Profile for Johan Badenhorst > Reviews

Infidel: The Story of My Enlightenment
Infidel: The Story of My Enlightenment
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Information, 15 Sep 2014
The only reason for my giving it four and not five stars is that it develops rather slowly with too much deviation and detail. On the other hand, the details are interesting, giving a good insight into a life or a world alien to most modern Westerners. I would give ten stars for her integrity, perseverance and character. In spite of all of the detail of extended family members and detail of clan and culture, I nevertheless did not skip ahead. I read every single word and I highly recommend it!

Adultery
Adultery
Price: 4.72

2.0 out of 5 stars I found the main character unconvincing. The reasons for ..., 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Adultery (Kindle Edition)
I found the main character unconvincing. The reasons for her illicit affair were rather weak in my opinion and so was the eventual relationship. It was al a bit flat and two-dimensional. It was my first read of this author, but I expected more. The simple title promises much, but it is a bit weak. Could've been sizzling. Just my opinion at the moment.

The Bible: The Biography (BOOKS THAT SHOOK THE WORLD)
The Bible: The Biography (BOOKS THAT SHOOK THE WORLD)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction, 28 Feb 2014
This is a very good introduction to the Bible. It looks at the history of the different texts, how they were composed and how they slowly but surely became part of the Hebrew Scriptures and later, the Christian Bible. It treats both scholarship and tradition with respect. Although the author's view is on the Christian scriptures, she also treats the connection with other religions with equal respect.

The Ego Trick
The Ego Trick
Price: 4.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched, Well written, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Ego Trick (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. It is a difficult subject which stretches across several disciplines and traditions and the author has succeeded in bringing the most important people and points together. He pays attention to the common sense view about the self, what it feels like to be oneself. He looks at the traditional Christian view of the soul, as well as the Buddhist views. He also presents arguments and views from the history of ideas, from philosophy of mind. But then he also looks at psychology and brain science. He does not merely consult the literature, but has corresponded and/or interviewed many prominent scholars and not only those with whom he might agree. The book does provide an answer and does not just present competing viewpoints, but the answer does not close the conversation. In fact, it opens many future possibilities for thought and research. He provides a good bibliography to support his research and provides opportunity for further reading. The author makes it clear that the view of the self as an inner essence, or a soul within the body (the pearl view), is not persuasive anymore. The current view of the self as a combination, a construction is favoured, the so-called bundle view. I strongly recommend it as an introduction.