Profile for Still Limping > Reviews

If You Knew Me You Would Care
If You Knew Me You Would Care
by Zainab Salbi

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing the World One Woman at a Time, 1 Nov 2013
This book really opened my eyes. Zainab's book encompasses the struggles but also the hope and beauty of women in war torn countries. The photography speaks by itself but the stories behind them are just as powerful. I have now given it as a gift to family and friends, its a beautiful book that should be on every coffee table.

The Coast to Coast Walk (Recreational Path Guides)
The Coast to Coast Walk (Recreational Path Guides)
by Martin Wainwright

1.0 out of 5 stars FOR YOUR FEET AND YOUR SANITY, DON'T BUY THIS BOOK, 4 Sep 2009
Please let me start by saying I have never written an amazon (or any other site for that matter) review before... frankly before this book 'experience' i've never really cared enough. I mean, its only a book right, how bad (or good) could it be, and frankly surely i must have better things to do with my life than type a book review... well that should give you an inkling into my strength of feeling about this book... I feel I owe it to current and future Coast to Coasters, particularly the ones fuelled more by enthusiasm than by experience to WARN YOU OFF THIS BOOK.. DON'T DO IT...BEWARE...AM WAVING A BIG RED FLAG OF DANGER! let me tell you more...

I've just completed the Coast to Coast walk (Aug 2009)and I would recommend it thoroughly to anyone and everyone - it was a major challenge, particularly for inexperienced walkers like myself and my friend, but the sense of achievement upon reaching RHB and dipping our toe in the North Sea and chucking the pebbles we'd carried for the last 12 days was AMAZING, FABULOUS and WORTH ALL THE BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS! But... and this is a HUGE but.... do it, but don't do it with this book as your guide, it is the biggest waste of money, waste of paper, waste of effort in guide book history (Alfred must literally be turning in his grave), it got us lost so many times, we ended up doing probably about 250 miles instead of the traditional 192! we also did an extra mountain in the lakes... by accident... having followed the ridiculous route and musings of the author! And we weren't the only ones... we met many gorgeous fabulous people doing this challenge at the same time, and without exception the poor people who had had the same misfortune as me and had bought this book had, without exception, got lost, got confused, and got a headache on a daily basis.

To sum up: unclear, full of rambling musings and irrelevant anecdotes (mostly talking about things we might or might not see depending on the time of year e.g. a big red dog fox... errrr, what?!), full of made up words and phrases that are not in the English (or any other) language, had i mentioned unclear and confusing...

if that sounds like you're cup of tea go ahead, but alert the mountain rescue before you leave each day, you'll probably need them.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2011 8:03 PM BST