Profile for Avid Reader > Reviews

Content by Avid Reader

Avid Reader "meta" (ontario, canada)

Blue Smoke
Blue Smoke
by Nora Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Very violent, but quite good, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Blue Smoke (Paperback)
Generally I steer clear of violent mayhem, but made an exception reading this book as I normally like Nora Roberts. Honestly, not her best and hardly a pleasant book. Reene seemed somewhat naïve for a police arson investigator, but I suppose many of them are in reality. I noticed a few too many loose ends, but generally this is readable and perhaps in a way an interesting story. I’ve also recently read “Fusion” by Bruce Huntly (a thoroughly enjoyable discovery) and must say Huntly’s main female characters are much more accomplished and real, showing how women can be really effective in an entertaining story without all the mayhem and violence accompaniment. Also recommended: Bruce Huntly, Fusion; James Patterson: Mary Mary; Dean Koontz: Forever Odd.

Forever Odd
Forever Odd
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper - great read!, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Forever Odd (Hardcover)
First, anyone who mentions his dog in such glowing terms in his acknowledgment before the story even starts is top dog in my book - but to Koontz's new book. The great character of Odd Thomas continues, unusual talents which are unique and well described, as well as nicely used by Odd himself. A wonderful story - frightening, humourous, serious, dark, bright, all things! Now I’ve read two completely different top-notch novels recently and enjoyed this one almost as much as I enjoyed Bruce Huntly’s “Fusion” which was a recent new and exciting find, more real, topical and entertaining. Also recommended: Fusion by Bruce Huntly, Mary Mary by James Patterson, State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

Mary, Mary
Mary, Mary
by James Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, very enjoyable, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Mary, Mary (Hardcover)
This is Patterson's latest and is maybe the best Alex Cross story yet. I was absorbed to the last page and the intriguing way the mystery is solved. Cross’s love interest does a lot to further develop his character, which I found refreshing. Mary Mary is well written with short (which could be disruptive to some readers), but focused chapters, and a must read. Also recommended: Bruce Huntly, Fusion (a new and highly recommended find showcasing sound science relevant to current technological and energy concerns); Dean Koontz: Forever Odd; Michael Crichton: State of Fear.

Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)
by Ann Brashares

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely charming, the best., 7 Feb 2006
An inspiring book especially the bonding of Tibby, Lena, Carmen and Bridget. The thing I liked most about the story is Brashares creative writing style and the characters themselves. They are so real and easy to identify with, a refreshing change from the many surreal offerings of late. I loved it. Another book with a great bonding, but of two women, a scientist and a doctor is Fusion by Bruce Huntly. Girls in Pants is refreshing and will surely put a smile on your face.
Also recommended: Fusion by Bruce Huntly.

Tyrannosaur Canyon
Tyrannosaur Canyon
by Douglas Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, good thriller., 11 Nov 2005
This review is from: Tyrannosaur Canyon (Hardcover)
This was a quick and easy read, engaging but not engrossing, interesting concepts but not mind-boggling. I didn’t like the really short chapters, finding that somewhat annoying. Generally, I enjoyed the story and its characters and the sub-plot added interest and a desire to see how everything was connected. I was kept interested and wanting to find out how it comes out. The chase scene through the desert could be abbreviated (it really kept going and going and going-like the batteries), but I suppose helps to build suspense. Not a great book, but certainly something for a weekend read. Also recommended: Bruce Huntly, Fusion (this is new author and I highly recommend this one!); Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point; John Grisham: The Broker; Michael Crichton: State of Fear.

Digital Fortress
Digital Fortress
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying enough read, but leaves a lot to be desired, 3 Nov 2005
This review is from: Digital Fortress (Paperback)
While I have generally enjoyed all of Dan Brown's stories, I found Digital Fortress somewhat unbelievable and far-fetched. For a work of fiction, an adventure and thriller, it meets the requirements, so long as you don't delve too deeply into the facts or science. The abilities of the characters also don't quite meet the mark - somewhat unbelievable and not in the realm of reality. While looking for something new to put a better taste in my mouth, I discovered a new thriller recently whose characters (unique) and strong science and facts, provided me with more thought-provoking ideas - Fusion, by Bruce Huntly. Huntly's techno-thriller has ideas and characters you can enjoy and take seriously, and he provides a possible solution to some of today's energy problems. I would recommend Fusion as a serious addition for readers of Dan Brown, Michael Crichton (State of Fear) or even Ian Caldwell (Rule of Four) and John Grisham (The Broker). Don't get me wrong, Digital Fortress, keeps your attention and is an entertaining enought book but it fell short on some of my expectations. Also recommended: Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point; Bruce Huntly: Fusion.

Deception Point
Deception Point
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying read, but the science and characters are a bit off, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
While I have enjoyed all of Dan Brown's stories, I found Deception Point somewhat unbelievable and far-fetched on some of the adventures and science. For a work of fiction, an adventure and thriller, it meets the requirements, so long as you don't delve too deeply into the facts. The abilities of the characters also doesn't quite meet the mark, somewhat exaggerated and not in the realm of reality. I discovered a new thriller recently whose characters (unique) and strong science and facts, provided me with more thought-provoking ideas - Fusion, by Bruce Huntly. Huntly's techno-thriller has ideas and characters you can enjoy and take seriously, and he provides a possible solution to some of today's energy problems. I would recommend Fusion as a serious addition for readers of Dan Brown and Michael Crichton. Deception Point, a good book but I felt fell short on some of my expectations.

State of Fear
State of Fear
by Michael Crichton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story - gives you something to ponder, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: State of Fear (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this new novel by an author I respect and have always enjoyed. I usually find Crichton thought-provoking, creative and an attention-getter, but this one was a little weak in its abundance of data and validity of its science, which might throw some people off, but since I'm a big fan of novels which include science, adventure, historical facts, projections, maps, etc., I found it quite fascinating. When I can say to someone else, "listen to this" and quote from a story I'm reading, then it's a book that has my attention. Anything to do with the environment, what we are doing to it, how it may play out, etc. peaks my interest. Another novel I recently discovered was a thriller, Fusion, by Bruce Huntly. This guy seems to have his facts and science down pat. It might be a good addition to Michael Crichton or to Dan Brown and others of their ilk. While State of Fear proved a little tedious in spots, it's still worth the read.

by Bruce Huntly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a real page-turner by a great new talent!, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Fusion (Paperback)
This new exciting and thought-provoking novel is an unexpected find! FUSION offers a refreshing perspective, a different slant on our normally accepted lead characters, interesting insights, humour, unique plot with some unexpected twists, sound science -everything you could want in a thriller and much more. It leaves me feeling satisfied, but also waiting for Bruce Huntly's next book to continue the challenge. I've read many novels by various authors on a variety of themes and I always enjoy something that offers at least a small intellectual challenge and some ideas or background based in fact. No-one can dispute the writing abilities of Dan Brown, John Grisham or Michael Crichton, but many established authors seem to be becoming repetitive or, let's face it, often predictable. For a possible new perspective on a resolution to our energy needs, this vision of an alternative energy source might provide the answer. Perhaps those in charge should take note and read a work of fiction to open their minds to other possibilities. There's also a fascinating computer who(which?) you cannot help but want one like this! This original story would also translate itself perfectly into an exciting movie or television series - certainly something a little more based in reality than some of what we see nowadays.

by Bruce Huntly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a real page-turner by a great new talent!, 11 Oct 2005
This review is from: Fusion (Hardcover)
This new novel is exciting and thought-provoking, an unexpected find! FUSION offers a refreshing perspective, a different slant on our normally accepted lead characters, interesting insights, humour, unique plot with some unexpected twists, sound science - everything you could want in a thriller and much more. It leaves me feeling satisfied, but also waiting for Bruce Huntly's next book to continue the challenge. I've read many novels by various authors on a variety of themes and I always enjoy something that offers at least a small intellectual challenge and some ideas or background based in fact. No-one can dispute the writing abilities of Dan Brown, John Grisham or Michael Crichton, but many established authors seem to be becoming repetitive or, let's face it, often predictable. For a possible solution for our energy needs, this vision of an alternative energy source might provide the answer. There's also a fascinating computer who(which?) you cannot help but want one like this! This original story would also translate itself perfectly into an exciting movie or television series - certainly something a little more based in reality than some of what we see nowadays.