Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Bookworm

Bookworm (Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Heartland: A Novel (Hebrides)
Heartland: A Novel (Hebrides)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but lacked pace, 16 Jan. 2015
I enjoyed this after a very slow start I got into the story but it lacked a really good central character and relied too much on the setting. I probably won't read the others in this series unless they are 99p or less. Perhaps because Peter May's Lewis Trilogy were so good I expected too much of this. I also preferred Anne Cleeves' Shetland Series. Both conveyed the atmosphere of this region so much better and would recommend them to you. So the book was okay but not great.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

1.0 out of 5 stars Gone - to a charity shop, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I could not finish this book, the style, the characters and the tortured prose I gave up after 50 pages . The two main characters were so shallow i cannot see what the hype is about. The book has gone to a charity shop.

Leaving Time
Leaving Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and moving story, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Leaving Time (Kindle Edition)
I was so sad when this book finished as I enjoyed it so much , both the story of the elephants and that of the people. It is a book about the relationship between mothers and daughters and coping with death both animal and human . The descriptions of elephants mourning death are so moving and beautifully written, perhaps more so than those of the people in the book. The story evolves as the different characters take a chapter at a time to tell their story it takes a little while for the characters to evolve but stay with it, it is worth it. Jemma is searching for her mother, Alice, who has disappeared from her life after a tragedy at the elephant sanctuary where she is studying elephant behaviour, in particular the grief process. Jenna knows very little about her mother as the grandmother with whom she lives appears to be protecting her from the truth.the story unfolds as each character takes a turn in revealing their story. This device of changing narrators and time frames is a little unsettling to begin with but gets easier to follow. I will not reveal too much as I hate spoilers in reviews. Enjoy !

The People in the Photo
The People in the Photo

4.0 out of 5 stars Told with french style, 31 Dec. 2014
I loved this book and normally avoid books with letters. This charming and very French tale of a woman who finds a photo of her late mother and tries to track down the other people in the photo . She does this as she knows very little of her mother, who died when she was young. It is a little contrived and also a little predictable but it is told with such style.

The Missing [DVD]
The Missing [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Nesbitt

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had missed it, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Missing [DVD] (DVD)
Okay for about 3 hours but became too drawn out . The red herrings were pointless and inconclusive. I too couldn't wait for the last episode just because by then i was bored and hoped for an exciting ending, I was disappointed. The characters were not credible, I found it difficult to remember the mother's name she was so insipid, the father seemed to have no visible means of support, the English policeman was useless and superfluous to the plot and the wedding in the last episode was so silly as to be farcical. However my husband loved it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 11:53 PM GMT

Thin Air: (Shetland series 6)
Thin Air: (Shetland series 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the TV series, 4 Dec. 2014
I really enjoy the way the character of inspector Perez has developed over the series I am fascinated by the story of Shetland itself and for me the Isles are the real stars of this series not just the background. Please can we have more. The lives of the islanders are so different and are integral to the stories. Having said all that they are really good, well written and credible detective stories

The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
by Jane Casey

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the fifth Maeve Kerrigan, 29 Nov. 2014
Another great story in this series. I think it really helps if you read these in order as the characters are developing and the books refer to previous in the series. Maeve is feisty and credible but the male characters are flawed and often weak but maybe that just adds to the enjoyment. Looking forward to the next one.

The Kissing Gates
The Kissing Gates
by Mackenzie Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Secrets, love and war, 1 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Kissing Gates (Paperback)
A story of romance and intrigue in WW1 starting with the Christmas truce in the trenches. The story of an English soldier. Hal is given a photo by the German officer he meets at the ceasefire and asks him to give it to the English woman he met and loved before the war. The book does not glorify war it tells of the horror and awful things that were done in the name of loyalty and is very balanced. I admit I got a little bored with the sister's letters otherwise this would be a 5 star review.
I agree with other reviewers that the ending could have been different ( I will stop at that as I hate spoilers) but enjoyed it as it was told.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

1.0 out of 5 stars Into the deleted section, 30 Oct. 2014
I have reached 19% on my Kindle and am about to delete this drivel. It is so repetitive, Catherine and her very boring friends , who seem to lead rather useless lives do not hold my interest and I am getting very fed up with "Monday 8 Dec 2003' etc as I fail to see why we need to know the exact day of the week something happened. Enough is enough and I just cannot understand all the 5 star reviews . Obviously something must happen in this book but I am not prepared to read on

This Fragile Life
This Fragile Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the tissues nearby, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: This Fragile Life (Kindle Edition)
A moving story, well written without being sickly. Tells the story of a couple, desperate to have children, after failed IVF they decide to adopt . However not everything goes to plan and I don't want to spoil it for you by saying too much other than the book shows how strong women can be, how damaging mothers can be to their daughters and how important it is to be open in relationships.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13