Profile for AngelicOne > Reviews

Content by AngelicOne

AngelicOne (London, UK)

Gordon Ramsay's World Kitchen: Recipes from "The F Word"
Gordon Ramsay's World Kitchen: Recipes from "The F Word"
by Gordon Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A great range of food for all occasions, 8 Dec 2009
As a big fan of Thai, Indian, Chinese and French food, I find this cookbook indispensable and use it regularly for weekday meals, as well as for entertaining friends at weekends. The book has also successfully tempted me to try out dishes that would not usually appeal, such as Spanakopita or Squid stuffed with tomato and herb rice from the Greek Chapter, or Baba Ganoush and Dolmades from the Middle Eastern section, which are truly delicious crowd-pleasers.

Feed Me Now
Feed Me Now
by Bill Granger
Price: 20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive simple meals pronto, 7 April 2009
This review is from: Feed Me Now (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of straightforward, everyday meal cook books, so this was definitley my cup of tea! It gives great suggestions for any meal occasion; family meals, entertaining friends, healthy breakfasts, sustaining lunches, and also includes an 'on a shoestring' chapter, proving watching your pennies doesn't have to mean eating baked beans on toast everynight, especially when you have options like Beef Pot Pie, Pork with Mustard, Celeriac and Prunes, or Sticky Five Spice Ribs. Delicious!

Urban Eco Chic
Urban Eco Chic
by Oliver Heath
Price: 17.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recommendation from industry expert, 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: Urban Eco Chic (Hardcover)
Whereas most of my large collection of Ecological books stay on the shelf within arm's length and more frequently referred to books come closer, others gradually move towards the back row and eventually to the archive, I can confirm that this book has found its way on to my desk where I can get at it all the time.
The book structure and format is so right: small nuggets of information, delivered by graphically coded topic bullet points, it's so accessible. I am recommending it to interior design and furniture design students. The scope of coverage is very broad from building/finishing materials through to household goods and appliances which ensure your readers get something to think about every time they consider any household purchase.
I am inspired by the pictures thinking about a much needed garden office and thinking about dismantling pallets for book shelving. Long may it stay on my desk.

Cooking Lessons
Cooking Lessons
by Daisy Garnett
Price: 10.27

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and inspiring cookery title, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Cooking Lessons (Hardcover)
I received this book as a gift, and also as a cheeky hint that I could improve my culinary skills if I really wanted to! It has surprisingly encouraged my desire to cook something to be shared and be proud of, and I loved that it was a combination of travel writing, memoir and recipes all entwined in one narrative. Both engaging and entertaining, and easy to follow whilst cooking.

Make
Make
by Cath Kidston
Price: 11.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the credit crunch!, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Make (Paperback)
I am a huge Cath Kidston enthusiast, so I jumped at the opportunity to get this book and make my own projects using Cath's own motifs, and with 16 motifs and 30 projects to choose, and a free tote bag to get started, I thought this was a pretty good deal.
The book is suitable for both beginner and the semi-pro crafters and includes a section at the back of basic sewing tips and techniques. With the current mood for make-do-and-mend, I think some personalised projects with the aid of this book would make good christmas presents on a budget.

Anjum's New Indian
Anjum's New Indian
by Anjum Anand

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook for Light, Modern Indian Meals, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Anjum's New Indian (Hardcover)
I found Anjum's latest cookbook a refreshingly light, modern take on Indian cuisine, with a fantastic selection of indian light meals and snacks, such as the Spongy Lentil Cake or Goan Chorizo Sandwich, and adapted Anglo-Indian treats like Indian Shepherd's Pie and Spicy Keralan Mash. Unlike some Indian cookbooks, that can focus too much on just curry's, this book offers stews, sundal's and a plethora of fish, chicken, meat, vergetables, beans and lentils and rice suggestions. Her tips and information on the cooking in different regions of India complimented the contents well. I can't wait for her new TV series!

The Angel Almanac
The Angel Almanac
by Angela McGerr

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed cynic, 2 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Angel Almanac (Hardcover)
My friend, who is very much into all things Angel related, was given this book as a gift. I am quite cynical about such ideas, but after having perusing through thsi book, I felt compelled to read it in full, which I did after she had finished it.

The book is divided into chapters on the changing energy of the solar and lunar cycles, with appropriate angels to call on and work with at different times, the second part, working with your Guardian Angels, covers the angel rulers of the days of the week (including how to find your birthday angel), the Zodiac angels for each month and the 72 Quinary angels of the Heavens. Part three deals with healing, using sacred geometry, colour healing, angel alphabets and numerology. The appendix includes an A-Z of over 200 angels and their guardianships.

As a novice to these topics I found the book absorbing, and my friend , who is more knowledgeable with angel affairs, found it enriching. It was also a bonus to receive a free CD with angelic meditations to aid life balance and inner peace. The Angel's Almanac was an ideal gift for the pair of us, and I am now determined to read Angela McGerr's other angel titles. Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2010 3:43 PM BST