ARRAY(0xa986e018)

Profile for Dangerous Dave > Reviews

Content by Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave "Silver Legend" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Glasgow Curse
The Glasgow Curse
Price: 4.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Like wading through treacle., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Glasgow Curse (Kindle Edition)
I persevered to just over halfway through this book finding it very heavy going and somewhat disjointed. Then I had to admit defeat and give up on it.

Longlife 72 Bottle Wine Rack
Longlife 72 Bottle Wine Rack
Price: 34.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple wine rack, 22 Jan 2014
The finished product is a practical means of storing wines, though it would not win any prizes in 'Homes Beautiful' being very utilitarian.

For the price it's as good as one would expect though it's best relegated to an out-of-the-way corner.

If I buy another I shall use screws to assemble it rather than the nails provided - the use of a powered screwdriver would be essential for the otherwise wrist-breaking job.

Yes, I shall buy another.

Lovejoy - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Lovejoy - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McShane
Offered by Revelation Films Direct
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories and acting - shame about the abysmal .sound track!, 19 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed the Lovejoy series when it was originally transmitted, though it went downhill when Eric left, his replacement being quite objectionable.

When I saw that the full set of discs was available at a reasonable price I could not resist their purchase but have been very disappointed with the sound quality on the discs that I've played so far, it is of a very low level and even when the volume is raised to a level that should make it audible much of the dialogue is muffled and indistinct.

I'd gladly give the set five stars but for the abysmal sound

Rolson Syphon Pump (2 Pieces)
Rolson Syphon Pump (2 Pieces)
Offered by Motorcount Ltd.
Price: 2.00

1.0 out of 5 stars ROLSON SYPHON PUMPS - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, 14 Sep 2013
Having used Colley syphon pumps for years I thought that the Rolson and similar Duratool Pumps would be good replacements for my rather old, damaged by mice(!) Colley ones -WRONG!!

These are absolutely dreadful, the suction release cap on top does not, as advised, stop the flow for the simple reason that the nipple on top of the ribbed pump chamber does not have a hole in it to break the suction when the cap is unscrewed. The cap has a small 'pip' inside which is obviously meant to close a (non-existent) hole in the nipple but as it had been tightly assembled to the hole-less nipple in manufacture the 'pip' is badly distorted, meaning that even if I make a hole in the nipple, which itself is very poorly formed, it is unlikely to provide a good seal to allow the syphon to function as it should.

AVOID THESE TWO BRANDS AND BUY A GENUINE COLLEY PUMP; THEY'RE THREE TIMES THE PRICE BUT A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER!

I've given 1 star because there is no option for MINUS 5 stars.

Hustle - Complete BBC Series 1-8 [DVD] [2012]
Hustle - Complete BBC Series 1-8 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Adrian Lester
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from the 'Spooks' team., 8 Sep 2013
Well written, well produced, well acted. Many clever stories with fast-paced action and some surprising twists. Excellent value for money.

Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw
Price: 33.50

3.0 out of 5 stars INSPECTOR MORSE BOX SET, 17 Aug 2013
I recently bought, second-hand, the full set contained in the pull-out drawer box and have watched 4 episodes so far.

I regret to say that I have been very disappointed in the picture quality of all four, it is contrasty, harsh and, in places, very noisy/grainy even allowing for the fact that the original recordings are now some 25 years old.

The sound quality also leaves a lot to be desired, being very muffled and indistinct at times, even though I listen via a high quality audio system and not the abysmal 'loud-sqeakers' fitted to my Samsung TV. Much of the dialogue in the early part of the fourth episode, 'The Wolvercote Tongue', is verging on the unintelligible. Even Morse's speech is sometimes difficult to make out whilst that of the American characters was nigh impossible most of the time.

So far it has been a disappointing experience and I hope that later episodes show an improvement as these serious shortcomings greatly detract from my enjoyment of a well-written and generally well acted series.

It is possible that later issued sets have been cleaned-up and that mine is an early edition which would account for, but not excuse, the poor quality.

AccuPower LCD Fast Charger IQ328 for AA / AAA batteries
AccuPower LCD Fast Charger IQ328 for AA / AAA batteries
Offered by Accu Power
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best NiMH cell chargers I've owned., 24 July 2013
I bought this after reading numerous reviews of it and the apparently similar bc-700/bc-900 and have not been disappointed, although I've had it for only a month or so and cannot comment on its longevity.

It is less versatile than the Powerex WizardOne MH-C9000, which I also have, in that it deals with all installed cells as a batch rather than individually, as does the MH-C9000, but at less than half the price of the latter it is very good value.

It is useful in checking the capacity of cells, so similar ones can be sorted into sets, and it has the facility to 'reform' old or little-used cells in addition to conditioning new ones prior to use.

My only gripe is with the instruction leaflet; it seems to have been translated into "English" from Klingon via Venusian by someone who understood none of them!

CONTOUR ENERGY REAA4RTU 4 x AA Pre-Charge Rechargeable Batteries - ( Console Accessory)
Offered by Fish-4-u
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rechargable AAs I tried., 3 July 2013
I got my Contour AA cells from Ebuyer "free" with the purchase of a Xantu charger.

As an aside the charger seems marginally better than other lowish priced ones I've tried as it deals with each cell separately, gives a rough indication of the charging progress and doesn't charge at a rate that overheats the cells.

The cells, however, are some of the best I've had so far. Although the mAh capacity is not stated they appear to be about 1900 to 2000 which is comparable with Lidl's "Tronic" brand of 'Ready to Use' ones at about 1900 (2100 is claimed on the cells themselves) and much better than my GP 2300s which seem nearer 1500 and my Uniross 2100s, nearer 1700. I have had the cells for only three weeks or so thus cannot judge their long-term capacity loss but in the short term they seem to be retaining much more of their charge than my non-LSD cells.

Another thing which is outstanding is their degree of consistency of capacity across different units, four of the Contour cells taken at random show capacities of 1938, 1936, 1938 and 1934 mAh as determined by a Powerex MH-C9000 'WizardOne' charger, this suggests very good control of the manufacturing process and gives me confidence in the quality of the cells - but only time will tell!

ADDENDUM - 5th July 2013

Since writing the above I have analysed 3 more packs of 4 cells and have found that they have the following capacities; pack 1 - 1882, 1916, 1898, 1907: pack 2 - 1904, 1902, 1900, 1900: pack 3 - 1870, 1895, 1891, 1887. This is a very small spread - 46 mAh or slightly less than 2.5% - as was that of the first set. Their apparently lower capacities are most likely due to their having been through only 1 charge/discharge cycle whereas the first set had been subjected to use and thus 3 or 4 cycles, I would also expect the spread to reduce as they are cycled further.

If their life is as claimed and they retain their capacities throughout that life then the claim that they are "The World's Best Rechargable Battery (Cell!)" might just have a modicum of justification to it; they do carry a three year guarantee so the manufacturer must have some confidence in it product AND they are made in Japan!

The Twelfth Tablet
The Twelfth Tablet
Price: 1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A free taster, but I didn't like the taste enough to try more., 20 May 2013
Disappointing; had I paid for it I would have felt robbed but as it was it was only my time that was wasted.

Raspberry Pi User Guide
Raspberry Pi User Guide
by Eben Upton

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 11 Dec 2012
This is something that should be provided with the device and not as a extra-cost option.

It is of little use to me and probably will not be referred to again after the initial "skim through"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 2:07 PM BST