Profile for Paul "NS1000" > Reviews

Content by Paul "NS10...

Paul "NS1000" (Somewhere in England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
WD Red 1TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 1TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
Price: 47.41

1.0 out of 5 stars Just my bad luck?, 9 Aug 2014
Got this free with a Zyxel NAS doubled it in RAID1 with an old 1TB Hitachi Deskstar and after 4 days was having problems reading/writing to the NAS. NAS was making HDD clonking noises. Cursed myself for using the Hitachi thinking should have bought another WD RED only to find it's the Red that's failed. I had a WD drive years ago that failed, thought they were crap back then, that view still holds true. Will get it swapped out and never touch them again.

ZyXEL NSA325 v2 - NAS server - SATA 6Gb/s - RAID 0, 1, JBOD - Gigabit Ethernet(NSA325V2-EU0101F)
Offered by Ballicom International
Price: 104.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cheap NAS, 2 Aug 2014
Great value at the moment. Mine came with a promo offer that included a WD Red 1Tb drive, hooked up with a spare 1Tb drive I had spare and this is a bargain.

Does all I wanted and loads I will never use and is a doddle to set up. Mine is whisper quiet despite me buying a silent fan as a lot of reviews said it was noisy so I must have a good one.

For 96 I'm well happy.

Onda V975M 9.7 Inch Android 4.3 Quad Core 2GHz 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Dual Cameras 8500MAh WIFI Bluetooth 2MP 5MP Tablet PC
Offered by NewTec24 UK
Price: 143.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Good spec, bad version of custom Android., 12 July 2014
Let ,me start by saying this us my forth tablet. I had and sold a Scroll Extreme, then a Yuandao N90 II that I bricked but managed to get going again with TNT4 firmware and lasted two years and a Google Nexus 10. I wanted this as a spare.

My initial reaction having used it today after it arrived this morning is quite poor. It's wifi range is awful, 3m fine, 5m and it just sits there and eventually asks you to turn on your wifi. The custom Android 4,3 firmware is odd. I can find no way of accessing an apps or widget screen like all other tablets. I've used all Android versions up to 4,4,4 with no bother at all. It's full of Chinese apps which I fully understand, more than I've ever seen before, to remove them means rooting and removing them but I'm loathed to do this to a new tablet as if the tablet becomes faulty in warranty your screwed, same goes for putting 4.4 onto it. The other tablet I had from China only had a few which I removed as the tablet was already rooted.

For a person looking for a well specified tablet who is new to them I would say avoid. Yes I can improve this but if it goes wrong you're in trouble, however the wifi is still weak.

A pity as the seller was top notch with very quick responses to emails and my tablet arrived much quicker than I expected. It's not their fault the tablets not so good.

Added 7/8/14
After reading a comment left I decided to root it, replace the loader and ditch a heap of apps. Apart from the root saying it had failed, it hadn't SuperUser was installed and Titanium deleted the apps, it all went well. Tablets only let down is it's wifi so I've now kept it and full marks to the seller they have said that despite what I've done they will still try to help should things go wrong with the tablet. The seller is very good, was quick on emails and no quibbles when I was going to return it.

I've added a star because spec wise it's good but unless you want to hack it I still think as it is from new it's not for anyone who wants an 'out-the-box' tablet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 1:08 PM BST

Jazooli Nail Care 12 Piece Cutter Cuticle Clipper Manicure Pedicure Kit Case Gift Set
Offered by Jazooli
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the price makes you think., 12 Jun 2014
Good quality, sharp, just about perfect. My sister paid the same for just the scissors in this set from a beauty tv channel. When she saw my set she asked me to order another. Took under two days to arrive. Great seller, great product.

Brain Salad Surgery
Brain Salad Surgery
Price: 11.30

3.0 out of 5 stars No 5.1 DVD-A, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Brain Salad Surgery (Audio CD)
I have nearly all the versions of BSS and wanted this mainly as I was led to believe it contained the new 5.1 lossless mix to go wth the Steven Wilson versions of ELP and Tarkus, which I discovered it hasn't after it arrived. Yes the 24/96 versions are here and its nice to have, but the original mix is still the best on here and still not as good as my original vinyl. BSS is still a very good album, and reminds me of my early teenage years, but it's a shame you have to fork out loads of cash just to get the 5.1 when the original blurb said this had it.

Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker
Maxell MXSB 252 Digital SoundBase TV Speaker
Price: 89.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Biuetooth would have made it 5, 6 Mar 2014
Never have I bought something where I was in two minds about returning it. The sound out-of-the-box was disappointing, no better than my TV sound, I thought I'm returning it. After some bass/treble tweaking via the TV, my TV has no optical out so using the headphone socket, the sound improved and now after a week the unit sounds good, not great.

The reason I've decided to keep it is because the inputs make it so versatile. No more plugging/unplugging HDMI cables, everything can be left alone.

So cons;
Sound ok I have heard better soundbars around this price, volume via HDMI a bit low, remote, although it's not that bad it does work ok, does tend to rattle if you use Bass Boost 2, indicators could be better on unit, no bluetooth

Pros;
Versatile, looks good although big, and after a while sound does break in.

If it had been on sound alone I would say look elsewhere but as an entertainment hub, I have tablet, media player and laptop plugged in, it's worth it.

Now What?! Gold Edition
Now What?! Gold Edition
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I never bought it on release., 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Now What?! Gold Edition (Audio CD)
I was going to buy this on release but forgot about it. After this popping through the door I'm glad I did forget.

The original album was worth the wait. This SE version comes in a metallic gold gatefold digi-pac embossed sleeve with two discs, each in inner printed sleeves and two thick booklets. You all know the material on both discs but I'd have been gutted if I had bought the original and now seen this.

I've been stung with other bands doing this, now, I'm prepared to wait.

Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Rush
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture quality perfect, but the sound mix could have been better., 20 Nov 2013
No need for me to go over the content as most know it. I missed this tour due to the ticket prices but after seeing this I wish I'd gone as I do like Clockwork Angels a lot and this comes across as a great concert. The picture is as good as I've seen and the extras for once are worth having. Geddys voice is much better than on the TM release but he still has the odd bit that makes you cringe.

My only slight gripe is the mix. I played it first via a decent hi-fi and in 2 channel the drums on a few tracks seem to be a bit drowned out, on others the sound is bass end heavy although not that bad that I found it too much. When I tried it on my cinema system it was still the same although at least the sub could be altered to a degree.

None of it is a big deal but with the picture quality and the content they could have had a reference quality music disc on their hands with this. Even as it is it's still a teriffic disc.

AOC E2752VQ 27 inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (5:4, VGA, DVI, DP, USB 2.0, Switch, i-Menu, e-Saver, VESA, 1920x1080, 2ms, HDMI)
Price: 178.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Was doubtful, but shouldn't have been., 20 Nov 2013
After reading these reviews and a few on-line comparisons I thought can a 27" monitor at this price be this good, and the answer is yes. OK it does have a cheap stand, but once on it and tilted will it need anything more? It won't fall over so it's no big deal. The speakers are pants but how many people will use them. It's a smart monitor with a cracking display. Even out of the box with a few days to burn in it's decent. I've tweaked mine a bit, I found the settings mentioned here didn't look that good where mines placed.

I've gone from a 40" Toshiba TV that did make games look great, the downside was the screen was reflective, this makes them seem slightly dull but no need to worry about sunlight etc. I got fed up moving my head to focus on the whole screen. Fine from a distance but looking at the internet and typing on a desk within two feet was a joke, so this is way better. No flicker, no dead pixels and not too big. Unless you can find this monitor cheaper I doubt you'll do better for the price.

Vapor Trails (Remixed) [VINYL]
Vapor Trails (Remixed) [VINYL]
Price: 23.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought vinyl, can only play mp3. Thanks Amazon/Post Office., 28 Oct 2013
Wish it coluld be 0 but that would be wrong on the album.

Never liked Vapor Trails that much from day one as far as Rush albums go but from the autorip it sounds much better in places. When and if I get the vinyl I'll review my score.

I would have loved to hear the vinyl. First one turned up last week with another vinyl. both were in cardboard covers, both in a much bigger box that had nine sweatshirts so loads of protection. No damage to outer box, no damage to album boxes, first Marillion album fine, Vapor Trails looked bashed, removed plastic film and cover badly mangled, so damaged before it was packed. Back it goes, replacement sent, arrived this morning in cardboard sleeve and it looks like it's been driven over. Took it out and I can see the damage without removing plastic.

I've bought loads of vinyl from Amazon and this is the first time I've ever had any problems. That said why did the record company choose to squash a double album into a thin single sleeve?

Third time lucky or I get a refund.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5