Profile for Ms. Jerramy Fine > Reviews

Content by Ms. Jerramy Fine

Ms. Jerramy Fine (London)

The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Art of Racing in the Rain
by Garth Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read one book this year, make it this one., 21 Oct. 2009
I cannot remember a time when a book affected me so profoundly. The Art of Racing in the Rain is destined to be an inspirational classic - like the Alchemist (another favourite of mine) - only so much better. It's odd how a canine narrator can pierce the very depths of your soul - but perhaps it's because he was a dog and not a human that he was able to do so. This book is unbelievably clever, moving, witty, poignant and heartbreaking. I cried more than I ever cried reading any book - yet the tears were not out of sadness but because the story and its lessons were so beautiful. And so seeped in wisdom. Garth Stein is genius who has shown us all how much we can learn from our canine cousins.

The Post-Birthday World
The Post-Birthday World
by Lionel Shriver

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Reliable vs Mr. Exciting - a masterpiece, 22 Sept. 2009
As someone who has always wondered what life would be life if I had gone down a different path, this book was the perfect anedote. In fact, I plan to send a copy of this book to all my married friends. The characters are compelling, it's insanely clever in its literary execution and to be quite honest I loved every single word. The eternal theme of Mr.Reliable vs Mr. Exciting is explored in such a unique and revealing way that you come away realising that indeed no one is perfect, and all lives (and all paths in life) have tradeoffs - and yet, and this is the part that I love about the book, whatever path you have chosen (or not chosen) happiness is ALWAYS an option. This book is BETTER than "we need to talk about kevin" - because the themes are real; and the choices are relatable to every woman that hase ever loved or been loved.