Profile for Sonja Hilborne-Clarke > Reviews

Content by Sonja Hilborne...

Sonja Hilborne-Clarke (North Yorkshire, UK)

Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website
Biological Psychology Plus Access Card for Gradetracker Website
by Dr Fred Toates

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Resource, 21 Jun. 2011
This updated 3rd edition of Frederick Toates' Biological Psychology is superb!

Right at the beginning of this substantial book (659 pages), clear and comprehensive information is given about the complementary website (to which you are given an access code when you purchase the book) and this website can be used together with the book (although it does not have to be). The website provides interactive exercises, animations and video clips and, particularly useful, are the explanations to the 'Test your Knowledge' questions in the book.

The book itself covers areas such as genes, environment and evolution; the nervous and endocrine system; how the cells of the nervous system work and the brain: basics of structure and role, to name but a few. All in all there are 22 chapters. At the end of each section, there is a helpful summary, but there is also another summary at the end of each chapter along with answers to the 'Test your Knowledge' questions (explanations to the answers are on the website) and recommendations for further reading.

As with previous editions, the style of writing is clear and approachable. The content, although demanding and at times difficult, is conveyed in such a way as to be comprehensible and fascinating and at no point do I feel overwhelmed thanks to the frequent and helpful illustrations as well as the informative and helpful explanations.

The author's enthusiasm, in-depth knowledge of not only the content, but how to teach it, can be found right the way through this excellent work and it makes for riveting reading. I find myself dipping in and out of the book when I have a few minutes, as well as having more intensive study sessions and I am always left wanting to read and learn more.

It's a brilliant book and I could not recommend it more highly.

The Pursuit of Happyness [DVD] (2006) [2007]
The Pursuit of Happyness [DVD] (2006) [2007]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars What a film!, 30 Aug. 2007
We've just purchased and watched the film for the first time. I was a bit dubious at the beginning but unnecessarily so as this film really is superb!

It portrays a young man, who despite having so much working against him, never gives up pursuing his ambition. Will's son, who plays his son in this film is excellent too and the whole film was utterly convincing and hugely motivating too in that it highlighted what is possible if the will and determination are there - as such the film really is an inspiration.

Yes, we needed tissues too although it's not by any means a weep-throughout type of film.

I can highly recommend it and we will definitely be watching it again.

Biological Psychology: AND Companion Website with GradeTracker, Student Access Card
by Dr Fred Toates

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Biological Psychology Book, 21 May 2007
Dr. Graham Mitchell and Dr. P.J.J. Corr have left detailed reviews on this book but I wanted to add my views to this as a student completely new to the subject of biological psychology.

The subject area fascinates me but is also quite scarey in its incredible complexity and I had been looking around for a book which would make the subject more accessible and less intimidating to a 'newbie' such as myself.

This superb book by Frederick Toates has become my constant study companion. There are numerous clear explanations and illustrations and the book is written in a very clear, logical and comprehensible style and with a touch of humour too which is great.

I can't recommend it enough for anyone wanting an interesting, non-patronising, comprehensive and just completely excellent book on biological psychology - I couldn't sing its praises more highly.