Profile for Essex Girl > Reviews

Content by Essex Girl

Essex Girl "essexsim"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
ByteStor Pro 16GB 40Mbps Class 10 High Speed Micro SDHC UHS-1 Card with SDHC Card Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this as you always need Micro SD/SD cards these days, whether as back up or to transfer music or photos between devices.

Packaging is minimal and 'green' which is great but doesn't give a secure storage for the card/adaptor when not in use. The cheaper Kingston card I bought a week prior was encased in reusable plastic so I can both see and protect the card. This one is just in a small 'envelope' that is not secure. Whilst it is a tight fit, so unlikely to fall out, I prefer the less-green but reusable and more useful plastic holder.

My phone (Xperia Z3) takes the Micro SD so to transfer pictures to it, I used the adaptor in my laptop. I didn't get anywhere near the advertised 40 MB/s rate. I don't think it went over 10 MB/s. This isn't a huge problem for me as I don't have the need to transfer a huge amount of files on a regular basis, so for my occasional use the card is fine. The micro version worked fine in my phone and with the adaptor worked in my camera, digital photo frame and laptop. For some bizarre reason the card would not work in conjunction with my USB Bytestore card reader (although other cards work with it fine), so if you have a device that is USB dependent (my older Surface tablet) then this may not be the right product for you. (I also tried the USB reader in my laptop and it didn't work with that either so it is not the device).

Obviously time will tell with durability but in summary it is a reasonable card but beware you may not get advertised transfer times, nor may it be compatible with USB card readers. I may not buy this again, if I can get a comparable Sandisk or Kingston for less.

Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm Stain - Elusive
Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm Stain - Elusive

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lasting colour, can survive eating and drinking and ..., 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely lasting colour, can survive eating and drinking and keeps lips well moisturised - longer than some dedicated balms. Was very impeseed and would consider buying in other colours as a reasonable price too.

Sony Executive Flip Book Case Cover with Credit Card Slot for Xperia Z3 Compact by Made for Xperia - Carbon Fibre Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Phone cover, 16 Feb. 2015
Item as described - neat and compact and works well with my Z3 compact. Delivery prompt and sufficiently packaged.

Kipling New Raisin True Blue Shoulder Bag
Kipling New Raisin True Blue Shoulder Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as roomy as dimensions had me believe, 19 Dec. 2014
Although I checked the advertised dimensions, the bag didn't fit everything in it that I needed.

The Third Wife
The Third Wife
by Lisa Jewell

4.0 out of 5 stars Three is a crowd?, 22 July 2014
This review is from: The Third Wife (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Previously I had only read one Lisa Jewell book (Ralph’s Party) and found it pure (but enjoyable) chick lit. Now it appears that Jewell has grown up, not just in writing style but in characters, as the key people are in their thirties and forties, with children. Maya is Adrian’s third wife and the family are all close and often spend time together. Maya feels a bit like a spare wheel, and is wondering if she has done the right thing.

Adrian seems oblivious to all this and is shocked when Maya is killed by a bus whilst out drunk and alone – was she trying to kill herself? Was she pushed or was it an accident?

I enjoyed the read, and was always happy to pick the book up. I feel that it would be good for a long journey or holiday as it is easy to get into and follow, but not complicated to follow. Saying that it didn’t blow me away, and didn’t stay with me after it had finished, as some books do.

Northanger Abbey
Northanger Abbey
by Val McDermid

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Abbey, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Northanger Abbey (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The original novel was probably my least favourite of the original full Austen novels, and I was unsure how this book would go. I was pleasantly surprised. I like how Val McDermid brought social networking into a novel where misunderstandings and miscommunication often occur. Cat Moreland is still naïve, but she is young and we are happy to indulger her.

The original cast are also (for the most part) quite happy in their new surroundings of 21st century Edinburgh during the festival, rather than early nineteenth century Bath. I struggled slightly with the imposing General Tilney, who seemed too old-fashioned and out of touch for modern Britain.

Cat Moreland is just a teenager, with teenage issues and interests, and the new setting could make those teenage issues seem more relatable to a new, younger reader. The themes are, after all, the same. It’s just that they didn’t have Facebook in the early nineteenth century. I like how McDermid tackled these new problems whilst still keeping to the original premise of the book and still coming out with an enjoyable read.

Girl With a Pearl Earring
Girl With a Pearl Earring

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Read, 30 Oct. 2013
I don't give many books five stars, but I loved the themes in the book and found it easy to read and get into (but by no means is dumbed down or low-brow). The characters were interesting, and our protagonist likeable yet flawed.

The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection
The Best of Rose Elliot: The Ultimate Vegetarian Collection
by Rose Elliot

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything to Everybody, 16 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It has occurred to me that this book is trying a bit too hard to be everything to everybody. The chapters are very diverse, I think people who regularly cater for friends and family may already have a book dedicated to those sorts of dishes and not need this section (Dinners to Impress and Parties & Celebrations) or only use this and not the other chapters. It seems too different from the other side of the book with topics such as Midweek Meals and Classics With a Twist which are the parts I have used. I guess if this is the Best of... or Ultimate Cookbook then all these need to be represented but are unlikely to be used by me.

I have had some success with the dishes - the instructions are clear ad timings accurate - but find that there are sometimes too many ingredients and it works out expensive to shop and make something simple like a Pad Thai or a Stroganoff, thus I have not used this book as much as I expected.

The book is a lovely, sturdy colour hard back, but I would prefer a picture for every recipe, especially the more complicated ones (I know what a risotto or a tofu stir-fry should look like) but the ones in the book are excellent.

The Sea Change
The Sea Change

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 22 July 2013
This review is from: The Sea Change (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this book and was very pleased with it. It is easy to get into and the story is original. I couldn't decide whether I enjoyed the strand set in India or the one set in Wiltshire more, and I think this is a credit to the author and how well she drew her characters and created their worlds. I think this book stands the test of time and coudl easily be re-read, where you will find that you have picked up something different the next time round.

Surface For Dummies
Surface For Dummies
by Andy Rathbone

4.0 out of 5 stars Surface Explained, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Surface For Dummies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For much of the time I found my Microsoft Surface easy and intuitive to use, but as it was my first tablet, there were a few things I got a bit stuck on, and this is where this book came in useful. There is a section on choosing the best Surface for you (RT edition vs Pro) but as I had already made my purchase I didn't need that part. I have also learnt a few tips and tricks by just picking up the book and browsing it. If you own the device (or are seriously considering purchasing one) then I can recommend this book as I think even the most competent tablet users will find something that they didn't know in the book, and for us `regular' people, we can answer those questions that we have come stuck on and really get the most out of our piece of equipment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12