have said exactly what Johnny came out with. Excellent kidstuff.

I Am Ozzy
I Am Ozzy
by Ozzy Osbourne
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy...over the top.....again., 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Paperback)
Oh yeah...OK Ozzy, I'll believe you even if I have heard half of the anecdotes in here before. Who cares...somehow Ozzy has become a national treasure and lets face it they don't do rock stars like him anymore, just a bunch of wimps who couldn't bite the top off a Big Mac, let alone a live bat. (Or a rubber one come to that!!) Great book, good for a laugh and .....i'd have bought it anyway because he had the decency to reply to my get well letter when he was 'quad-biked'.
Seriously....it IS a good and humourous read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2010 5:24 PM BST

CHILD FLAMENCO DANCER FANCY DRESS COSTUME
CHILD FLAMENCO DANCER FANCY DRESS COSTUME
Offered by Party Domain Ltd
Price: 13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewardingly accurate., 29 Jun 2010
We bought this for our grand-daughter who was doing an assignment at school for national dress in Europe over the years, (or something like that....) Anyway it proved to be a well made and durable outfit and realistic enought to get her an award and commedation for the most realistic dress. It really was well made and well stitched and would, under normal play wear probably last quite well. Good play/wear value at the price.

Horrible Histories - Series 1 [DVD]
Horrible Histories - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mathew Baynton
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical history......, 29 Jun 2010
I have bought this damn DVD TWICE...first time was for my Grand-daughter, an avid 'Horrible History' fan, TV, books the whole thing. Trouble was I larfed sooo much at this (childishly wicked) way of looking at things that when the DVD disappeared into her bedroom...(sulk, sulk...) I bought another copy for me...as ther missus would say, 'AT YOUR AGE!!!'. It's a brilliant way of depicting the past. Funny yet kinda accurate. A historical must for kids 6 to errrr..60......

Tinplate Toy Cars of the 1950s and 1960s from Japan: The Collector's Guide
Tinplate Toy Cars of the 1950s and 1960s from Japan: The Collector's Guide
by Andrew G. Ralston

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector heaven., 31 May 2010
Having previously bought Andrew Ralston's books on Plastic and Die-cast cars of the 50's and 60's and a collector of all things 'wheeled' I found them absolutely absorbing and it made sense to follow it up by buying a copy of this book also. The book is packed with great illustrations and factual information and we really should have noted that if the Japanese could make such super models with tin what would they do with sheet steel. It is also a typical Veloce Books publication, quality paper, binding and super quality printing. I rate these books highly and would suggest they are a must for serious model car collectors and enthusiasts.

Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth Muscle
Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth Muscle
by Anthony H. Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable muscle....., 31 May 2010
As a fan of American cars since childhood once I spotted this book I simply had to have it. It was duly despatched from the states in double quick time and was 'off the press' mint condition and one of the most comprehensive and colourful books on the subject I have ever read. Nicely set out in chapters that follow sensibly on from each other they are packed with information, whether you like the technical stuff or just reading about the way this series of car were developed, this book is a must. A nice mix of illustrations old, recent and retaken ones of restored models make this quite hefty sized book worth every penny...and for what you get it's really not expensive. 12/10. (Now where can I get a Road Runner...beep-beep...)

The Hits
The Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars DC5 - Still great., 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Hits (Audio CD)
Well I'll tell you what...I was at the Majestic Ballroom when the DC5 did 'Glad all over' never a noise like it....
I know people review music by what they hear but with bands like this you have to have had really experienced them before you can make any truly constructive comment.
Lets start by saying that the DC5 version of 'Do you love me' knocked Brian Pooles version into a cocked hat and was VERY close to the Isleys original with Mike Smiths vocals.
I know memory can fade a bit but what I remember of the music I heard live was pretty well what I hear on this CD, the Dave Clark Five were a bloody brilliant band of the sixties and I fear more appreciated by the by the yanks than over here.
I have a grand-daughter of 12 who has heard me play this CD and asked who it was because 'I liked that one...' and that's what it's about. Whether they were doing a foot stomping 'Glad all over' or the heart wrentching 'Everybody know's' the Dave Clark Five did great music and I'm 'glad' they were part of my teen years.
Great music, great value album....if you are into '60's....just buy it. 12/10
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2011 6:55 PM BST

Bygone Buses of Kent and Sussex: 1945-60 v. 2
Bygone Buses of Kent and Sussex: 1945-60 v. 2
by Malcolm John

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little bus book..., 23 Feb 2010
I wasn't expecting too much of this small secondhand book so I was very pleasantly surprised with it's content. Fresh (to me) pictures in clear, black and white of buses and bus services that I can remember. This is probably the type of book by a small capapcity publisher that is only really appreciated by a true bus enthusiast..so if you are a fan of East Kent and Maidstone and District buses...try and get a copy of this brilliant little book.

It Should've Been Me
It Should've Been Me
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoot!, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: It Should've Been Me (Audio CD)
I saw Zoot and the BRB live back in '65. No I didn't, I EXPERIENCED Zoot Money and his band live and even now I can remember it as one of the best live shows I have ever seen.
I bought this album back then and lost it when my brother took it when he got married so when you get to this funny age(that I am) when you try to recapture those good times I was sooooo pleased not to be disappointed by hearing this album again.With bonus tracks too!
Never mind how good Zoot was at the Hammond, forget Andy Summers...and the other guys in the band, collectively they were brilliant. Zoot is one of the few people who can cover James Brown songs convincingly, (listen to his James Brown medley on the album 'Zoot!') and he does 'The Cat' every bit as good as Jimmy Smith. So many great tracks...for years I used to sing some of the lyrics from 'My wife can't cook'to the missus if we had a duff dinner....She was REALLY pleased to hear that track again..
Best tracks, aforementioned 'My wife can't cook', 'Back door blues' and...nah...they're all great.
We could do with a modern day Zoot Money to show what REAL R&B is......

Classic Bus Tests
Classic Bus Tests
by Peter Waller

2.0 out of 5 stars Great reading., 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Classic Bus Tests (Hardcover)
I have always loved buses, probably because of the long bus rides to school as a kid. AEC Regents and old Thames Valley Bristols, the smell of diesel and hot clutches in traffic....
So when I saw this book in typical Ian Allen format I had to get it and was in no way dissapointed. It turned out to be the 'Top Gear' of the bus world in the '30's to the 50's. Proper road tests with good descriptions of the vehicles capabilities plus all the technical data supported by some of the best black and whites pictures I have come across. If you are a bus enthusiast you HAVE to have this book.
I read it three times since i've had it, once to look at the great photos, once to read the well written test text and once again to put text and pictures together.Serious 10/10
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2012 6:50 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7