Profile for Mr. S. P. Thompson > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. P. Thompson

Mr. S. P. Thompson "SteveT" (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Best Of Classic Motorcycles [DVD]
The Best Of Classic Motorcycles [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Rev it up ......, 22 Feb. 2010
I love these DVD's. Maybe it's because i'm getting to the old git stage of my life....dunno?? The thing is all these bike (and car/truck) DVD's that have Gerry Burr stumbling his way through the impromtu commentary and interviews are so compulsive viewing. It's a bit like being down the pub next to the boring old fart that you can't move away from because everything he says is so fascinating that you suffer it anyway. The camera work isn't brilliant but it gets the best shots of the bikes and Gerry gets away with his gaffs due to his lovely accent. (Is that Gloucester or Zummerzet...?) No matter. If you like old bikes and being bored by the old fart down the pub this is the DVD for you. Personally......(I suppose as an old fart...) I rate it nine and a half out of ten. It aint expensive buy it and enjoy it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 9:26 AM BST

The Very Best Of Gerry & Pacemakers (Repack)
The Very Best Of Gerry & Pacemakers (Repack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., 22 Feb. 2010
We used to have so many of these songs on 45's and L.P.s.....what happened to them? Who pinched 'em? No matter this CD gives great reproduction and just about every great track G & the P's ever did is on it. Probably one of their best, 'Shot of Rhythm and Blues' isn't but for anyone who wants to hear great '60's tracks this is the one.
I used to listen to these songs constantly and WHY DOES 'I like it' always remind me of Algebra homework so much??????Maybe 'cause I listened to Gerry and liked it while I did the homework which I despised so much.
Wanna relive the early '60's Mersey beat...buy this blinkin' CD..............

Top Gear's Midlife Crisis Cars
Top Gear's Midlife Crisis Cars
by Matt Master

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh..c'mon..., 9 Dec. 2009
Meaningless claptrap etc..etc..? C'mon...do you watch 'TopGear' and not expect to be entertained??? Do you watch it for serious motoring journalism???? Exactly.
I've (thankfully) passed the midlife crises where such cars would 'woo' me but by Ch---t I had to chuckle at his book. Read it in the sense in which it was meant to be taken , if you're a head up you're anus petrolhead buy 'Autocar' or suchlike and talk torque and leave us guys that take motoring in a lighter vein to these great 'Top Gear' books. Hey 'Top Gear' guys...suggestion for new volume...'How to identify jerks who think they are into cars'.....

Pets Have Souls Too
Pets Have Souls Too
by Jenny Smedley

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting thought..., 17 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Pets Have Souls Too (Paperback)
We love animals and have had many pets but our dogs have been more than pets,they were members of the family. This book was a comforting experience.
We have lost our beloved pet dogs but my cousin who lives in the U.S. lost her two long standing companions, two Beagles called Teddy and Linus and she wrote to us that if there are no dogs in heaven she doesn't want to go....I know what she means and this book makes any pet lover who has lost their dog, (and I guess heaven is probably NOT the domain of pet dogs either..)feel much better about their loss.
You can't recommend this book, if you need to you will read it and be comforted by it, little else needs to be said.
Since I originally did this review our beloved Jack Russell aged 12 years passed on(5th January 2010) and thanks to this book our grief is less than it could have been. We look forward to seeing him again on the 'Rainbow Bridge'
This IS a good book.

Toy Cars: An International Survey of Tinplate and Diecast Cars from 1900 to the Present Day (Collector's All Colour Guides)
by Gordon Gardiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Brmmmm..Brmmmm....., 17 Nov. 2009
I loved this book , nostalgia with a capital N.
You know, every now and then you get a book which as you read it you bore the 'missus' with 'I had that one and that one' and so it goes. This is that book, from the Dinky or Matchbox to the Tri-ang pedal car that your older brother used to push you around the street in at at least TWICE the intended speed.......
It is a lovely book although this particular print is a little dated now but still packed with well taken photographs of those long lost cars that we used to zap around.
This is a book for blokes of a certain age....a book you ponder at the pages of pictures and ponder on your memories.
Ahhhhhh......12/10

Memories of the Air War in East Anglia
Memories of the Air War in East Anglia
by Martin W. Bowman

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic history., 17 Nov. 2009
This book was everything I wanted it to be regarding the U.S.A.A.F. in this area during WWII. Full of nostalgic photo's and anecdotes plus pictures taken recently showing whatever legacy remains from the days of those brave 'yanks' flying those daylight missions.
My father in law was in the RAF and flew Lancasters until being shot down in 1943 and he once said to me that even flying in the dark you felt there was nowhere to hide so as far as the yanks were concerned flying fixed formations in daylight...rather them than me....
This book gives you a good insight into everything about the American flyboys down to their favourite drinking haunts in East Anglia and I should think this must be a 'got to' read for ALL aviation historians, UK or US or anywhere else come to that......

Motorcycles
Motorcycles
by James Gibb

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK (I suppose...), 23 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Motorcycles (Hardcover)
I ordered this book well in advance based on the title and information supplied. As my review title states, it's alright...and that's it. I'm not quite sure at what niche the book is aimed at. It is a well produced book with copious photo's of up to date superbikes in the best colour print you will find but precious little information. So, is this book aimed at kids who like to look at pictures, grown up's who like to look at bike pictures or enthusiasts who like a good bike book?
Truth is this is the book is the under 15 kid biker equivalent of the supercar poster on the wall in the 1970's, unless you can't read, sensible bike enthusiasts and afficionados ....buy something else. 6/10. (And that's only because of the illustrations..........)

Top Gear: My Dad Had One of Those
Top Gear: My Dad Had One of Those
by Giles Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Er..yes, I did have quite a few of those....., 22 Oct. 2009
Having previously purchased the similar 'Crap Cars'book which on reading found out that I had owned a few of them it came as no surprise to see some of the same cars in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and the memories....the Marina, packing up at the traffic lights, the 105E Anglia...that would never start, the 1100 that as a mechanic working on one would guarantee to skin ALL your knuckles removing the rust ridden sub frame assemblies...after just two years. I even had a friend with a Moskovitch that was so bad he buried it in his back yard..........
The book is great, the illustrations are good and some even selected from advertising literature of the time.Yes OK, the book is small(and awkward for fitting in your bookshelf) but it is well made and sturdily bound and quite capable of withstanding being passed around your mates,the 'Here Dave, remember these...'sort of thing.
Don't know how far you can go along this line though, maybe a 'My Granded had one of those' featureing just before and post WWII cars, old Morris 8's and Ford Pop's, (now my Grandad DID have one of those........)
I recommend to the point of 9 and 1/2 out of ten and good value for the dosh too.

The Heyday of the British Lorry: Historic Commercial Vehicles in Colour
The Heyday of the British Lorry: Historic Commercial Vehicles in Colour
by Malcolm Broad

4.0 out of 5 stars Heyday of the lorries, modern days pictures....., 5 Oct. 2009
I like the format of the latter day Ian Allan albums, whether bus or truck etc, all clean, crisp colour photos, exactly what you want. But is it?. As an ex lorry driver although it's nice to see the bright restored (and authentic??) liveries as I remember it your 'steed' was as clean as these examples once in a blue moon....you were too busy to keep 'em like this. I think I would have preferred this 'Heyday' book to have perhaps contained less pictures in exchange for real photo's of working trucks in their time. Bookwise, you can't fault it, well bound, well printed and well worth buying....but 'Heyday'??????

British Motor Cycles Since 1950: Greeves, Indian, James, Norton, Norman, Osc, Panther and Royal Enfield v. 3
by Steve Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent volume.., 30 Sept. 2009
As I stated in my review of Volume 2 of this series of books by Steve Wilson they are excellent and my ambition is to own them all EXCEPT I was a little dissapointed on receipt as the book description also included OSC, Panther and Royal Enfield which are most definately NOT covered. however what is covered in this book is done so in a fully informative and readable way...maybe a little TOO much on the Norton marque, but there again I never was a Bracebridge St or AMC fan anyway. I always felt that AMC. like BMC by amalgamating and badge engineering and thinking that would be OK speeded up the downfall of the British motorcycle industry anyway.
The book and the series are great...now where are Volumes 1,4 and 5????

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7