Profile for Steve Smith > Reviews

Content by Steve Smith

Steve Smith "steved585" (Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hand. Cannot. Erase [VINYL]
Hand. Cannot. Erase [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, no doubt., 17 April 2015
His third masterpiece in a row. Possibly the best album so far of his career, how does he do it? The most creative musician of our times delivers another stunning artwork of music interwoven with a thought provoking story & lyrics.

Philomena [DVD]
Philomena [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Philomena [DVD] (DVD)
From the opening moments of this film I was drawn in by this compelling drama. Superb acting and true a story told with compassion and humour, I can only give the highest praise to Steve Coogan, Judi Dench and all makers of this wonderful film. If you want constant CGI action battles go somewhere else. If you want a drama that will linger in the mind long after watching I highly recommend this.

Heaven & Earth
Heaven & Earth

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 5 stars, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Heaven & Earth (Audio CD)
I'll cut to the chase, don't let all the negative reviews put you off this album without hearing it first. Although there are 3 tracks here that are truly abysmal, the rest are superb and make this album still very much worth buying. To my ears this is a very similar album to The Ladder (which also had a few duff tracks) and there's lots to enjoy that grows with every listen. Jon Davison's vocals, lyrics and song writing are first class. If only they'd left off those middle of the road pop tracks I could give this album 5 stars.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe their best?, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I have been casually following DT since their very first album in 1989 which I bought after reading a review comparing the band favourably with Rush. Since then I have liked some of their music but not all. Having had the opportunity to hear the album in full a few times before buying, I knew this was one of their best. The only DT album where I like every song! There are many truly wonderful moments on this album and most importantly great songs with superb melodies.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 6:26 PM GMT

Prophecy
Prophecy
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Solstice on top form, 31 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Prophecy (Audio CD)
Solstice are a wonderful band that I first saw supporting Marillion back in 1982. I remember thinking it was like Marillion were the new Genesis and Solstice were the new Yes! Many memorable live shows followed at the old Marquee in London....Fast forward to 2013 and the band have produced one of their best albums. Prophecy is right up there with my faves of the year plus a few tracks from their Silent Dance debut are included as remixed by Steven Wilson no less. For fans of prog with a folk edge, this album is a must.

Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars All special effects, very little story, 13 Oct. 2013
I just felt I had to add my opinion of the special effects fest that is Star Trek Into Darkness. Starting with the ludicrous opening sequence that features the Enterprise not only going in to the atmosphere of a planet but going underwater too (really ???!!) you know what kind of a film this is going to be. Yep, the usual action packed dumbed down so called sci fi movie for drunk teenagers.

Universal [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A & B]
Universal [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region A & B]
Dvd ~ Anathema

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Outsanding, 8 Oct. 2013
Maybe like me you have lots and lots of live music DVD's in your collection, you play them once and that's it usually. Well not this one. Universal is one of those rare jewels that captures a wonderful moment so perfectly, its like being there. Although some have complained about the lack of a surround mix I view the glass as being more half full (or overflowing even!)because the stereo mix here is superb, perfectly balanced to enhance a faultless performance in a magical setting.

Highlights? Its all one big highlight really, maybe Dreaming Light which sends shivers down my spine and Untouchable part 2 where Lee's vocals combined with Danny's lyrics will bring a tear to the eye of anyone who has lost a loved one. Good to hear both versions of Fragile Dreams too.

Thanks Anathema, this is one of my best live videos ever!

Oblivion [DVD] [2013]
Oblivion [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sci fi movie in years, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Oblivion [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I hadn't expected much from this film mainly due to a couple of negative reviews I'd seen so was pleasantly surprised when I put this DVD on. Wow! An engrossing film for grown ups that is not only exciting but has a superb cast, clever effects and an actual story with a twisting plot that will keep you guessing until the end. Better than Avatar and Prometheus by a long way, don't miss this film.

Ten Billion
Ten Billion
by Stephen Emmott

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wake Up Call for Mankind, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Ten Billion (Paperback)
This book should be in every school & university, every workplace, every bus & train - it's an easy book to read that doesn't get bogged down in too much science, just plain shocking facts and statistics. Some of the criticisms of it on here are a typical reaction to the 'inconvenient truth' that many people just cant accept or don't want to. Wake up everyone and ask your politicians what they are doing about it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 10:44 AM BST

Samsung SMT-S7800 500GB Freesat HD TV Recorder
Samsung SMT-S7800 500GB Freesat HD TV Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 13 Feb. 2013
I know someone who tried two of these and took them both back. Silly me, thinking he was just unlucky I went ahead and got one - well it is voted best Freesat+ box two years running by What Hi Fi magazine after all...

Quite easy to use, had trouble tuning it at first but once that sorted was ok for while, then the problems started.

1. It Freezes/locks up - will not respond to the remote control. Only solution is to (yes, you've guessed it!) turn it off and on again. Of course if it does this while recording you have lost your programme.

2. Recording settings disappear and reappear: Programmes that you have set to record just disppear of their own accord and sometimes reappear - you never can be 100% sure if it is going to record a programme or not.

3. EPG unreliable: Scroll forward a day or two or even later the same day and it sometimes cant find any tv programmes - even some channels disappear altogther.

In short this unit is unreliable and therefore not fit for purpose. That's what I've told a the big electrical chain store that I bought it from (lets just say they like Indian food). They however after me having had it less than two months refuse to refund my money and insist on sending off for 'repair' - I dont hold out much hope.
The 'repair' will probably involve someone conecting it to a computer and running a few tests and then declaring there's nothing wrong with it...

If you do buy one of these then make sure you can get a refund when it goes wrong but my advice is still well clear.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3