Profile for Seren Matthews > Reviews

Content by Seren Matthews

Seren Matthews "Seren" (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Disrupted: Ludicrous Misadventures in the Tech Start-up Bubble
Disrupted: Ludicrous Misadventures in the Tech Start-up Bubble

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down - great read, 26 Jun. 2016
Couldn't put it down. I work in tech myself and never really considered how ageist it might be. A great antidote if you're sick and cynical of astroturf and beanbags and forced 'culture'. Food for thought about the way in which Silicon Valley is funded and the looming tech bubble. I loved how refreshingly honest the book felt.

In the Mood for Healthy Food: Recipes for The Whole Family
In the Mood for Healthy Food: Recipes for The Whole Family
by Jo Pratt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a health cookbook, 4 Dec. 2015
Not exactly a health cookbook. The recipes were very standard (lots of stir fries and salads) and most contained some sort of grain - rice, noodles, flour, cous cous etc. Grains leave me with digestive issues and aren't great for losing weight. Also a surprising amount of recipes contained sugar in varying forms! I lost my confidence in her nutritional abilities when a recipe was introduced as "you'll feel energised from the natural glucose in this recipe" - it had 1 and 1/2 cups of dates. Thats like saying have a can of cola for dinner, it will leave you feeling energised - doesn't matter if its natural or not it's still processed the same way in the body!

Fitness Gourmet: Delicious recipes for peak performance, at any level. (Soulmate Food)
by Christian Coates

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but I have better, 4 Dec. 2015
It's okay as a book but I have better which is why i'm sending it back, I prefer Get the Glow for healthy eating.

The good - I really like that each recipe contains modifications whether you want to lose, maintain or bulk, very clever!

The bad - I think this book is very american in the recipes, not really for my palete, I didn't see many recipes that I'd want to cook.

Bobble BPA-Free 550 ml Water Bottle, Magenta
Bobble BPA-Free 550 ml Water Bottle, Magenta

1.0 out of 5 stars This bottle makes me angry, 30 Nov. 2015
This bottle makes me angry, it gives me bottle rage, I never know that was a thing you could have. The bottle has one purpose and does not do it well. The nossle is difficult to pull up, I have bite marks around mine. When you finish drinking it does this awful death sigh, or high pitched squeak, audible enough that I have to apologize to alarmed co-workers on a regular basis. It's embarrassing, I'm embarrassed and I hope that whoever designed this is embarrassed. I've had this for a few months, and have just got angry enough to post a review, I really miss my old bottle :'(

Get The Glow: Delicious and Easy Recipes That Will Nourish You from the Inside Out
by Madeleine Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, if you struggle with cooking healthy on work days, buy this!, 5 Nov. 2015
I was fully prepared to hate this book, as one of those impractical - everything takes hours, everything has to be spiraled or raw with chia seeds and raw chocolate that tastes of dirt and costs the earth. I expected it to be full or rabbit food and hipster concoctions drinking everything out of a mason jar. Don't get me wrong, I like drinking out of a mason jar and my inner hipster was the one that clicked the buy it now button. I am so impressed with this book. I have cooked with it ever since I bought it. Everything tastes great and has been easy to prepare, great for work night meals and is healthy. I have the chicken, orange and fennel dinner in the oven right now. I already know what I *should* be eating, but it's a real struggle figuring out what to eat on work nights, especially things that I won't feel too lazy to make after a full day at work and a commute home. Also, if I didn't already have good skin, I would fully expect to "get the glow", everything seems very healthy.

UPDATE : The chicken, fennel and orange dish was really tasty! It was so pretty and easy. I would probably serve it up as a dinner party :)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body
by Michael Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but struggling to understand and meet the nutritional guides, 17 Sept. 2015
I read it from cover to cover in two days, it definitely motivated me and I bought all the equipment and started straight away. But a few days in, I started feeling confused- mainly regarding the nutrition side.

I couldn't make my macro nutrients fit the recommended and low fat just felt wrong. I read through the reviews here and saw that another lady was also concerned and Mike had replied saying that 40/30/30 was okay too. I'm concerned becuase low fat has been connected with depression and other congative issues. I'm also having trouble sticking to it, eggs are known for being really healthy, but if I have two eggs for breakfast, it doesn't leave enough fat in the day for my other two meals. It means eating chicken breast 3x a day all the time. I'm also really struggling to meet the protein requirment - according to the calculation I need 175g, but even having 3 - 4 protein shakes I still don't make that amount. Having 3 - 4 shakes a day makes me feel constantly full of liquid too! Maybe I'm not having enough meat at dinner and lunch, but I think thats becuase I'm trying to match the fat requirment. The book says that a calorie is just a calorie, but then doesn't explain why the macronutrient ratio was recommended at that particular ratio. I'd really like to know why, and if I can change the carbs and fat ratios to suit as I've been used to a paleo style diet for a few years and don't eat grains as recommended by my nutritionist. Because of the restriction on fat, and my restriction on certain kinds of carb it means that I'm underhitting the calorie requirment each day, which the book says is bad. So I'm a bit stuck. Mike if you still read reviews - I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.

I bought the work out book as well as this and I'd say its well worth the money, I like having a written out plan and had originally been taking notes with the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2015 7:28 PM BST

De-Stress Effect, The: Rebalance Your Body's Systems For Vibrant Health And Happiness
by Charlotte Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm starting to feel like "chilled" is an achievable way of being, 22 April 2015
Great book, really well researched, I read from cover to cover. I had to fully buy into it, and I started following the advice slowly at first but I was at my ends limit, I felt like I would do anything to stop feeling the way I did. I'd created my own personal hell hole internally. I had upset stomach, migraines, poor sleep, constant feeling of adrenaline in my belly. Two months later and I don't have the adrenaline, I'm eating way better, I have more energy throughout the day. I'm starting to feel like "chilled" is an achievable way of being and have revamped my life and career as a result. Thankyou!

Play for Scala: Covers Play 2
Play for Scala: Covers Play 2
by Peter Hilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Tough going initially but mellows, 28 Sept. 2014
Extremely difficult going for the first two chapters, I nearly gave up. When you get to the end of the chapter, if you can't compile because of flash - see this Stack overflow question to fix, its related to the version http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25218039/flash-not-found-in-products-scala/25218652#comment40874387_25218652. Once you get to the third chapter the book slows down and starts to cover things slowly and in more details.

Homescapes Hypo-Allergenic/Dust Mite-Proof/Waterproof Fully Fitted Duvet Cover Protector, White, Super King Size
Offered by HOMESCAPES

1.0 out of 5 stars Really plasticy, 21 Sept. 2014
Really plasticy, I wanted something that would protect the duvet from dust mites, this feels like something you give to kids to stop them wetting the bed. I've thrown it away :(

The Extra Virgin Kitchen
The Extra Virgin Kitchen
by Susan Jane White

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New Here, Good for "Health Noobs", 2 Mar. 2014
I was quite excited about this book at pre-ordered it. Sadly I'm not overly impressed. If you are celiac or wheat intolerant or avoiding grains this is not the book for you.

The breakfast section is what I would call "health junk foods", different ways of making carb-y, bread-y things for breakfast. The book boasts the absence of unrefined sugars, but it makes up for that using dates, maple syrup and agave syrup. They may have a lower GI than refined table sugar, but it's still sugar to your body; its processed in the same way. The flapjacks, power balls etc, may make a nice treat, but I wouldn't recommend any of these items as a daily breakfast go-to. A lot of the recipes contain flour in some form, usually rye flour, she does suggest using coconut flour for gluten free (however the price of that stuff is horrific and I have never found a good way to use it, it makes your tongue furry!). Overall there's nothing new here that you can't find on the internet already, you can find tons of 'healthy' flapjack, powerball, granola and muesli recipes online.

Snacks - roasted nuts, dehydrated kale, more cookies and bombs & balls. It includes recipes for a load of nut spreads, which may have been interesting if I ate bread or grains. Since I eat a completely grain free diet I have nothing to use spreads.

The soup section is slightly better - its hard to go wrong here. Nothing particularly innovative and I have much better books for making a good soup. I was surprised that she discussed the health benefits of miso, yet asks that you pour boiling water over it - this would surely kill off all the gut friendly bacteria.

Salads - Again not particularly healthy, most recipes have dried fruit in (full of sugar) or sweetener of some kind, the recipes are quite basic but may be good for someone who doesn't know how to cook. There's a distinct lack of protein, or meat of any kind, I doubt these salads would keep you going very long. Perhaps good as a side salad, but I wouldn't make a habit of eating fruit every day, especially in the winter or if you are trying to lose weight.

Main meals - Slightly better, but I think only two recipes have meat! On the recipes that do have meat we have a chiding about how it is bad for you, of course there are no citations here. Having been vegan for several years myself and researched extensively on the subject I would take this advise with a pinch of salt and do your own well sourced research here to make your own decision.

Summary-
Too much sugar and sugary fruit in this book. The book is pretty much vegan - I would definitely recommend to vegans. Very disappointing if you are a meat eater or paleo inclined, in fact she actively discourages meat. At least the meat is saved by the use of healthy fats and I think you could probably lose weight following this book if you cut out the sugars and fruits. The recipes are very basic, a few ingredients (however not suitable if you don't have access to a health food store), good for people who are starting out, bad for people who already eat healthy and know how to cook but are looking for inspiration.

Too carb-y and grain-y for me to be able to eat this stuff (not celiac friendly). Great for people in the transition stage (trying to give up refined foods, bread, wheat etc) and craves that crunch or bready feeling as it has lots of mock pasta, breads etc.

Since I already eat healthy and can cook, I did not find anything new here or inspiring and will be returning the book. As previously mentioned the book is probably a useful resource for people at different stages or transitions in their diets hence 3 stars.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 1:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2