Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard "Chappo" (Rochester NY, USA)

Pathe Collection -A Year To Remember - The 1980s [DVD]
Pathe Collection -A Year To Remember - The 1980s [DVD]
Price: 24.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 26 Aug 2013
These DVDS are a pretty "no frills" look at the 80's. I agree with the earlier review which said that the picture quality is not the best and that it appears that the footage is taken from a tape compilation source (the narration at the end of each disc does refer to "a series of videocassettes" - so it looks like this is indeed the case). Having said that, the footage on offer is rather interesting as it does tend to look at all aspects of the decade and not just the usual cliched 80's events (although these are included too). So there are a lot of international political events covered, as well as domestic (UK) industrial crises and politics - many of which I'd forgotten about. This is not a complilation to watch for a night of warm 80's nostalgia but more for an overview of the social and political climate of the time.
I do intend to buy some of the other DVDs in the series as I think they are good value for money if you are interested in this kind of thing.

Rent [DVD] [2006]
Rent [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Rosario Dawson
Price: 4.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful., 30 Nov 2006
This review is from: Rent [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I have seen, and enjoyed, the stage version of Rent three times. But this movie version really has put me off the whole thing. The characters are immediately two dimensional and unlikeable and it's hard to find sympathy with any off them. They all just come across as lazy, whiny people whos misery is mostly self inflicted. Because of this movie I will not be going to see the stage version again because it has taken all the drama and magic out of the story.

The Space Within Us (Live In The U.S) [DVD] [2006]
The Space Within Us (Live In The U.S) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Paul Mccartney
Price: 11.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Two and a half stars., 15 Nov 2006
If you've already got the last two Paul McCartney "concert films" (Back In The US and Red Square) then there is really nothing different here. Obviously Paul is a great performer, great songwriter and his fans all adore him...we all know this by now. I just wish that Paul would let the music do the talking these days and present a more straight ahead representation of the gigs. Instead the songs are again broken up by excessive crowd reaction shots and interviews. It is quite disorientating to watch with the many cutaways and not in a good way. I would have thought that having released 3 concert DVDs in the past 3 years that he would try a different approach this time. There is enough capacity on DVDs to present a straight concert and have the documentary aspects as extras. You could also have alternate camera angles, commentaries etc. But again we get the same kind of deal as before. I would sooner watch a bootleg DVD shot from the crowd as it has more of a raw live feel than what is on 'The Space Between Us'. I'm sure the 5.1 sound mix will sound great, but I have no means to play that yet.

I'm a big fan of Paul and hate to moan but I really think that an opportunity to change things up was missed here.

Instead of this it would have been nice to have an official DVD collection of Paul's promo videos in time for Christmas

Dirk Wears White Sox
Dirk Wears White Sox
Offered by musikdrehscheibe
Price: 34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Ants., 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Dirk Wears White Sox (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Adam & The Ants album and I am delighted that it finally got the remastered CD release that it deserved.
I have a battered copy of the original vinyl record and was a little dismayed when the previous CD release of 'Dirk..' had a different track listing and included different mixes of the tracks.
This release fixes all those gripes and it sounds wonderful, the packaging is fantastic too. Kudos to all involved. This is the way all resissues should be handled!
I love the whole album. It still sounds fresh to this day. The songs have a slightly dark humour running through them, but the album manages to avoid being depressing.
The thing that made the Ants stand out among a lot of the other "punk" (for want of a better word) acts around at the time was that they could actually play their instruments. This is evident all the way through and in my mind this is the best ever line up of the Ants.

Liverpool
Liverpool
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Frankie's swansong., 8 Jan 2004
This review is from: Liverpool (Audio CD)
The often ignored second and last FGTH album.
More of a straightforward album than "Pleasuredome" it delivers eight infectious rock/funk/disco tracks. Recorded at a time when the band were split in terms of musical ambition (Holly wanting more of a disco sound, The Lads wanting a rockier sound) the songs hold together surprisingly well and have a style of their own.
Some classics here : "Rage Hard", "Warriors Of The Wasteland" and the under-rated "Watching The Wildlife". The highlight for me has to be the beautiful closer "Is There Anyone Out There?"
a fitting swangsong from a much missed band.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2011 10:52 AM GMT

Billy Connolly: Live At The Hammermith Odeon [VHS]
Billy Connolly: Live At The Hammermith Odeon [VHS]
VHS
Offered by londonstorehouse
Price: 12.80

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious !, 24 July 2003
This is my favourite of all the Billy Connolly videos I have seen so far. Billy covers a multitude of topics from dogs to diahorrea with his usual spot on obsevations and anecdotes.
Sure he swears a lot during his shows but he never uses this profanity for a cheap laugh or to be crude (although he does cover what some may see as taboo subjects)
I've watched this video many times over and I always find myself crying with laughter, especially at the part where Billy describes a rather unfortunate incident that happened while on holiday in Spain!!!
Excellent stuff from Billy...highly recommended!!

Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] [1983]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Jimmy Nail
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Second dose of great comedy, 22 July 2003
This nice little box contains 4 DVDs containing the whole second series of AufPet. Once again we are with the "Magnificent Seven" as they work together to scratch a living. This time the series is based firstly in Derbyshire and then the action moves to Spain. In my opinion this series is just as funny as the first, if not better. The humour is still the same with all the characters retaining their funny aspects from series one. This time around there are a lot more extra characters that have more of a bearing on the storyline...but these enhance the episodes rather than dilute the humour.
The DVD's themselves are great..picture quality and sound are very good. The extras are a little thin but the set still represents good value. As with the series one set, the content is so good that you hardly feel the need for any extras.
I'm so glad to have this on my DVD shelf along with the series one set!

Billy Connolly: Two Night Stand 1997 [VHS]
Billy Connolly: Two Night Stand 1997 [VHS]
VHS
Offered by pkeylock
Price: 1.48

3.0 out of 5 stars funny...but not perhaps his best., 22 July 2003
This video is split into 2 shows one in London and the other in Glasgow. Both shows run about 45 mins each.
While both shows have their very funny moments I feel that each segment is over before Billy really gets "warmed up". I personally would have preferred just the one full show from one venue.
Having said that, I can't possibly watch Billy Connolly without rolling around on the floor in hysterics at least once, and I did do that while watching this video. Definitley worth buying if you're a fan.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet - The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [1983]
Auf Wiedersehen Pet - The Complete Series 1 [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Timothy Spall
Price: 12.25

5.0 out of 5 stars That's living alright !, 2 July 2003
I was so glad to get this series on DVD! I was probably a bit too young to appreciate all of the humour when it was aired the first time around but I always loved the characters...and it is the characterisation that makes AufPet such a great comedy.
Although the action is set mainly in Germany the series still serves as a reminder of what the 80's and the Thatcher era were like in the UK. The desperate situation the gang are in and how they are penny pinching and grafting to make some money to send home to their families is a reflection of the time of high unemployment. Although it is a bad situation there are plenty of laughs as the lads try and live alongside each other and the Germans.
While re - watching these episodes recently I noticed that the comedy seems a bit slower paced that I originally remembered it. This is perhaps an indication of how more modern sitcoms try and cram in as many laughs as they can while sacrificing the storyline. The AufPet storylines never becomes boring, overworked or predictable but also they are never skipped over in search of a few cheap laughs.
OK so there are few extras on the discs which is slightly disappointing but the quality of the comedy is still enough to make this set a really worthwhile purchase. Brilliant stuff!

The League Of Gentlemen: Live At Drury Lane [DVD] [1999]
The League Of Gentlemen: Live At Drury Lane [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Corrie Greenop
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars great performance !, 27 Jun 2003
I saw the League Of Gentlemen tour at Nottingham Arena and while I was entertained that night I missed out on a lot of the visuals and subtleties of the comedy by sitting too far away from the stage. This DVD has let me re - live the performance and appreciate just how good the L.O.G are as comedy actors.
Each of the guys is just amazingly versatile in their range of characters and can easily switch from comedy to tragedy and everything inbetween. Highlights have already been mentioned by other reviewers but my personal favourite is Mark Gatiss as the depressed tour guide of the Stumphole Cavern...brilliant stuff!