Profile for Nell > Reviews

Content by Nell

Nell (South East England)

T'on Ma
T'on Ma

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: T'on Ma (Kindle Edition)
This was a fun read. While there was drama it remained easy-going. No endless descriptions of dresses or hair, or heaving breasts, or muscular thighs etc. The lovebirds could speak to each other without blushing, or wanting sex - which is something a lot of books in this genre are about. You actually wanted the two main characters together.

Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny McBride
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly funny! Slow-growing cult film!, 26 Mar 2012
Just watched this film on t.v, and am about to buy it here. I really loved this film, it was very funny. All of my friends love it too, admittedly most are in their twenties... but then my parents, aunts, uncles - they love it too. It's a bit rude in some places, but only a bit, you can still watch it with your nan and have a laugh (not recomended for watching with young children, foul language abounds)... I loved this mixture of occasional shakespearean-like speech mixed in with modern language usage and swear words. Overall I found the script/banter rather witty (perhaps a little crude, but that's funny too).

I also found the acting to be good from the main actors, and I had a soft spot for Courtney. It cheered up my whole family, and my mum now has a homemade sign down by her herb patch "cultivating glorius herbs here", since that line tickled her so much...

For those that do not like this, perhaps you have to be in the right sort of mood? It's not quite similar to Pineapple Express, which I loved (and my mum hated)... it's a little (just a little) like the old Carry On films, just ruder, it also reminds me of... A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. With a little singing, random highjinks etc. It's a fun film.

It's an adult mix-up of every slightly crappy, but oh-so-awesome fantasy film from the eighties and by the gods it is fantastic! ...and I am surprised a lot of people online hate it, as everyone I know loves it. Not to toot my own horn but I am a bit of an ace at detecting cult films before they become cult films. This will be a cult film.

I cannot recommend this enough.

Jules Verne: Seven Novels (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by Jules Verne

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Beautiful!, 10 Jan 2012
My mum and dad gave me this for christmas, I was so happy! I had wanted to get the works of Jules Verne, but I was not expecting this... It is a visually stunning book, a very nice weight to it! I will treasure it always. I cannot recomment this enough, I will buy more for myself! I have a kindle, so when I get books I want them to be special - like this!

Unicorn Bait
Unicorn Bait

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny!, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Unicorn Bait (Kindle Edition)
This book (especially the first half) had me laughing out loud, and I read it in an afternoon. It's very tongue in cheek and doesn't take itself seriously. I loved the heroine and the way she thought, how she put herself first - because how many fall in love and forget what they were doing in the first place?? I loved the magic and how it was used. I loved how even the most dire of circumstances turned out not to be so dire at all. Really funny, kinda sweet too ;) Second book I read on Kindle and since the first I read was a disturbing horror... well, I would recommend it to anyone who needed a laugh/cheer up!

Schwarzkopf LIVE Color XXL 00A Absolute Platinum
Schwarzkopf LIVE Color XXL 00A Absolute Platinum
Offered by MY HAIR CITY

5.0 out of 5 stars White Hair, 19 Dec 2011
I'm naturally an ash-blonde, but being a little... 'alternative' since my teen years I wanted white hair. I have been using this since I was fifteen. I was around eighteen when I actually read the packet and it says it's for brown hair.
Whatever, it worked well for me! No problems at all. My hair is back bra strap length an in good condition, very soft and silky - BUT I have quite greasy hair. I don't know if that makes a difference?
Yeah anyway, a great prelude to white toner, barely need it really. Also great for other colours... blue and pink have been especially bright and offensive ;) Hope I've been a help to someone.

Deadtown
Deadtown
by Nancy Holzner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Turn back now, and delete browsing history... for this is Tasteless as HELL!, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: Deadtown (Mass Market Paperback)
Please excuse my spelling. I am distraught. I have lost good money I could have spent on a good book, as this was a bad book! BAD! I don't mean bad as in 'naughty' either! I mean just plain awful!

I wish I hadn't bought this book. From the first page I knew I was in trouble, but I pressed on for as long as I could and it was unbearably bad. Annoying characters, - really, really annoying characters... with annoying personalities and quirks, trying to be 'badass' in ridiculous clothes.

Annoying!

I don't mind Laurel K Hamilton (the first handful are the best) LOVE PATRICIA BRIGGS, Charlaine Harris,LOVE ILONA ANDREWS and while even these writers make annoying cliches in their books, their imagination, their originality, their ability to raise their female characters to a higher level of intelligence, and logic... their class just outweighs it. And this book... this book is terrible.

I do a lot of reading, I own just under a thousand books of all kinds, and I have read many, many more. Right now I'm stuck on fantasy and I have made a few mistakes when picking through the billions of books out there. This is up there with the worst (Twilight, everyone was raving. Raving MAD I say!!!)

I should have realised and gotten another book. What I have done (wasted money) cannot be undone. I am dumping this book on my twilight loving friend as soon as possible. I'm sure she'd love this ( this is a terrible insult, by the by).

A new take on zombies.... it's dreadful. Dreadfully absurd! And I've read it, seen it and heard it all before! It isn't new at all! it's just lame, and hard(impossible, as this author proved) to do well, that's why it's hardly ever done!

Please, if you have any taste... steer clear, steer well clear!

P.S. I'm sure this author is a very good writer, and I don't mean a scathing attack on her. I just mean a bitchy attack on this ... this... STUPID BOOK!!! GRARRRRRRGGGHHHHRAHHHHMYBLOODYMONEYWASWAAAAAAASTEDGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

The Candle House
The Candle House
by Pauline Fisk

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Candle House (Paperback)
I loved this book as a kid. I read it in middle school and have spent the last ten years looking for it. Years of trawling google, and forums, and yahoo answers. I am so glad I have found this book. What can I say? It sticks in your mind.

(I hope it lives up to my expectations...)

Update: It totally did! Very unique story, fun read, stays with you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 11:58 AM BST

Shadowmancer
Shadowmancer
by G.P. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Feb 2009
This review is from: Shadowmancer (Paperback)
Defiantely one of my favourite books while growing up. It is interesting, a little scary and inspiring.
A book for both boys and girls of all ages!

Lush T-Shirts I Am Not A Geek Im A Level 9 Warlord Mens T-Shirt - Black, Size S
Lush T-Shirts I Am Not A Geek Im A Level 9 Warlord Mens T-Shirt - Black, Size S
Offered by Lush T Shirts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, 13 Dec 2008
Bought this for my little cousin! He is thirteen and a total computer and video-game freak :D

He loved it :D

Simon The Sorcerer 4 (PC)
Simon The Sorcerer 4 (PC)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad News...., 13 Dec 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
First off ...Simon is not voiced by Chris Barrie anymore.

I didn't know this 'til I started the game. I still would have bought it if I'd already known this of course, but I would have been prepared for the disappointment... once again we have been let down... the guy who voiced simon in the last three games - isn't voicing him now.

The story seems to be written by someone who is not familiar with Simon... he actually goes to the magic kingdom of his own choice, he actually wants to help people and he is American. Unfortunately he is an American complete with a whiney American accent.

They then try so hard to be sarcastic that it just doesn't work.

It could've worked... if Simon wasn't previously voiced by a deep-ish, sarcasm-filled British voice for the last three games...

I haven't completed the game yet, I haven't even gotten very far, but so far I am disillusioned and I don't know if I can bring myself to bother finishing. (it isn't just the voice thing, they have completly switched Simons personality around - he even has an evil twin. How is this possible? Simon IS evil!)

...At least the graphics are better than Simon the Sorcerer 3D. But Graphics are nothing without a good story, or the character of Simon...

They might of well have just re-named him, given him some different clothes and sent him off into that world and it would be a completely different character with no characteristics in relation to Simon and in only a slightly familiar world.

...Major let down to the true fan, but it is very playable (possibly enjoyable, I can't be sure?) to someone who was not looking forward to it, or not familiar with the world.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2009 9:21 PM GMT