Profile for Tony W. > Reviews

Content by Tony W.

Tony W.

California Almonds 1kg
California Almonds 1kg
Offered by Jalpur Millers Online (JMO Online Ltd)

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on course, 15 April 2015
I was glad to find that this delivery was up to the expected standard - the previous order fell a little short as the almonds were hard.

500 Gluten-Free Dishes: The Only Compendium of Gluten-Free Dishes You'll Ever Need
by Carol Beckerman

1.0 out of 5 stars Did the author proof read?, 17 Aug. 2014
I've given one star although it ought to be at least minus one!
To date I've had major problems with the only two recipies that I've tried in the baking section - to put it simply neither work.
Firstly the Soda Bread where the quantity of buttermilk shown falls at least a third short of the amount required to produce a dough that can be handled. Whilst I managed to salvage something it was not without a cost to my temper.
My next attempt was short crust pastry and here I ended up with a "thick batter" and not a workable pastry dough. I tried to salvage things by adding a lot more flour and managed a workable mix that finally disappointed by being so "short" that it seemed like moulded dry flour.
Comparing Ms Beckermans ingredients with others seems to indicate that a minimum of 360ml of buttermilk was necessary in the soda bread (not 240ml as shown) and that using sunflower oil in the pastry would never work as it will effectively coat the flour and prevent water absorption. I'm also convinced that the teaspoon of gum is probably necessary.
My challenge to the author is to come and show me that both work!

Franklin DMQ1500 Electronic Collins Concise Dictionary and Thesaurus
Franklin DMQ1500 Electronic Collins Concise Dictionary and Thesaurus

1.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries, 5 Jan. 2014
In my short period of ownership I have had to replace the batteries three times. In addition it is all too easy to jam the keys and on top of that it's performance seems vastly inferior to the Sekio it replaced. It in turn is being replaced - by a Sekio ER-8000.

Toshiba LED Light Bulb E Core GLS 5.5Watt Energy Saving Light Bulb BC Frosted Warm White
Offered by Strictly Lamps

2.0 out of 5 stars Its the small print again, 5 Jan. 2014
I intended to put this bulb in a time switch controlled lamp. Nothing in the product description warned me that it could not be used in such a way and I was surprised when reading the (very) small print on the package that this was not possible.

Modern Chrome & White 3 Way Round Plate Ceiling Spotlight
Modern Chrome & White 3 Way Round Plate Ceiling Spotlight
Offered by The Light Factory

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm only half way there!, 5 Jan. 2014
I really have no problem with this light fitting but I'm still trying to get to the bottom of a problem I am having with the LED bulbs I want to use in it and a second fitting. I acknowledge that I sourced my GU10's elsewhere but the first three blew one after another and the second set blew all together.
The light fitting probably deserves a higher score but it will only get it I can use the LED bulbs.

Enjoydeal Slim mini 6W G9 64 SMD 3014 LED Lamps light 360°Super Light Energy Saving 220V Warm White
Offered by LED Light Store

5.0 out of 5 stars An LED that did what was claimed!, 5 Jan. 2014
This bulb was purchased to replace a Halogen 25W G9 in a lamp controlled by a time switch. The Halogen bulbs seemed to burn out very quickly and whilst it is too early to judge whether this will live for 50,000 hours it has so far met expectations. Firstly it works and secondly it works with a time switch.
I make this point because the Toshiba I purchased informed me, in very small print on the package, that it should not be used with a time switch and a number of GU10's have all blown.