Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Book Thief
The Book Thief

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because of the hype so I only have myself to blame. Maybe there is a point to the book , a story worth telling, but it is so tedious and the writing so clumsy and tortured I have given up. I cannot understand why anyone enjoyed it.

Before you add comments about how many people have given it five stars, let me remind you, that Fifty Shades of Grey had even more 5 stars. That was also rubbish , so 5 stars means very little.

Love Anthony
Love Anthony

4.0 out of 5 stars 4/5 stars, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love Anthony (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I enjoyed this very much it didn't move as much as Still Alice or fascinate me as much as Left Neglected both of which I gave 5 stars. A sympathetic treatment of a difficult subject like autism is really hard and this book succeeded.

Snakehead: 4 (The China Thrillers)
Snakehead: 4 (The China Thrillers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Snakehead, May as good as ever, 14 Feb 2014
Really enjoyed this as much as the first 3 in the series. I am rationing them as I have read all his other books and will have to find another author to take his place.

The Perfume Garden
The Perfume Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars History, war and romance, 20 Jan 2014
A blend of two stories , one in the Spanish Civil War and the other at the turn of 21st Century. Normally I don't enjoy books flipping backward and forward in time but this is both clearly noted and obvious from the story line. Historical names and facts are interwoven with fiction and the wartime story is better told than the modern, in my opinion.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller

5.0 out of 5 stars A great storyteller, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Storyteller (Kindle Edition)
As ever , her book is immaculately researched and makes you look at a subject anew. The holocaust is such a difficult subject to translate into fiction without being trite. Did I enjoy it, or was I just totally enraptured by the story? Difficult to enjoy such a subject and if you are squeamish , then the graphically told events in the concentration camp will not be for you. . That aside, it is a wonderful gripping story of love, guilt, forgiveness and betrayal.

When You Walked Back into My Life
When You Walked Back into My Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.., 8 Jan 2014
I expected better after Thursdays in the Park. This was predictable and ordinary and the main character was a bit of a doormat and I couldn't warm to her. It wasn't awful but neither was it good.

Broken Angels (Katie Maguire 2)
Broken Angels (Katie Maguire 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story but very gory, 26 Dec 2013
A good story well told and utterly believable. However, don't read this if you are sensitive as the torture is told in graphic detail.

A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
by Susan Hill

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..time to finish this series., 10 Dec 2013
I have read all §the Simon Serrailler books and obviously enjoyed them or I wouldn't have bought this one. However it will be the last. Ms Hill seems to have run out of steam it took at least three chapters to get moving and then slowly. The characters personal lives were developed and then left hanging at the end like an episode of a poor soap opera. If she thinks i would buy another book to find out what happens then she is wrong because the characters are not interesting enough to care about their lives and what happens to them Serrallier was a strong, moral and decisive man in previous books but now comes over as a weak man both in his professional and private life. If there is another book, please kill him off he has outgrown his use.

Blacklight Blue (The Enzo Files)
Blacklight Blue (The Enzo Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enzo does it again, 9 Dec 2013
Another great Enzo book. I know all the places mentioned in the book and you can see the places as he describes them so well . You don't need to have visited them to enjoy e books however. Lots of twists. loved it.

Blowback (The Enzo Files)
Blowback (The Enzo Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read can we have some more please, 9 Dec 2013
Loved this as much as the other Enzo books , Please write some more , If you enjoy these read The Lewis Man books, just as good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11