Profile for robbie > Reviews

Content by robbie

robbie (uk)

Plugable USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Certain Android Systems - Supports SD cards (SDHC, Mini SD, Micro SD / T-Flash, etc) and MS, MS Pro Duo, MMC, More
Offered by Plugable Technologies

5.0 out of 5 stars A no-brainer, 5 Jun. 2013
I had an alternative product that slotted straight into the computer's USB socket, but the attachment weakened after a while - rendering it completely useless. With the USB attached to a cable on this one, there are fewer stresses involved each time you insert and remove it. Seems very well-made and, as I say, a real no-brainer at this price.

rooCASE Ultra Slim Matte (Blue) Shell Case for Apple iPod Nano 7 (7th Generation)
Offered by PCMICROSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED REVIEW: faultless bit of kit, 5 Jun. 2013
For performance and functionality, this easily deserves five stars - but it seems incredibly expensive for what it is. Having said that, I'm grateful to other reviewers for steering me away from cheaper alternatives that seemed to come with a whole range of quality issues, including fragile clips. This one suffers no such shortcomings: the clip is substantial and offers a long operating area, making it 100 percent secure when attached to my running shorts. It really allows you to get the best out of the Nano as a pedometer, because having it clipped to your waist maximises accuracy; and you can also easily reach the Nano's top button while running for a distance/time/pace update.

Despite the cost, if I lost it I'd buy another one because I know it performs perfectly. Looks good too.

UPDATE: Note that extra star. Given that this has seen heavyweight use in the year and a half I've had it (it gets clipped on and off my shorts four or five times a week), I'm even more impressed by its ruggedness and longevity. My initial comments about its great build quality can now be backed up by 18 months of trouble-free, use-and-forget ownership. I've dropped the iPod a couple of times on to a hard surface and it's come away unscathed - so this great little case has more than paid for itself. Revised summary: a bargain; worth every penny.

TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet iPad cover, 5 Feb. 2012
All the rave reviews are totally justified. For eleven quid, this is the biggest no-brainier on Amazon. Do pair it with a screen protector as well, though.

7dayshop Intelligent and Super Fast AA and AAA Battery Charger with LCD Display - 600LCD - Charge via Car, Worldwide Mains and USB
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars How do they do it..., 4 Oct. 2011
...for this amount of money? This is an exceptional product that charges the batteries efficiently (the LED display that shows charging progress is perfectly easy to see) and then provides a convenient storage case for them. My FujiFilm HS10 camera knows how to get through AA batteries, so I keep this charger with four fully charged batteries in the camera bag. Both the supplied 12v in car-charger and mains charger connect to the device via USB. As such, it means you also have a mains charger for iPod/iPad, or anything else that connects to a plug via USB. It's one heck of a package for eight quid, especially given the decent build quality and reliable performance.

The Bike Book
The Bike Book
by Fred Milson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for novices, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Bike Book (Hardcover)
Even though the chapter dealing with front mech adjustment looked a bit daunting (and even though I'm hopeless with anything that involves handling something out of a toolkit), I went ahead and had a go, anyway. Sadly, neither the text nor the photographs crawled far enough down the cycle maintenance food chain to cater for the likes of me and I ended up getting much more useful advice (words and video) online. It looks nice, but I'd swap the glossy paper and attractive design for a more novice-friendly approach.

Apple iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Generation
Apple iPod Touch 8GB 2nd Generation
Offered by EXTREME DEALS

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe how good it is, 24 Sept. 2008
After years of owning MP3 players from Creative and i-River, the arrival of this thing persuaded me to take my first plunge into the world of iPods. Good move on my part - it's a sensational bit of kit.

If you're showing it off (you WILL want to....), start with the screen. The quality is amazing, whether for viewing films, TV programmes or music videos (all downloadable via iTunes), as well as photographs or album art. My wife was sceptical about this aspect of the Touch ('who'd want to watch a film on a thing this size?'), but that melted away on the very first demo. Next, show off the arcade-quality graphics of the games you've downloaded from the new Apps Store (tip: at £6, Super Monkey Ball is a steal - but boy is it difficult).

My Touch hooked up to my home wi-fi network instantly, allowing smooth (and free) access to the internet. Zoom in on pages by moving your fingers over the screen - neat. Apps and music from iTunes download quickly via the dedicated icons on the home screen (probably too easily for the sake of my bank balance, but many of the hundreds of apps are free or under a quid).

As an MP3 player, it excels. Sound quality is brilliant, and I think that Apple's bundled headphones are better than those you get from Creative or iRiver. I use it while running and, yes, I'm aware of the extra weight in my (zipped!) pocket, but it's fine. In any event, I'm going to invest in a Nike iPod plus sensor - now compatible with the Touch - and armband. Battery life seems good, although downloading and browsing use more juice than just listening to music. The seamless, user-friendly way it syncs with iTunes (you'll need version 8) is a match made in heaven: it makes all other MP3/computer relationships look clunky and steam-powered.

This is a thing of great beauty and deserves to be kept that way. So, I strongly recommend a cover or case of some description, because the highly polished stainless steel back is vulnerable. Mine already has a couple of tiny, barely visible scratches. Oh, and there's a well-cool, iPod-monogrammed anti-static cloth rolled up in the hard plastic packaging case. Watch you don't miss it - I nearly did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2008 4:22 PM GMT

TomTom ONE Great Britain GPS (with Bluetooth)
TomTom ONE Great Britain GPS (with Bluetooth)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in all regards, 3 April 2007
My work means I've driven scores of cars with built-in sat-nav systems, but this is the first aftermarket device I've owned - so thanks to my fellow reviewers for helping me make such a good decision. It's an absolute dawdle to use, the mapping is excellent (choose either 2D or 3D) and the screen is delightfully easy to see.

You can set the display to include clock, journey time, estimated arrival time and current speed. The voice command (you can choose from a number of voices, male or female) is cleverly speed-related so you can hear it perfectly, even over the radio. It's not intrusive, but it's up to you what volume it's set to, or you can disable it altogether.

You can set the map to include points of interest. To save clutter, I have mine set to show just filling stations and cashpoint machines - both are highly accurate, as is the safety camera warning function that comes as a free download as I write this.

I've found that this unit really helps reduce stress on unfamiliar roads, because you can see at a glance what your next manoeuvre is (no need to start worrying about looking for signposts if you can see that you have another 19 miles until your turn-off...). Likewise, if you can see that there's a roundabout coming up in one mile, it's not worth busting a gut to pass a slower-moving vehicle.

The unit comes with a 12v charger so you can power it from your car's socket, but it'll run happily for three hours or more on its own battery when fully charged. I was pleased to find that my iPod mains charger works perfectly well with it.

Based on seeing how it performs on local roads, I'd say its routing is pretty much spot-on. If you decide to go a different way, it's impressively quick at sorting you out an alternative route. You can set it to give you cycling or walking routes - a fantastic feature that kills the A-Z stone dead for day trips to London or other big cities. We're off to the States on holiday later this year - this will be coming with me, complete with the USA/Canada SD card (you can also buy one for Western Europe).

A brilliant little gadget - I just love it.

Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB - White
Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly good bit of kit, 17 Mar. 2006
I bought this to replace my Creative Zen Micro which, although a great player, suffers rubbish battery life ' and the headphone socket had worked loose due, I think, to my using it attached to an armband while running.
So, I wanted something that I could use while running without risking damage; and which I could switch on, safe in the knowledge that I wouldn't be left staring at a 'low battery' warning - again.
Other reviews pointed me in the direction of this little beauty - and thanks to everyone who gave it such brilliant write-ups. You're all spot-on. Sound quality is better than on the Zen Micro, which itself is good. The Equaliser feature on the menu does make a difference on certain tracks if you can be bothered to dive in and out of it; otherwise, standard setting is fine, with good detailing and prominent bass.
I knew from the reviews that it would be small, but I still wasn't prepared for how tiny it is. It now slides snugly into the key pocket (too small even for keys, actually) of my running shorts, so I can wave goodbye to the armband that I thought was a fine solution, but which I now look back on as being cumbersome and ungainly.
It's still running on the Duracell AAA battery that comes with the player ' 12 hours or so of use, and still with two out of three bars showing. And that use includes an awful lot of footering about with the menu to get used to its many features.
And what features, too. The FM radio is a revelation: the one on the Micro is appalling, which didn't bother me too much. But here, reception is so good, I find myself using it. It's stable enough to tune into even while running, and you can even record straight from FM. I use the voice recording facility, too, and the menu makes it easy to cue/review while typing up notes.
The standard headphones get something of a bad press. Sound-wise, they compare favourably with others I've tried. They're a little bit big, but I'm happy to use them on long runs with just the occasional adjustment. And the drag-and-drop downloading from the computer is quick and simple. It's also much easier to set up folders with this than with the Zen Micro.
I'm still feeling really, really smug at getting my choice so right.
Update: months down the line, I'm still really happy with the Nano. The ability simply to drag and drop from PC or Mac is fantastic, and the sound quality still wows me. I use the voice recording facility all the time and I also use it as back-up storage for Word files. My son has cottoned on to what a cool gadget it is. He's impressed by the fact that the menu allows him to listen to just the tracks in his folder - whether in order or shuffled - or in all the folders.
I see that a couple of buyers have suffered the problem of it unexpectedly cutting out shortly after switching on. This has happened to me two or three times. If the player's not that old, the thing to do is obviously to send it back. But I've found a way round it: if it cuts out, turn it back on again and immediately push the menu button. Scroll round to any function other than the music folders (I usually listen to the radio) and select that. Leave it be for a minute or two, then scroll back to your music folders - it should work fine then.
Incidentally, I've experimented with various headphones, including a pair Panansonic things, and found that none are as good as the standard ones.
so I can't understand why anyone would buy anything else, unless 1GB isn't enough. Not a problem for me: because it's so simple to drag and drop, I just take 20 minutes out every few months and refresh the content.
Recommended just as highly, if not more so, than before.

Anybody's Bike Book: Comprehensive Manual of Bicycle Repairs
Anybody's Bike Book: Comprehensive Manual of Bicycle Repairs
by Tom Cuthbertson

5.0 out of 5 stars If I can do it…, 3 Mar. 2004
Honestly, there's no one on the planet less technically gifted than me. But with six bikes in the household, I can't keep running to the bike shop every time I discover a loose dust cap. So I searched for a bike maintenance book for idiots and took a punt on this one.
Wise move! Without it, I'd have been totally stumped by a rear brake caliper problem on my racing bike, so it's already paid for itself and more. Yes, there are a lot of Americanisms in there, but I think they suit the laconic, faintly irreverent writing style.
It's a compact paperback, too, so you can stuff it in your rucksack when you go out on the bike for the day.
If you're hopeless at fixing things but at least want to give it a try, this won't disappoint.

late nightmovies
late nightmovies
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars it's still around!, 13 July 2001
This review is from: late nightmovies (Audio CD)
I'm just amazed this is available on CD - I'd have put money on it being long deleted. This, then, is a golden opportunity for anyone who doesn't own it to spend a few quid on a genuinely innovative record that, to use a much-abused cliché, was years ahead of its time. The extra tracks are just a bonus. The Doctors of Madness were the first band I ever saw live - and when they came on stage, it was the equivalent of a chick hatching from the egg and adopting the first thing it saw as its mother. They were brilliant that rainy night in Dunfermline back in 1975, and so were the headlining act, Be-Bop Deluxe. The other two LPs - I wouldn't part with them for anything - never scaled the heights of this eclectic work of genius.