Profile for cmmercer > Reviews

I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
by Chris Mccormack
Price: 17.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled Ego Trip, but still a good read, 4 Oct 2011
This book proved to be something of a mission to get through which was strange, as, in itself it is a very readable story which Macca purveys with great emotion. But, it is confusing to say the least, jumps around a little and parts seem quite muddled.

On the other hand is the overwhelming ego-trip that provides the spine of this book. Not a page goes by without Macca proclaiming himself to be the worlds greatest, and reminding us over-and-over about how good he is. Every star athlete needs a strong ego, otherwise he wouldn't win. But we know how good he is, we are reading his book because we are aware of his successes - we don't need his supreme amazingness shoved down our throats with every turn of the page.

I was lent this book, because as a runner with very low self esteem it was thought I could take some tips from this amazing warhorse of an athlete. It was a strange book - full of insight into his life, but devoid of any tips or opinion as to how one might go any way towards achieving this state of mind. This is odd given the tagline to the book " A World Champion's ADVICE for Peak Performance "

All in all; a good story, poorly written, try not to get bogged down in the ego and enjoy reading about the successes of one of the greatest triatheletes of all time!