Profile for Paul Stewart > Reviews

Business Research Methods 3e
Business Research Methods 3e
by Alan Bryman

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 5 Feb 2014
Great textbook covering all angles for business research. Could have more information on evaluation and some better case studies, but good update.

The Winter Witch
The Winter Witch
by Paula Brackston

2.0 out of 5 stars dull, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Winter Witch (Paperback)
This one was a real snoozer. I'm a fairly tolerant reader, especially when it comes to historical fiction, but at the half-way mark I was bored with a capital "B". The premise sounds promising, but the mystery and magic is buried in thick scenes of cattle herding, horse-shoeing, animals dying and pastoral walks and rides. If you're a horse lover, perhaps this will interest you, but I found the logistics too tedious, killing any action that occurred. I dreaded these scenes and reluctantly began thumbing through the pages hoping that the story would pick up. I'm not certain why some of the lengthy details were important other than to quench the interest and knowledge of the author. In writing, there is always a fine line between completing the character by developing their legitimate expertise and life-style, and detailing diarrhea. I do respect the thoroughness of the characterization; however, it just didn't appeal to my area of interest. I was hoping for more strangeness, mystery, magic and witchy goodness. Instead, I got rugged mountain scenes, how to drive a herd and horse shoeing.

Since the lead female is mute, the entire POV is told from inside her head, thus, cutting out any dialogue. This could be creatively interesting if relieved with well-placed humor, but she is rather serious all the time, which lends to a rather depressing and intense read with little or no break in monotonous tension. She lacks dimension and because of this, ruined the appeal for me. The approach was deficient and the thoughts of the character stumbled towards purple prose rather than true thoughts and perspective. When choosing to be inside a character's head for that length of time it is important to fully explore what goes on there. To be honest, people simply do not think as this character does at all times. The grit was withheld and by doing so, resulted in a boring female character that was too Disney for my liking. At times, I was waiting for the blue bird to land on her shoulder and for the entire cast to break out into song as she danced around the horse pasture.

A Shade Of Vampire (Shade of Vampire; Book One)
A Shade Of Vampire (Shade of Vampire; Book One)
by Bella Forrest

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires, 3 Feb 2014
This is a stirring story about love and danger and one of my favorite fantasy characters, Vampires! The story has just enough drama, suspense and love; it is not gory or raunchy. From the first chapter, you are snagged into a whirlwind of a vampire world that is quite unlike any other story out there. I wish I could tell you more, but I don't want to give anything away! This is a must read for fantasy lovers! I couldn't put it down! This is just the beginning of a wonderful adventure, and I can not wait to read the next installment

Ark Royal
Ark Royal

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Ark Royal (Kindle Edition)
I didn't have high expectations and downloaded it as it is under £2. But not a bad read some interesting ideas and characters although could have been shorter in parts probably needs a editor. Worth a look.