ARRAY(0xa8684d20)

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a picture, a beautiful story, 28 Oct 2012
The first Jojo Moyes book I have read. I was expecting chic lit, I am not sure why I was, and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing and the beautifully crafted story. A story of occupied France with light and shade, not all the Germans were evil or all the French perfect. I will now give her other books a chance.

The Cyclist: A World War II Thriller (World War II Adventure Series)
The Cyclist: A World War II Thriller (World War II Adventure Series)
Price: 1.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, badly written, 24 Oct 2012
Slow,tedious and adds nothing to the fascinating story of Vichy France. The characters are two dimensional and totally improbable. There is no tension or suspense and I struggled to finish the book. Never mind fifty shades of grey , the characterisation was so black and white it reminded me of a comic book. If I were to go into the inaccuracies about France it would take all night. Why was it called The Cyclist ? Overpriced at 1.92 .

Red Leaves
Red Leaves
by Thomas H. Cook

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good and rather obviousand utterly forgetable, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Red Leaves (Paperback)
This book is truly average and a poor version of other psychological crime novels. The plot was just about okay but the characters were poorly written and behaved in an unlikely fashion. I really didn't care what became of any of them and struggled to finish the book,. So much so I had forgotten about the book until I was asked to review it - says it all.

Party Animal
Party Animal
Price: 2.56

1.0 out of 5 stars tedious short stories for. mostly. cat lovers, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Party Animal (Kindle Edition)
Hated the stories told by the animals and most of the tales(no pun intended) were truly awful. Very disappointed as some of the authors can write a good story

Ex-Wives
Ex-Wives
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay. but not very memorable, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ex-Wives (Kindle Edition)
I think I have been generous with the three stars . The main character Kate seems shallow and a bit stupid, getting over her husbands death so quickly and putting up with the new boyfriend's ex wife's behaviour, so difficult to care about her. Preferred Ms Howard's previous books but would have preferred her to have used a different name and not to rely on her minor celebrity status.

My Life in France
My Life in France
by Julia Child

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, slow and not to my taste, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: My Life in France (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by a friend in a book group who has great taste ( no pun intended) in books, I struggle through the book but found the woman boring, spoilt and so full of herself . Endless tales of I did this I did that better than anyone else and badly told. I appreciate her cook books might fantastic but this was not for me.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James
Price: 3.85

1.0 out of 5 stars No shade of grey, it's appalling ., 11 July 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
The reviews are black and white, I have never read such polarised views, I downloaded a preview, thank god I didn't waste money. This is quite the worst drivel I have ever read. Poor English. repetitive use of adverbs and adjectives, though I doubt the author knows what they are.

It makes Mills and Boon look like literature and the dross that was in the sample reminded me of the magazine stories I read as a teenager. So far there is no sex in the book , although the girl Ana seemed to get over excited in the shower - really 5 star people you need to get a life and a sex life of your own. Perhaps if you stopped reading this you might.

Please, please Amazon give us the option for no stars or even minus stars!

The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
The French Kitchen: A Cookbook
by Joanne Harris
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply delicious, 5 July 2012
I live part of the time in France and part in the UK and I use this book all the time in both countries. The salads are simple to make and simply delicious . All the ingredients are easy to source and the recipes easy to follow. THe mushroom and the asparagus recipes are so good you will wonder why anyone would cook them any other way. I have bought this book for all my friends for birthday presents and regret that they now see how easy it is to make the meals I give them.

The Paris Wife
The Paris Wife
by Paula McLain
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment,, 29 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Paperback)
This book really fails to live up to the hype on the cover. It is not about Paris or the Jazz Age but about some very silly and self indulgent people. Supposedly based on the life of Hemingway and his wife Hadley it name drops the names of artists and writers and does not develop the characters into people one could care about. The last two or three chapters are a little better but I very nearly gave up half through. There was no plot, no story and no point to this dreary offering which was more a list of places they visited and does not add to any understanding of the time or Hemingway. I love Paris and Hemingway but this was a letdown. Sorry.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
by Jamie Ford
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter and Sweet and a joy to read, 24 Jun 2012
Just spent the day finishing this book. It put a very human slant on Japanese American internment at the same time weaving a love story between 1942 and 1986 . A young Chinese American boy meets a Japanese American girl struggles with prejudice both inside and outside the home, against a background of WW2 when the Japanese were fighting both China and America. A moving story , well told and different from all the formulaic novels on offer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10