Profile for Historyisbunk > Reviews

Birdsong (Vintage War)
by Sebastian Faulks
Price: 6.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, slow paced, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Birdsong (Vintage War) (Paperback)
In many ways this is a beautiful book. The prose is elegant and at times genuinely touching. The pace of the novel is incredibly slow at times though and the war sometimes seems almost incidental.I was a little incredulous that the main character didn't seem to be reacting to his environment as you might expect, consumed instead with his liaison. I recently read another book, Wings of Contrition, which I think is in the same ballpark as this book but is much stronger on the war itself. Less of a backdrop, more of an all consuming environment. I'd recommend that ahead of this one to be honest.

Aces High [DVD] [1976]
Aces High [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell
Price: 7.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving but flawed, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Aces High [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
The early scenes of this film are brilliant. It counterpoises the public school experience with the reality of the air war perfectly and the action sequences are tremendous. However, around half way through, it starts to lose its way a little. The fraying nerves are all very well but they marred some of the best bits of the film - the flight sequences! Its a shame really as the film had real potential. I got interested in this period through reading the excellent novel "Wings of Contrition" and I though this might be close to a film version of that book. Sadly though, it didn't quite get there.

Wings - The Complete BBC Box Set [DVD] [1977]
Wings - The Complete BBC Box Set [DVD] [1977]
Dvd ~ Michael Cochrane
Price: 28.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 July 2013
I'm not old enough to remember this show but I have to say it was excellent. OK, so visually it isn't up to HD quality of anything and some of the sets look a little shonky but the story line is excellent, the characters really well drawn and the action sequences absolutely brilliant. I think they used rebuilds of the original planes and it is fascinating to see them wobbling about the skies. The only problem is that the ending, when it comes, seems too sudden. I suspect the show was cancelled and they had to rush to finish the story but after watching 15 hours or so, I'd have hoped for something more satisfying. I came to this after reading the excellent "Wings of Contrition" which shares a lot in common with some of the themes in this drama. If you like this, try the book as it allows for a bit more detail than is possible in a TV show. Overall though - Wings is great, good clean fun - with the odd shock along the way. And I love Triggers!

Wings Over Summer
Wings Over Summer
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 3 July 2013
This review is from: Wings Over Summer (Kindle Edition)
This is a really good tale and is solidly written. The flight scenes are excellent and it is clear that the author really knows his stuff. The problem is that the product description on here tells you the fate of one of the characters! Talk about spoilers. I've read a spate of aeronautical stuff recently - fiction and history. This is probably my second favorite, after the excellent Wings of contrition.

Wings: The RAF at War, 1912-2012
Wings: The RAF at War, 1912-2012
Price: 4.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one volume history, 3 July 2013
I recently read a fictional account of the early years of the RFC/ RAF - Wings of contrition which was a brilliant introduction to the world of early flight. I found this book because I wanted to fill in the gaps in my knowledge and it didn't disappoint. It is engaging, not overly technical and sometimes really gripping. My only gripe is that it probably tries to do too much - 100 years is just too much to fit into one volume and some details are necessarily a bit glossed over. Its a small thing though and overall, this is an excellent history.

Winged Victory
Winged Victory
Price: 4.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Real, gritty take on the first air war, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Winged Victory (Kindle Edition)
This is a tremendous book. The author is the real thing, a pilot from the first world war and it shows in the detail and the language used by the characters. The plot is substantial but it is the action that really drives the pace. If I had one criticism it is that the book is very heavily dialogue driven, sometimes making it feel too hectic and difficult to work out who is saying what. The flying sequences are second to none though. I read this and a modern novel, wings of contrition, on holiday recently and I have to say they are both up there with my favourite historical novels. This one is the original though!

The Larks
The Larks
Price: 2.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent historical novel but there are better, 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Larks (Kindle Edition)
This is well written and sufficiently detailed for any enthusiast for the period. The formatting on the kindle version let it down a bit but unlike some commentators I find the ending apt. Overall though, I think another recent first air war novel "Wings of Contrition" has the edge, mainly because the overall plot was stronger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 7:03 AM BST

Firetrap Threes Men's Socks Coal One Size
Firetrap Threes Men's Socks Coal One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 14 Mar 2013
I'm not sure whether I got these on a special offer or not but they were incredible value - around 6 quid for three. They carry the Firetrap logo and are really nice socks. Grab them while you can...

Oiler + Boiler Nantucket 2 pk Without Fly Men's Boxers White/Navy Small
Oiler + Boiler Nantucket 2 pk Without Fly Men's Boxers White/Navy Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 14 Mar 2013
These were tremendous value and it is a very good quality product. I'd certainly recommend them to anyone looking to restock their underwear draw.

ROCKET DOG SLOPE LADIES SUEDE LEATHER MID-CALF ZIP BOOTS - CHESTNUT (7)
ROCKET DOG SLOPE LADIES SUEDE LEATHER MID-CALF ZIP BOOTS - CHESTNUT (7)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Dec 2012
This arrived on time and I got a courtesy call to check as well. The boots are great quality and fantastic value.

Page: 1 | 2