Profile for lily mandolin > Reviews

Content by lily mandolin

lily mandolin (Middle England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
by Adele Nozedar

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book, 9 May 2016
This is probably not the sort of book you sit and read straight through but more of a 'dipper into'. But either way, it will prove both interesting and informative. My paperback version is large (8"x11") and runs to 400+pages so is a bit hefty for bedtime reading but is worth the effort: the text is both clear and concise with neat accompanying illustrations. I am delighted with this lovely book - a birthday present - and truly enjoy my bouts of 'dipping'. Fully deserving five stars.

BBC News
BBC News

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 May 2016
This review is from: BBC News (App)
nice to be able to watch at leisure

100Pcs Small Triangle D-Ring Picture Frame Hangers Single Hole with Screws
100Pcs Small Triangle D-Ring Picture Frame Hangers Single Hole with Screws
Offered by Universal Color

just right for the job

BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 May 2016
This review is from: BBC iPlayer (App)
works every time

Classic White Faux Pearl Clip-on Earrings In Gold Plating - 15mm Diameter
Classic White Faux Pearl Clip-on Earrings In Gold Plating - 15mm Diameter
Offered by Avalaya Jewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars A wee bit disappointed as they get tight far too soon to wear ..., 28 April 2016
A wee bit disappointed as they get tight far too soon to wear them for long. But I shall persevere as the are lovely-looking earrings and I was so pleased with them initially. A shame, but all is not lost as I shall just have to wear them little but often!

I was delighted with the fast delivery service (okay, it was paid for, but it worked!) as my husband wanted them as a surprise extra for my birthday so thank you for that.

Novawo Soft Wool Fashion Loop Scarf Hood,Thermal Neck Warmer
Novawo Soft Wool Fashion Loop Scarf Hood,Thermal Neck Warmer
Offered by Novawo-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 April 2016
great

Flat back pearl style clip-on earrings (Size: 15 x 15 mm)
Flat back pearl style clip-on earrings (Size: 15 x 15 mm)
Offered by Idin Jewellery

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect., 14 April 2016
just what I wanted,perfect.

The Silent Mentor
The Silent Mentor
by Sylvia Mayall

5.0 out of 5 stars other than crediting her much-loved late mother with her unconditional love and encouragement, 14 April 2016
This review is from: The Silent Mentor (Paperback)
Back in 2011 when this book was published I met the author at a book signing and spent some time talking with her: she felt we connected. She was a very pleasant person but a real dichotomy: free with much personal information (possibly due to our percieved connection) yet uncompromisingly unforthcoming about why she wrote, other than crediting her much-loved late mother with her unconditional love and encouragement. A highly qualified nurse "born with wanderlust in my blood [to nurse] black babies and return them, healthy, to their mothers", she forsook her travels to nurse her mother until her death. Having always written creatively she undertook formal writing studies in 200O, from which arose this book. At the time of our meeting she was splitting her time between wild camping in trusted areas during most of the year, returning to a Welsh bolt hole only when the weather became just that bit too difficult to live with.

So, a grieving loner, but also a lovely lady who appreciated company when she believed it was meant to happen. So, could there be a clue to tne real Sylvia Mayall in her book's title? Is her mother still encouraging her from beyond? SM wasn't saying and I cannot say with any honesty that the answer is there for the reading. It's a real mystery! At least to me, and I am not a stupid reader. But this a most enigmatic book - much like its author. From what flight of imagination this unusual tale of an unnamed protagonist seeking answers from close-mouthed villagers and old paperwork stems is for the reader to (try to) find out and the author to know! It would probably reveal more during a second reading, something I have never done only because I suffer from 'So many books so little time' syndrome and rarely revisit 'once-reads' for fear of missing out on other good reads.

Intrigued? You should be! See if the following comments whet the appetite yet more... (No plot spoilers: I couldn't if I wanted to, something subsequent readers will understand!)

For instance, how does the protagonist live? Where does her money come from? Why are the locals so protective of 'the lady'? How did this lady know the protagonist? And, most intriguing of all to me at the time, was how could our heroine resist not reading or at least rifling through the papers on her first night at the bothy?

Ah, the bothy, "a small stone building." A gem of a place thanks to SM's beautiful descriptive prose: "Two grey milky eyes, set under a rusty corrugated iron brow, home to a small central chimney." (Take a bow whoever painted the front cover.) The writing is equally evocative throughout albeit a tad old fashioned. But that is no problem as it is well in keeping with the genre - of which, more later. There is repetition but is possibly deliberate, and the occasional anomaly crops up which raised thoughts of self publishing; an editor should surely have spotted them. But, again, not a real problem.

Now, genre/category? Is this a novel, a mystery, say? 'Just' fiction or more elevated than that? Even an extraordinary memoir? Non fiction (as in psychological but told as story for ease of understanding)? As said earlier, that's for the reader to discover/decide. And it's not something Sylvia Mayall was prepared to reveal. So let's file it under Literary (Different), shall we?

NOTE: As the sole reviewer so far, I've taken the liberty of giving as much info/background to this intriging book and its author as possible. For anyone who appreciates a quirky read, this book is for them. Others should take a punt and possibly be pleasantly surprised.

My comments have been taken from the notes I made after meeting the author in 2011 and after reading her book. No review was written at the time as I was not an 'Amazonian' then. You have just read the result of a serendipitous glance through an old notebook. I would encourage reading The Silent Mentor if only in homage to a very nice lady and maybe to enter a unique mindset. I believe it deserves five stars, if only because it is so different. Enjoy!

The Trader's Wife
The Trader's Wife
by Thomas Weldon

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read for an old tale, 4 April 2016
This review is from: The Trader's Wife (Paperback)
What a cracking story! It may have been written way back in the dark ages of 1997 but apart from the occasional lack of techno gizmos we take for granted today, the thrills and mysteries are timeless, and the premise of a young pregnant wife left to defend herself when her husband disappears along with an inordinate amount of company funds stands up well all this time hence. People want their money back, naturally enough, and the Feds (excuse the Americanism) want answers. With no answers, no one on her side except her frail widowed father and no one prepared to believe she's not her husband's accomplice, there seems little she can do. But Sara Klein has one outstanding attribute: she's totally honest. And she's stubborn. Make that two outstanding attributes! Now we have a heroine, fighting for her life, her father's life and that of her unborn child. And her husband, wherever he is. Game on!

But this isn't a racy-pacy tale of derring-do. And neither is it a plodder. It is steady, and the fact that the timescale is fairly short means that the lack of racy-pacy isn't a problem. Expect a few twists and just read along for the ride. It can't fail to be a good story when it's written by Campbell Armstrong whose mysteries I seem to remember from years ago when he was a very popular writer. But why he wrote TTW as Thomas Weldon instead of Campbell Armstrong is one mystery that is never explained!

The Salt Road
The Salt Road
by Jane Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Despite truly enjoying this book I was halfway through it ..., 22 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Salt Road (Paperback)
Despite truly enjoying this book I was halfway through it before I became involved enough to care about the characters as my eyes glazed over time and again as I reached yet another overly long history lesson. Then, halfway through it all caught fire for me and as my history lessons gelled, I found myself horrified and angry, angry, angry at the dreadful acts perpetrated against a minority race in the name of greed, prejudice and fear. This is the background to the story of two women, one a local, the other an outsider and how ancient and modern worlds can work together and past injustices be put aside. Jane Johnson has written a cracking tale and for this reader at least, has opened her eyes to previously unrealised historical events - so those long-winded educational bits paid off after all!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6