Profile for Mr. S. Swift > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Swift

Mr. S. Swift "Caligula77" (Great Britain)

Haunted Air
Haunted Air
by Ossian Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Haunted Air (Hardcover)
With a backdrop of Southern dirt farms, barren dry landscapes this collection of photographs are horrifying. The images look like the kind of nightmarish figures that you catch out of the corner of your eye. The sort of images that shouldn't be able to be caught on camera. Whilst looking at them for a time you feel that some figure in a blacked up face, conical hat and blank eyes could be staring through the window and vanish as you glance up. A genuinely disturbing book , a must.

Vintage Halloween Collectibles: An Identification & Price Guide (Vintage Halloween Collectibles: Identification & Price Guide)
by Mark B. Ledenbach

5.0 out of 5 stars All treat, no tricks, 28 Oct 2009
I love this book. I don't collect Halloween memorabilia, but I do love Halloween. It is a delight, with page after page packed with fantastic 1920's,30's Halloween imagery and supremely knowledgeable text, not at all the dull price guide you might expect. Great stuff.

We Love Yule
We Love Yule

5.0 out of 5 stars An Antidote to Christmas?, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: We Love Yule (Audio CD)
I would say that this Cd is an antidote to traditional Christmas songs, but it is suprisingly traditional in parts, even beautiful. It is fresh and offers a different perspective on Christmas songs. These are grown up songs and I can't recommend highly enough for those of us who love Christmas, but loathe the saccarine.

Comme Des Garcons 8 Eau de Parfum Spray 100ml
Comme Des Garcons 8 Eau de Parfum Spray 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxurious, 12 Sep 2009
This is stunning, it smells unlike anything else on the over burdened fragrance market. Winter/snow/glamour barely there at all sometimes. Just don't tell too many people, let them stick to their Armani!!

Nottingham in the 1980s (Archive Photographs: Images of England)
Nottingham in the 1980s (Archive Photographs: Images of England)
by Julian D Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Where am I?, 11 May 2008
Nottingham in the 80's was my playground. It was bright and technicolour and amazing. Spending every Friday/Saturday night at Rock City Futurist night, dancing in the lazers and dry ice. Taking most of the afternoon getting ready. During the week drinking downstairs at the Castle, trecking over to the Playhouse bar, going to Whispers, The Ad-lib club, Brownes wine bar. What amazes me about this book is how 'by gone' Nottingham looks. I am afflicted with nostalgia for those great times anyway, but this really sticks the knife in!! Good stuff.

Damned Damned Damned
Damned Damned Damned

5.0 out of 5 stars Play it at your sister, 8 May 2008
This review is from: Damned Damned Damned (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough (old enough!!) to see the Damned a few days after this album was released, I was actually still wearing my school uniform at the gig. This album, above all others, captures the energy, swagger, speed, fun and thrills of that early scene. We felt that we ruled the world and this is my anthem. I saw all of the 'big' groups, Clash, The Adverts, X-Ray Spex, Siuoxsie, Gen X, Eater etc and this, without doubt is the best record from that short, intense period. I am still a Damned disciple. Buy this and play it at your sister.

Seventh Tree
Seventh Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Go wild in the Country, 27 Feb 2008
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
At last Goldfrapp have gone back to the country. Not the frost splintered countryside of Felt Mountain, but sun dappled forests and lazy hedgerows. I'm glad that they've left the town scapes of Black Cherry and Supernature behind them. This is the sister albumn to Felt Mountain. Lush, beautiful and fresh. I love this album, almost as much as summer.

No More Heroes: A Complete History of UK Punk from 1976 to 1980
No More Heroes: A Complete History of UK Punk from 1976 to 1980
by Alex Ogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your anorak, 12 Aug 2007
Can I state clearly that I'm not featured in this book. But I was into what was called Punk and suffer from that peculiar melancholy that seems to afflict so many of us who were caught up in the scene from '76 to early '78. This is a great satisfying book, I well remember the 'big' groups of the time that I saw, The Adverts, Damned, X Ray Spex, Adam & the Ants, Siousxie, Clash etc, but had forgotten so many of the other groups that were around at the time, many that I'd seen by accident, or bought thier records simply because I liked the name or artwork on the sleeve. Alex has done a remarkable and heroic job of listing these less well known, but equally important 'lost' groups and telling their story, which really is what Punk was about. Burning twice as bright, but half as long. I loved the Damned, but never really expected them to be still limping their bloated bodies around so many years later! I had a huge chunk of my record collection stolen some years back, this has been a great help in jogging my middle aged memory and providing catalogue details for my missing vinyl. Thanks Alex

Vivienne Westwood Shoes
Vivienne Westwood Shoes
by Luca Beatrice

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the sole!, 2 Jan 2007
Does exactly what it says on the tin! Page after glorious page of lucious full colour photos of the Dames beautiful shoes. I love this book. It's not only for Westwood fans, but for students, historians, poets, punks and romantics.

Vivienne Westwood (VA)
Vivienne Westwood (VA)
by Claire Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea, Sun and Piracy, 19 Sep 2006
This review is from: Vivienne Westwood (VA) (Paperback)
This is a gorgeous,sumptuous book. It works precisely because it let's Vivienne's clothes speak for themselves. The full page glossy pictures of the most influential designer of the 20th Century almost make you salivate. I used to shop at World's End and wore the original Pirate range, but even then I'd still forgotten just how stunning it was. If you are interested in fashion, music, history, art, literature, anarchy and chaos, then this is for you.