Profile for Mrs. B. Graham > Reviews

Content by Mrs. B. Graham

Mrs. B. Graham "betty5898"

Page: 1 | 2
Trustee from the Toolroom (Vintage Classics)
Trustee from the Toolroom (Vintage Classics)
by Nevil Shute

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 14 Jan. 2011
I won,t outline the story, others have already done so, and well.
This is one of my personal favourites that I have read and reread so many times.As films were made of "No Highway in The Sky" , "A Town Like Alice" and "On the Beach", it surprises me that Trustee from the Toolroom was not spotted as perfect film material. It has everything, excitement, travel, south sea islands and sex.Even the technical passages about building miniature engines I find fascinating.
Buy this one and treasure it.

Northern Knits: Designs Inspired by the Knitting Traditions of Scandinavia Iceland and the Shetland Isles
by Lucinda Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 28 Nov. 2010
A lack of attractive projects and strange yarn thicknesses. Pretty front cover misleading as other patterns were not appealing. I would not recommend this book .

The Potter's House
The Potter's House
by Rosie Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Promising start, no follow up, 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Potter's House (Paperback)
As a previous reader said, the beginning of this book promised great things and having read"Every woman has a secret" by this author, I expected a good read. I found it confusing, without a story line and totally unlike Rose,s other books. Maybe she has gone into mysticism but it is not for me. I did however get a picture, presumably accurate, of life on a Greek island. Not the stuff of tourist leaflets.
There is a very practical side of my nature that questioned the speedy clearing up after the tsunami, particularly with a water shortage.
My reading life spans 62 years, but I did not find this book at all enjoyable, and am glad it was a relative,s Public Library copy, and that I had not paid for it!

A4 Personalised Childrens Reward Chart With 75 Free Gold Metallic Stars..Remember To Tell Us The Name You Would Like To Be Printed On The Reward Chart THANK YOU..
Offered by James Labels & Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Buy, 23 Aug. 2010
Although this had not actually encouraged my granddaughter to stay in her own bed yet, the product itself is excellent . Fast friendly delivery, highly recommended and nice own name option. Good communication with seller

Caribee Frantic Rucksack
Caribee Frantic Rucksack

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Caribee Frantic Rucksack (Misc.)
This was a gift for my son who was working nights, and needed to pack food and a flask. He assures me that it is perfect for that purpose and was totally satisfied with it

Knitting the Threads of Time: Casting Back to the Heart of Our Craft
Knitting the Threads of Time: Casting Back to the Heart of Our Craft
by Nora Murphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Words fail me!, 21 Aug. 2010
I am not known for ever being lost for words but that is how this book left me. The writer jumped on to the band wagon of today,s kitting resurgence and strung enough words together to make a book. That is all I can say, waste of money,waste of reading time, and, for me ,waste of knitting time.

No Problem
No Problem
by Eileen Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse akinda, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: No Problem (Paperback)
This is the new title for this book according to my 3 year old grand daughter. She has this for bedtime reading most nights and loves the made up words. She and my daughter have a giggle over the language used. Excellent reading aloud for this age group, highly recommended. The only criticism my daughter made was that it is a bit long winded, for her but not for the child obviously!

Special Knits: 22 Gorgeous Handknits for Babies
Special Knits: 22 Gorgeous Handknits for Babies
by Debbie Bliss

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Aug. 2010
I am very disappointed with this book. It is a book for beginners, I agree, but although I also do a lot of sewing, I would not want to start doing the amount required to finish these projects off. For me , it would have been better if the embellishments had been knitted not bought and sewn. There is one little top with a picot edging I am tempted to knit, but little else. I bought it simply because a, I thought the knitted Teddy bear was in it, it is not, and b, the jacket on the front looks so attractive. When you see the finished item though, it would be most impracticable without a proper fastening. I may do it and work my own button holes .
I did buy this from a market place seller for a reasonable price,otherwise it would definitely be going back

Trouble is a Man
Trouble is a Man
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars The other, but no lesser star, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Trouble is a Man (Audio CD)
Beautifully sung , some standards, some not so well known. One of the most listenable, relaxing CD,s I own. If you only know the slightly zany actress with the little-girl voice , give her a chance to woo you with her unique singing voice.
Also, if you get a chance to see her with a very young Jack Lemmon in "It Could Happen to You", listen to them singing "Let,s Fall In Love" together, while he plays the piano. There will never be a better version and one can only wish that someone had had the sense to record it so that we could have heard it all the way through. Unfortunately, they are both gone, Judy prematurely. We will never hear that quality again

Knit So Fine: Designs with Skinny Yarn
Knit So Fine: Designs with Skinny Yarn
by Lisa R. Myers

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 6 July 2008
Although the introduction at the beginning is interesting, the content of the book is not.One would think that skinny yarns would be just that,but no.The author even talks about DK, which we in the UK would consider thick.
The designs were,with one exception, not tempting and the models were so skinny that only they could wear the garments.I had hoped to see new patterns for 3 and 4 ply wool in attractive designs.
I buy many knitting books, but this one was returned.
My recommendation is that unless you are very thin and look good in a bin liner, do not buy this book
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2010 9:43 AM GMT