Profile for John Wigan > Reviews

Content by John Wigan

John Wigan (Manchester, England)

Seagate Expansion 2 TB External Hard Drive, USB 2.0
Seagate Expansion 2 TB External Hard Drive, USB 2.0
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars I got the 'Click of Death' within a few days, 14 Mar 2010
Unfortunately within a few days of starting to use this hard drive it started making a very loud clicking noise. The noise happens when I try to access the drive but it also makes the noise even when I am not accessing it - it just starts up clicking and clicking, on and on. Completely unacceptable and I do not trust my data with it.

Also, when I am downloading a file to the hard drive my computer will stop recognising the drive mid download. Not good.

Further, if I try to watch, for example a video (accompanied by very loud clicking noise from the drive), the video is jerky, keeps freezing up, just stops, often the drive stops being recognised by my computer mid play. My computer is a brand new intel core i7 processer desktop - it does not play jerky video except when this drive is involved.

Often my computer stops recognising the drive, and then it starts working again and it is assigned another drive letter which completely messes up my partial downloads. I have to manually re-name the drive.

I have googled this drive and can see this is a known and very common fault so it is going back to Amazon. Just very annoyed at all the hassle it has caused me.

In the past I have had a Maxtor drive which died, two Western Digital drives which have never given me a problem and still continue today, and this Seagate drive. Seagate and Maxtor are owned by the same company - I will not be buying from them again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2010 9:19 PM GMT

Departures and Arrivals
Departures and Arrivals
by Eric Newby

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming and humorous short stories., 16 Feb 2002
In these short stories Newby, as always, tells it like it is. With a great sense of humour and a liberal dose of cynicism Newby describes his travels. If nothing happens then nothing happens but Newby describes it with an attention to detail that will bring back memories of long forgotten trips. If you want made up stories of travellers wrestling with tigers and meeting Kings then buy another book - Newby describes puntured tyres on cycling trips, stray dogs, dodgy food and a London long gone. He makes you want to hit the road and that is the highest compliment for a travel writer in my opinion.
This is not his finest book but these stories are tasty bite size snacks which will leave you hungry for more.