ARRAY(0xb514396c)

In God We Doubt: Confessions of a Failed Atheist
by John Humphrys
Price: 17.32

1.0 out of 5 stars Total disappointment, 5 Sep 2011
[Groan] I enjoy Humphrys' radio interviews, so I had expected to enjoy this book too. Couldn't have been more wrong, and here's why:

1 - Humphrys' understanding of the topic is so primitive. He hasn't thought about the issues at hand any more than I have. All he's saying in the whole book is that on the one hand there's no proof God exists, but on the other we have to remember there are lots of smart people who believe he does. I already knew that, as does every schoolchild in the land. What on earth makes Humphrys think his meanderings on the subject are more worthy of publication than anyone else's? The fact that he's a big radio star?

2 - Humphrys' writing style is maddening. The prose is full of illogical sentences and non sequiturs. The worst thing about it is his (failed) attempts to be funny. He endelssly makes the same type of joke, two or three times per page.

3 - It's clear from this book that Humphrys is a paragon of political correctness (or at least pretends to be). This makes him come over as insincere, not to mention predictable and boring.

4 - I'm basically in the same place as Humphrys in that I'm an agnostic who has no axe to grind but would like to know more, and I thought most of the questions he asks in the book are reasonable, if a bit obvious. But the way he deals with the questions is superficial and shallow, and contains no smooth train of thought. He repeatedly raises a question, puts forward an opinionated or dim-witted or highly controversial conclusion, apparently considering it unarguable, and then proceeds on that basis, unaware he hasn't carried you with him. By the time that's happened five times in a chapter, it has you thinking you could write a better book standing on your head.

This has to be a candidate for the worst book I've ever read (it's certainly the first time I've ever felt motivated enough to write a review of a book on Amazon!).