Profile for GG > Reviews

6 GU10 Lamp Holder Base New Regulation Bulb Connector 240v GU10 Mains Holders
6 GU10 Lamp Holder Base New Regulation Bulb Connector 240v GU10 Mains Holders
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, promptly delivered, 27 July 2013
I wanted to replace a few 12v MR16 spots with mains powered LED GU10s and these did the job very cheaply. Because the two bulbs are pretty much the same size, and the glass at the front is exactly the same diameter, I can keep the fitting and just replace the holders. These appear to be built to a high standard - yes, they are ceramic, so they will crack if you drop them on a tiled floor or similar, but they are much better than cheap plastic. The wires at the end have been pre-cut, ready to remove the insulation. Only criticism is that the length of wire that's been exposed like this is a bit short and you'll probably need to strip back some more, but that's easily done. Arrived promptly, nicely packaged.

Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - SNR 35db - 10 pairs
Howard Leight Laser Lite soft foam earplugs - SNR 35db - 10 pairs
Offered by Elite Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, great value, great service, 7 Jun 2012
I was looking for a few different earplugs to try out at live music events (listening and performing) and found these. At £2.49 for 10 pairs I thought they were worth a go. A good fit on me, although everyone's ears are different, but at this price you can afford to try them out. They seem to block out a lot of noise, possibly too much for listening to music! Although disposable, you should be able to use them several times before they lose springiness (or you drop them in the mud at a festival!). Major plus points are well written fitting instructions and very quick delivery (they came the next day, although the supplier only specifies 3-5 days). I have bought much more expensive ones at camping shops (about a fiver for three pairs) and these ones are better.

Waltenberg
Waltenberg
by Hédi Kaddour

1.0 out of 5 stars An unrewarding read, 27 Nov 2009
This review is from: Waltenberg (Paperback)
This is one of only a tiny handful of books which I have started and never finished.

For me, the main problem was that the blurb implied it's an espionage story. In fact, it's a literary work about French political thought and communism from WWI to the present day. If you're interested in that, or you're a fan of Hedi Kaddour, you might possibly enjoy it. If you're looking for an Alan Furst style read (as I was), you should probably steer well clear.

Out of 660 pages I read the first 400 and the last 50 (hoping that something interesting might happen), so I think I gave the book a fair trial. As another reviewer has pointed out (and wittily lampooned), it contains some monumentally long sentences. This stylistic approach is an attempt to present each character's take on the world as a stream of consciousness. We visit the characters at several different times between WWI and 1991, hearing their inner voices and chunks of dialogue (actually monologues with responses only being hinted at). It all makes for a heavy read and I honestly don't think I missed much by skipping those 100 odd pages!

Unlike most espionage thrillers, very little actually happens. To give you just one example, two chapters (roughly 90 pages) are taken up describing a dinner party in 1965 in which the main events are: a) one of the main characters flirts with a guest b) there's an argument between another characters and André Malraux, the (real) French writer, which I couldn't understand (I think if I'd known something about the history of French communism it would have helped) and c) a discussion about a kangaroo that may, or may not, have appeared (I honestly can't work out which!) in one of Malraux's books.

Fortunately I borrowed this book from our local library. Before you shell out and buy it, I'd make sure it's really the kind of thing you want to read.

British Gas New Energy OWL Monitor
British Gas New Energy OWL Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a re-badged OWL CM119, 21 Oct 2009
I'd agree that this monitor is a useful way to keep an eye on your electricity usage. It's fairly easy to use (though the loud beep-beep as you move through the menus almost drove me mad when I set it up!) and seems to work well. Some other reviews have said how good the wireless transmission is between the sensor and the display - I don't know what it's like on other models, but I do know that I haven't had a problem in our house. Our meter is on an outside wall and the display still works fine on the top (second) floor, which is probably better than my broadband router can manage!

The main point I want to make is that this is a re-badged OWL CM119 - it's identical to that model in every respect except for a small "British Gas" logo printed above the display. So, if it's still being sold more cheaply than the non re-badged versions, you'd be wasting your money buying one of them. (I think the energy suppliers are being encouraged by the UK Government to promote energy conservation and subsidising this monitor is one of the ways that BG have decided to fulfills that obligation. Strangely, at time of writing, this cost more via BG's own website!) You might as well make use of this offer while it's still available.

Influence: Science and Practice
Influence: Science and Practice
by Robert B. Cialdini

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy more books than you need to!, 4 Dec 2008
I notice that a lot of people who buy this book also buy Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Amazon have an offer on the pair). Well, I haven't read that book but I did notice the following comment in the FAQ section of Cialdini's own website (influenceatwork.com):

On the question: "What's the difference between Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion and Influence: Science and Practice?", the basic answer from Cialdini is that Science and Practice is an updated book and "generally... a more complete discussion of the topic. We do not recommend purchasing both books." His words, not mine, but I hope this helps.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 2:36 AM GMT

Shoppingcentre.net - Wireless Network Range Extender
Shoppingcentre.net - Wireless Network Range Extender

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me!, 4 Dec 2007
This little box has done the trick for me, boosting the "Poor" or "Very poor" signal from a BT Home Hub to "Good" or "Very good" in my top (second) floor office.

It's not plug and play, but installation is fairly straightforward if you follow the instructions carefully. The manual omits one important point: You'll almost certainly end up changing the IP address of the WL-130 to work with your own network router. You should make a note of the new address so you can log on to the WL-130 to make changes in the future. I bought mine from a different supplier and I think the unit had been tried out by someone else, so the IP address was not the default one given in the manual; I had to press the reset button a couple of times to get the factory defaults back so that I could log in to the box and configure it for my setup.

Also, try out various locations and aerial orientations to get the best signal - the most obvious position may not be the best. Mine came with a bracket you can screw to the wall for permanent fixing. The cable on the power supply is a little short, but I'm sure you can buy a replacement if this is an issue for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2008 4:55 PM BST