Profile for Phillip Parsons > Reviews

Content by Phillip Parsons

Phillip Parsons "phillipgparsons"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Berghaus Men's Explorer Trek Gore-Tex GTX Waterproof Walking Boots (UK 10 (EU 45)) & Berghaus Pen
Offered by Trekkers UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant comfort, great value, 31 Dec. 2014
This is my fifth pair of Berghaus Explorer boots, I buy a new pair each year. They are always superbly comfortable and keep my feet dry in all but extreme conditions, I love them! Perhaps the sole could be more durable, after 700-800 miles there is not a lot of grip left on the heels and at that point I start on a new pair, keeping the older boots for dry conditions. I probably end up getting 1,100 miles out of a pair, that's about 10 months walking for me. For me, that's better than Carrimore and HiTec and about the same as Merrell. At around £70 they are excellent value. One point to note, they are not a wide fitting and I find I need a size larger than my every day office shoes.

Inov8 Panasonic DMW-BLC12 Replacement Lithium Digital Camera Battery 850mAh 7.2v Li-ion 2 year warranty

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 7 Oct. 2014
Claims to meet or exceed the manufacturer's specs. My original is 1200mAh not 850!

3m Extending water fed upstairs window cleaning Brush + SQUEEGE
3m Extending water fed upstairs window cleaning Brush + SQUEEGE
Offered by TheBigShip

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, but does the job., 31 May 2014
I bought this product to clean our large conservatory roof and our solar panels. The first thing to check is that you have a good, compatible connector on the end of your hose. The first one I used leaked and popped off from time to time resulting in considerable annoyance and a soaking. A new one solved that, perhaps something that could have been included for a few pence more?
In use, the extended tube/handle full of water and with hose attached, you are working with quite a bit of weight. If working off a ladder or steps, some thought re safety needs to be applied as thrusting this weight up and down is not only pretty tiring but could cause a loss of balance.
The brush head tends to come lose from time to time, a bit of a pain, but no more than that.
In conclusion, it does what it claims to, appears to be reasonably robust and is decent value.

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit MAR SB Servicepack 1 English UK
Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit MAR SB Servicepack 1 English UK
Offered by stop_computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 29 April 2014
Does everything claimed, fast delivery, good price. Allows me to use old software designed for XP. I recommend a clean install for best results.

Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment
Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment
Offered by EXTREME DEALS

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but very awkward to use., 29 April 2014
Capable of superb results, but very fiddly to use, not really suitable for use in the field photographing insects etc.

Berghaus MENS Explorer Trail Light Olive 80024 O92 10 UK
Berghaus MENS Explorer Trail Light Olive 80024 O92 10 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light weight trekkig boot, 29 April 2014
I've used the standard Berghaus Explorer boot for several years (3 pairs) but decided to try these for a trekking holiday in the Himalayas in northern India. They are about 150g lighter than the standard boot, so a little lighter in the suitcase and less to pick up with each step taken.
As usual, comfort was superb and they felt right straight out of the box. The sole construction appears to be the same as the standard boot, fine for all but the roughest terrain and splashing through a few streams presented no problem. Previous experience suggests that the soles will be pretty well worn after 800 miles, that's about 7 months for me. Not a great life, but at under £60 they represent excellent value and I will certainly buy again at that price.

Fujifilm X-S1 Digital Camera (12MP, 26x Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tiltable LCD Screen
Offered by expressdealsUK

4.0 out of 5 stars A great all rounder, 19 Feb. 2014
By Tony B - 3 Feb 2013

Amazon Verified Purchase

I'm an experienced enthusiast and have owned a number of DSLR's and some very nice lenses. Over they years I've come to the conclusion that carrying a bag full of heavy lenses is a mugs game unless your wages depend on it. I've gradually downsized my gear but generally avoided Bridge cameras. In the past they have been so so and always a compromise too far for me personally. That is until now. I bought the Fuji X10 as a smaller pocketable camera and have been very impressed with the IQ of the smaller sensor. This drew me onto the XS-1, which has the same sensor in it. I know from previous experience that it's never a good idea to be a an early adopter of a new FUji model, they almost always contain bugs or faults. However, Fuji usually iron these out fairly quickly and so it appears to be with the X-S1. I'd been interested in the camera for a while and recently felt confident enough that Fuji had removed the issues prevalent in the earlier copies (lens drooping, soft lens issues). I finally bit the bullet and have had mine for a few days now, enough for some reasonable testing and to get a feel for what it can do.
I have to say it is a lot of camera for the price it's now selling at ( over a third less than it's original price ). Make no mistake this is a very well built and designed camera. Having a camera with a quality built in zoom which goes from 24-624mm is a revelation, and this is an excellent lens. It's sharp throughout it's focal length and across the frame, no mean achievement for a lens with this range. You will definitely not find a lens like it in the DSLR world, mainly because the lens has been specifically designed for the sensor/camera, which means less in the way of compromises.
The image quality is very good for a 2/3 inch sensor, great dynamic range, colour and resolution. Yes you can get better image quality from a DSLR but the image quality from this camera is close enough for it not to be an issue for me personally. I'll take the trade off between not having to swap lenses and the slightly lower image quality every day, because this camera means you will get a lot more shots. Though it's not small, it's not a burden to carry because it is very versatile. Macro capability is excellent, 24mm at the wide end is very good and 600mm at the long end is phenomenal.
If you printed from this camera and an average APS-C camera up to A4 size I doubt you'd notice much difference at all, in fact because of the lens, at low ISO's and at the long end, this camera could even edge it in some scenario's.
The X-S1 also has phenomenal image stabilisation. It is possible to handhold the camera and get sharp shots at ridiculously long focal lengths and low shutter speeds if you know what you are doing, very impressive and it helps to compensate for the slower maximum aperture in some situations.
The electronic viewfinder is also excellent, right up there with the best I've used, large and bright, it's easy to forget it's not an optical viewfinder.
The camera itself is very easy to operate with ample external buttons and dials and if you're coming from a DSLR you'll feel right at home with this camera. Though you can get great results straight from it, I recommend taking the time to understand how the Fuji EXR technology works. This is key to getting the absolute best out of the X-S1 in different conditions. I also recommend reducing the noise reduction to low as it can be a bit aggressive and cause smearing if it's set higher. There are many bad examples of shots taken from this camera on Flickr, these are mainly from people who either don't know how to make best use of the wealth of settings, or don't care and are happy with the results. Take it from me, if you take the time to understand EXR modes, and when to use them, you can get stunning results. There is a lot of nonsense talked about DSLR's and their mythical IQ on the internet, you can get excellent results from just about any modern half decent camera these days, as long as you don't get into 100% magnification pixel peeping. A camera like the X-S1 is just about all the camera that most people should ever need, more in many cases. It will certainly get you a wider variety and greater volume of shots than you will fiddling about with changing lenses on a DSLR (if you've even bothered to carry it).
I haven't even mentioned video because I haven't tried it but from what I've read it's pretty good and you can even get some slo-mo effects for a bit of fun.
What didn't I like? well not a lot really, just minor points, the command dial moves a bit too freely on mine, easy to knock but that's just nit-picking.
I would have preferred the ISO button on the right hand side of the camera but I can live with it and that's about it.
The biggest shame about the X-S1 is that it's reputation was damaged early on with poor quality control from Fuji, this is typical of them, and even though they've now sorted it, the X-S1 has been stigmatised because of it. This is a real shame as a lot of people have been put off buying this truly excellent camera. Fuji really need to sort that out as it's been the case with a number of models they have released (X100, X10), though I guess it's better late than never. I can safely say my X-S1 has none of the problems of the earlier models.
Overall, at £399 a camera this good is a steal, it really is the most versatile "one size fits all" solution there currently is in my opinion. I have a number of decent cameras, including the Olympus E-M5, but if I had to use only one camera it would be the X-S1, because I know it can do 90% of anything I'd need it to and do it really well, you can't really ask for more than that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 1:28 PM GMT

Edimax EW-7711USN Wireless nLite High Gain USB Adapter
Edimax EW-7711USN Wireless nLite High Gain USB Adapter
Offered by Scan Computers Intl Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 2 Feb. 2014
I bought a new Humax just before Christmas and realised that I could get On Demand TV if I could connect to my router. Hard wiring is recommended, but my router is two rooms away with stone walls between. I decided to try one of these and to be honest I wasn't over confident that it would work. I needn't have worried. It was dead easy to set up from the Humax and using the included lead I located it away from the other TV leads to reduce any interference. The Humax has three options for the quality of internet sourced TV, selectable depending on how good your signal is. I was really surprised to find that full HD works perfectly. So, as long as it proves reliable I have no hesitation in recommending this as an excellent product and very good value.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2014 1:55 PM GMT

Berghaus Men's Explorer Trek Hiking Boot
Berghaus Men's Explorer Trek Hiking Boot
Price: £69.97 - £119.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent comfort, but questionable durability., 30 Dec. 2013
I'm on my third pair of these boots and go back for more because of their excellent comfort and if bought for around £70, excellent value. Despite being gortex lined, they are water resistant rather than waterproof and 2 or 3 hours in wet conditions is enough to allow some water ingress where the boots flex at the lower part of the tongue. Grip is fairly good, though a more open tread would be better in extreme mud.
I question durability, but this of course is a relative issue. I walk most days and cover about 120 miles a month, mixed stony tracks, grass paths and a small amount of road use. After 7-8 months the uppers are still fine, but the sole and especially the heal of the boot have nothing left to cope with slippery muddy conditions. I can compare this to Merrill, HiTek and Karrimor products and my choice remains the Berghaus product as long as the price is right.
In conclusion, an excellent, very comfortable boot, good in all but very rough or wet conditions.

Hoya 62mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter
Hoya 62mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-in Filter
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 26 Dec. 2013
I always use a UV filter to protect my lens. This is a good quality product at a good price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3