Profile for Chris W > Reviews

Chris W

Tin Drum
Tin Drum

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this version., 13 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Tin Drum (Audio CD)
Five star album, let down by remaster.

As someone who wasn't around at the time, 1981 seems like it was a golden year for music. Maybe it was different to live through but to me it's a year with a ton of great albums... Sleep No More, Discipline, Slates, Deceit, Prayers On Fire, From The Lion's Mouth, Faith, Dare, Solid Gold, Trust etc. Tin Drum betters all of these with the exception of This Heat's Deceit.

Now that I've crow-barred in a link to Deceit (which frankly, I would do if I was reviewing a deck chair), I won't reiterate what other reviewers have said about the album but I do strongly recommend that you avoid this remastered edition. Virgin are very hit and miss with their remastering, a characteristic common to too many labels and it's always worth acting with caution before buying reissues of older albums. This edition sounds like it's been remixed, not just remastered because the percussion is way too loud and the music loses some of it's depth due to this. Get yourself an older second hand copy of Tin Drum.

I still give this four stars because it's a great album and if you're not as pedantic as me this remaster will probably suffice.

Also, one last note. This isn't Japan's only great album as seems to be the consensus; they're all great and the second album in particular is very underrated.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2010 3:30 PM BST