Profile for Mr. M. G. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. G. Jones

Mr. M. G. Jones "taffysaint" (Surrey, UK)

Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 Noise Cancelling Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats Bose hands down, 22 Jan 2013
Honestly, when it comes to comfort, build quality and noise cancellation - there isn't that much between the Bose QC15 headphones (Colleague who sits next to me has them) in terms of effectiveness.

Where these cans set themselves apart is in flexibility and sounds quality.

Firstly, you have 3 cancellation modes which is a nice touch, I won't go through them as its in the product description, suffice to say they are pretty good and do what they say on the tin. (As with all NC cans, they 95% stat is nonsense of course!)

Secondly, there is a passive mode - ie they still work as headphones when not turned on/battery dead. Also, when off there is still the noise cancellation generated by the build of the headphones.
***Bose Headsets WILL NOT PLAY AUDIO UNLESS TURNED ON***

Thirdly, the sound quality - This is really where these headphones win:

I have a pair of Bose QC3 headphones - noise cancellation is laughable and the sound quality is muddy at best and has a huge amount of sound leakage.
Bose QC15 headphones have a better sound quality but still not what you would want from 300 notes!

Audio Technica - Compared to the comparable Bose, its like night and day. You're never going to get stellar sound from active noise cancellation headphones but this is the best I've heard - if you're looking at Bose QC15 - don't believe the hype and get a hold of these!

Very quick review I know, but thought a brief comparison with the Bose headsets might prove useful (Don't even consider QC3)

Gore Universal So Headband - Black, One Size
Gore Universal So Headband - Black, One Size

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine with one niggle, 18 Nov 2012
OK, so not much to say about this - its a windstopper thingy for your head. It's by Gore so the material is their windstopper stuff which is breathable and stops the wind - see what they did with the name there?

The ear cover bits are well positioned and for my head, it's great. So, why only 4 stars? Well, its a little pricey for what it is I suppose but my only real issue was that they put a hulking great label right on the left ear cover. You pretty much have to cut it out because you can't wear it with it in there. WOuld have made more sense to print it directly onto the material, like everything else!

The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
by Dave Myers

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ground breaking, just great food, 15 Sep 2012
I watched the show and made a fair few of the freely available recipes - this coincided with a decision I had already made to shed a few pounds. By not just following the recipes but applying the cooking advice to my own recipes I've been able to eat well, not go hungry but still keep my daily calorie count around the 1500-1600 mark as a maximum, usually its closer to 1400.

I'm not as religious with it as the HBs so my weight loss is a gradual affair but I don't feel like I am on a diet and have still managed 14lbs in about 6 weeks (I also cycle regularly), I am just not over eating and making sure the things I do eat are cannily made. And the most important thing is that the food is delicious and filling.

All of these recipes are easily doable,all very straight forward with easily obtained ingrediants - nothing seems particularly daunting - this is food, not fine dining which is EXACTLY what you need for every day cooking.

I have given 4 stars rather than 5 because whilst most recipes are sort of 'stand alone', often there can be instances of (x calories - not including rice). This is fine but it should have an additional note which says how many extra calories the accompaniment would be. Its a minor niggle I know and doesn't affect me much but for people new to cooking/calorie counting you need to make life as easy as possible.

I've seen a very few negative reviews for this book, most don't relate to the actual product, the remainder frothing about how calorie counting does/doesn't work.

This is pretty good news, when you find a product where the negative reviews have no substance you can be pretty confident in the purchase.

Darth Vader Dressing Gown
Darth Vader Dressing Gown
Offered by Sportspar

5.0 out of 5 stars You have failed me for the last time short towelling robe..., 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Darth Vader Dressing Gown (Misc.)
I received this as a gift from one of my more sycophantic Storm Troopers earlier this year. Having endured a normal towelling robe that ends mid-calf, I have to confess it failed to induce terror in the troops, especially if they needed to inform me of their incompetence later in the evening after my bath and cocoa.

This robe drops satisfyingly to the ankle and has the deep hood and sleeves that enhances my imposing stature and adds an air of menace. It's also incredibly comfortable, allowing a freedom of movement that allowed me to dramatically use the dark side of the force to crush the larynx of the impudent gift-giver.

There are also voluminous pockets. I use them for sweets, hidden detonators and some interesting pebbles I picked up on Tattoine but you might want to use them for storing the fingers of your defeated foes - the choice is yours.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 10:43 PM GMT

Marshall Major Headphones
Marshall Major Headphones
Offered by Surfdome

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly great value..., 30 Jun 2011
OK, so 4 stars? I am being a little stingy because I have only just received them today and you are paying a little for the label here.

That said, when I looked at professional product reviews for these headphones they all seemed to suggest that they were uncomfortable for extended wear, something to do with the band being too tight. I can only assume that these people have large, bulbous, over sensitive heads as I've been wearing them for several hours now and whilst you get the expected sweaty ear syndrome from headphones of this type, there is none of the painful discomfort that these people suggest.

So the most important thing - the sound. I'm no audiophile but I do have a little knowledge. The best I can describe the sound as is 'Warm'. For the price you get a great treble detail and well balanced bass, an overall great sound for the money - I've heard better (but not by much) but I've heard significantly worse too. I've listened to a bunch of Indie, classical, metal, rock and folk in the last few hours and all of them sound just great through these phones. These 'phones aren't just for show.

I can't speak to build quality yet, I've only had them a day but they seem pretty rugged. The cable in particular feels hardy, which is usually the downfall of all my headphones. I can say the build seems, like all marshall equipment, exceptionally well put together but really its something I'll have to come back in a few months on that one.

Here's the thing. You might get a marginally better sound for the same money elsewhere. But you won't get anything that looks this good with this kind of sound quality for this price.

Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Les Miserables - The 25th Anniversary in Concert at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alfie Boe
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show, few shaky casting choices, 3 Jan 2011
This is really a great DVD and a great performance by most. Just beware, there are a couple of choices that were there to sell tickets. Matt Lucas as Thenadier was a good choice, he really pulls it off though.

Nick Jonas on the other hand is absolutely appalling, his voice is weak and thin and completely unsuited to this kind of singing. It's a real shame, even if they were married to the choice of picking some teenage heart throb for Marius, I'm sure there were dozens of other choices beyond this one.

there are a couple of others I was unsure about but nothing that jars quite as much as Jonas. Luckily, they didn't do it to any characters I actually like. if you doubt this element of my review, just watch any song where Ramin Karimloo and Nick Jonas sing together. Then watch the 10th anniversary edition with Michael Ball as Marius.

Alfie Boe is magnificent, as are Ramin Karimloo and Norm Lewis. In fact the more I think about it, I think that Nick Jonas is the only real weak link!

But that's OK, it's still amazing so go and buy it - get the 10th anniversary one too then keep you fingers crossed in the hope that someone films the proper stage show for us!

Klipsch Image S4 Enhanced Bass Dynamic In-Ear Headphones - White
Klipsch Image S4 Enhanced Bass Dynamic In-Ear Headphones - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound, great comfort, appalling build quality, 11 Aug 2010
I bought these last year in black when looking for good quality portable headphones for my MP3 players. Initially I was massively impressed with the sound quality at this price range and the comfort was the best I've had with in ear headphones. Sadly this quality doesn't extend to the cable.

The first pair, one of the ears stopped working after a couple of months. The second pair the cable came free from the jack when my mp3 player fell out of my pocket.

I won't pretend to be the most delicate of handlers but the very nature of in-ear headphones means you'll be wrapping them up regularly and they should be able to withstand the kind of punishment a 10 quid pair can stand.

Huge shame, because without this flaw they would be a perfect product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 12:12 AM GMT

Garmin Nuvi 255T 3.5" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps and Free Lifetime Traffic
Garmin Nuvi 255T 3.5" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps and Free Lifetime Traffic

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but don't bother with the Traffic version, 25 Mar 2009
I used to have TomTom on my phone and I've used a comparable TomTom device that my boss has. I'm also a proper geek and spent a lot of time researching online the best option to go for. 5 pre-purchase points:

1) Garmin use the better map-tech. Everything I've read leaves me to belive that Navteq are the better provider

2) Look at any other GPS device (non-automotive) and Garmin is pretty much the last word in accuracy and reliability.

3) TomTom customer service - Every time I looked for reviews of TomTom products I was greeted with tales of truly APPALLING customer service - regardless of the product, if the aftersales sucks I am not risking my cash.

4) Map updates - If new maps become available for your new TomTom, you get a free upgrade if its within 30 days of purchase. With Garmin you get 60 days.

5) If you're a Mac user, don't use the TomTom software (such as it is for the Mac), it will brick your device (according to all the reviews I've read) and then you'll have to deal with point number 3)

So, I finally settled on this 255T. Incredibly easy to use, lots of add-ons and useful free softtware from Garmin's website. There was a map update available right away so I installed the software and then clicked the go button, and it was all done for me (took a little while to complete).

I've only used it a couple days, it has the same problems as every satnav I have ever used in that it seems to want to take me the scenic route to the M25 and is confused by the road system in the town I live in. However, that was the only trouble I had with it, it guided me to a destination I had never driven to before up in Milton Keynes faultlessly. So the navigation part, the accuracy, the ease of use and the available extras - fantastic. (All UK Tesco Stores and Football stadiums available to download as Points of Interest!)

Downsides:

1) Once I joined the M1 it was convinced that there were variable 50MPH speed cameras - after the first 5 miles beeping I turned the camera alerts off - its' possibel I just need to update that part of the software so no biggy, especially as rather than keeping an eye out for speed cameras I just don't break the speed limit as a rule.

2) Traffic alerting - save yourself 15 notes, this doesn't work. Full stop.

So fairly lengthy review, first time I have bothered but for people considering the alternative, I wanted to put down my experience/findings etc. Go with Garmin, the important bits work brilliantly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2010 5:15 PM BST

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 29 Mar 2005
I read Angels and Deamons several years ago and had good memories of it so gave this one a go. It is a real page turner, hence the 3 rather than 2 stars. As I progressed through the book, familiar feelings began to return to me as I remembered reading Angels and Demons. I think the main problem people, certainly myself, have with this book is Browns hamfisted attempts at passing his 'research' off as fact. The problem is there are a large number of people who seem to accept these 'facts' as they are presented.
Finally, the characters. I am not going to babble about depth and background etc. as we can all see that these are missing. Those of you who disagree, just ask yourself this question. 'Would I really care one way or the other if the principles had died at the end?'. The author should make you care about his characters, Brown fails in this absolutely.