Profile for Small Fry > Reviews

Content by Small Fry

Small Fry (Inbred, Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Electronic digital mains Timer Socket Plug-in with LCD Display 12/24 Hour 7 Days
Price: 5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for aquarium lights timing, 21 Sep 2011
I got this for my Aquarium to turn the light on and off, and I'm really impressed, there are plenty of ways of controlling the on / off times. such as:

On/off at the same time each day, different times for each individual day of the week, weekend, mon-fri, alternate days. so its really adaptable in its use. Each of these timed programs takes one of the 12 slots. Theres also a random timer that comes on and off at random intervals, so this could be used when you are on holiday to turn a lamp on at irregular intervals as an additional security measure. Making this a really useful gadget to keep your timed switching on and off of things in check.

The build is sturdy, and has multiple used beyond the aquarium, like bedside lights, electric blankets, household security and on, and on, and on.

It was noted by some that the instructions are in foreign languages, mine came with a set of full english only instructions.

For what it does I can't find any faults with this. 5*'s

Hama Bahia 64 CD/DVD Wallet - Blue
Hama Bahia 64 CD/DVD Wallet - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed..., 21 Sep 2011
I was keeping my Xbox games in a 16 disc wallet, but it was starting to overflow. So i got hold of one of these, Takes all of my games, and allows me to keep them a bit more organised, for example Kinect games at one end, COD discs in one place etc etc

Its well made, looks good, does everything you expect, and its really handy for the odd time when I take my Xbox with me on my travels.

Velcro VEL-EC60253 10mm x 5m Brand Reusable Ties - Black
Velcro VEL-EC60253 10mm x 5m Brand Reusable Ties - Black
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So many uses, so simple, 19 Sep 2011
I love this stuff. its a double sided velcro product, one side is hooks while the other side is loops. Simply its a non-sticky reusable tape, you can cut to the desired length. I've used it mainly for sorting out cables. My new TV stand looks neat, my Aquarium has hidden cabling (with a few choice plants), headphones are now tangle free when not being used, the dogs lead, laptops chargers, mobile phone chargers etc. etc. etc.

OK, so its mainly cables you'll use this for, but you get the idea.

In short its great to keep unruly cables in check highly reusable, and the fact that you can cut to length means this is a highly cost effective solution to cable management.

Ex-Pro OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug 2m
Ex-Pro OFC HQ RF TV Aerial Coaxial Lead Gold Male Plug To Plug 2m
Offered by Sivitec_Direct
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Using free view but missing channels? use one of these..., 19 Sep 2011
I'd been using a cheapo aerial lead to get the old analogue TV channels, no problems.

But along came the Digital switchover and some of my channels just would not show up. My signal was good, my aerial was fairly new, but nothing....

So after a little research I decided to upgrade my patch lead to this Pure lead. After a quick re-tune suddenly I had all the missing channels. The only difference was I'd changed the patch lead. A quick, cheap upgrade thats improved my overall picture quality, and restored the missing channels.

Good build quality, and really good performance. 5*'s

Simcity 4: Deluxe Edition (Mac)
Simcity 4: Deluxe Edition (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but not for lion! Damn you Apple, 16 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is less review, and more warning to those with newer systems...

I've played every version of this game, and was really happy to find it on Mac. But it had a few niggles, running on an Intel based Macbook. Namely its designed for older Mac's, and needed a kind of emulation software made by Apple called Rosetta. This was great when i first got going, until i moved onto super sized cities, when it would slow down quite a bit.

Moving on and upgrading I've changed from Snow Leopard to Lion, and guess what, Rosetta is no longer included in Lion, its not even a package thats out of date, its simply removed. The upshot of this is I can't run the game any more.

As for the game, its a true classic. Like most great games, the formula is simple, yet engrossing, and has a bonus that its simply never finished. Problem is to the casual observer, it seems almost boring, when you explain that you are having to adjust taxes, build improved road networks and hospitals to match local demand. Theres no real action to be found here, but if you're looking for a nice restful game, then this is the place to be. Honestly top marks for the game (if you can run it) its one of my all time favourites.

Kamikaze Gear Kinect Camera TV and Wall Mount (Xbox 360)
Kamikaze Gear Kinect Camera TV and Wall Mount (Xbox 360)
Offered by Eliware
Price: 11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tidy mount, 15 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ok, where to begin, I've recently upgraded to a cantilever type TV stand, so I wanted the kinect sensor to go on top of the TV. After a little reading round I opted for this mount. The official XBOX mount requires the mount to be screwed to the VESA mount screws, but as I say I've moved to a cantilever TV stand, so these holes are being used for the TV bracket. So I had to find an alternative, this looks great, takes the kinect camera securely, and fits my thicker samsung LCD TV a treat.

Assembly is about as simple as it gets: grab the mount, select the right back piece and slide onto the mount, fit the retainer clip and screw, fit to the TV, and tighten the screw, finish off by clicking your kinect sensor in place. Theres even a screwdriver included, so its everything in one box.

I like the fact that that this can also be a wall mount for the sensor, should you want this. The mount nicely matches the black plastic body of both the kinect sensor, and my TV, but mainly as I've already said, I like how secure the mount with camera fitted feels.

The only down side i found was the instructions were not ideal, but you hardly need to be a doctor of engineering to figure out how to assemble this. All in all a great product, and far more versatile than the genuine xbox mount.

Eddingtons EasiTwist Jar & Bottle Opener
Eddingtons EasiTwist Jar & Bottle Opener
Price: 5.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great opener, great design, works a treat, 24 April 2011
Love this, the grippy bit is made from a rubber like substance, that offers superior grip, yet will not scratch the jar lids. Use of the opener is simple, pop the appropriate sized aperture over the jar lid squeeze and twist. You are obviously limited in size of jar lid to an extent, but the biggest jar i have, is a big pickled onion jar which was no problem. I also like the way the rubber grippy bit pops off for easy cleaning.

For people with a weak grip (for example if you have arthritis or are getting old) may find this design to be a problem. However I think this may well be a problem with any design of opener, if you are suffering with such problems.

However this does the job a treat, and I'm really happy with it.

Kenwood KDC-6047U MP3 / CD Receiver with Rear AUX / USB-iPod / iPhone Direct Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stereo, has all the features i needed, 24 April 2011
When upgrading the stock head unit in my car, I wanted a couple of features that were a must:

I wanted a quality brand, no ripspeed or sendai garbage, and I was willing to pay a little extra to get it.

I wanted full head unit iPod/iPhone control using the 30pin dock connector (if you press the skip track button on the head unit whilst playing from the iPod, and the track skips, so youre not having to scrabble round to find the ipod to skip a track.) Plus the head unit should be able to display artist and track names when using an iPod using the 30 pin connector. (basically I didn't want to be using an aux in cable, or some other method thats a bit half arsed, and offers no control from the head unit)

I wanted cables to be routed from the rear of the head unit to the iPod, (so the iPod could be left in a glove box out of sight for security reasons and neatness of instalation).

On doing some research I initially looked at the new generation of "mechless" head units (essentially the head unit looses its CD drive, and becomes a Tuner and iPod control device) Alpine make some lovely units that were really tempting. But occasionally I still want to be able to play the odd CD, so I started to turn my attentions back to more traditional head units.

The biggest problem I found in choosing a unit, was finding one that didn't have the USB socket on the front face. My objections to front USB are as following: 1, it looks a mess having cables hanging out of the front of a head unit. 2, If you forget to remove the cables when you are in a rush, or being absent minded then they make it obvious to thieves that there may be goodies worth stealing in your car. 3, I can leave my old iPod nano connected permanently to the head unit allowing me to take my tunes with me.

So the only quality manufacturers I could find that have the rear USB combined with iPod control are some of the upper end units in the ranges by: Kenwood, Alpine and Clarion

Clarions are good units but currently to me at least, they look ugly.

Alpine were a possible contender, but personal preference, and previous good experiences meant I opted for a unit from the Kenwood range. Plus personally I liked the look of the Kenwood units more. Having seen first hand on a few friends head units how badly they all tend to handle bluetooth and calls I decided to opt for a non-bluetooth model. After that it was a choice of a couple of different models, and I preferred the clean look of this model over the others in the small pool of possibles. That was roughly my decision making process.

Fitting was no different to any other stereo these days. If you have a dash with a single din slot, and an ISO block harness, then the stereo will drop straight in, if anything varies from this then you'll need adaptors. As it turned out I needed a wiring harness adaptor, to convert to ISO block connectors. I'd done my homework, so had ordered an adaptor lead at the same time as the stereo. Which meant I was able to fit the stereo immediately, rather than waiting for the lead, or going down the cowboy route and hacking the loom of my car. The stereo is great, and worked first time, even integrating the dash lights dim when the side lights are turned on. Such was the seamless installation to my car. However its worth taking a bit of time to delve the menu's and get the head unit set up properly, to get the best out of this unit. It makes a great deal of difference, when it comes to the sound and user experience.

In the car the stereo looks great, not being too showy / boy racer / chav, whilst obviously not being the stock head unit. I like that the colours on the buttons and display can be easily altered to the colour you like. I opted to have the buttons Orange to match the rest of the dash, while having the display a contrasting blue for easy reading at night. The display has a programable element, allowing you to select exactly what information is displayed. So while using the tuner, you have your pick of the RDS data stream such as channel, DJ and radio text to choose from as well as frequency and time of day. While the iPod data steam will show track data such as track name, artist, album, time playing etc. Its nice to have the info I like displayed the way I like.

I was able to get to grips with the menu's quickly, and find navigating the iPod a cinch. But as part of the learning curve I found that its easier with a large collection of music to set favourite albums and artists as playlists in iTunes. This way you can quickly find your favourites, rather than having to scroll through every album or artist.

I find the Radio takes a while to access the RDS data, so radio text or channel names can take a while to show up, but once locked on works seamlessly. No real problem just part of firing up the radio when first turning on. Also with the radio There are the usual choice of bands AM/FM1/FM2/FM3 etc, but each band only gets 4 favourites. Storing favourites takes a little bit of learning, as there aren't the usual preset buttons cluttering the face up on the stereo. However its not a difficult procedure, just a new way of doing things, as you'd expect with a new unit.

CD playback I assume works fine, as I've yet to use this facility, so I cant offer a review on this functionality. Maybe I'm holding on to old tech, in the same way I did with cassettes and VHS years back. Sooner or later my CD's will probably end up following my Cassettes to the charity shop, but for the moment I'd like the option to play a CD occasionally.

Now for the important part: the sound. I'm using the stock speakers in my car, but this head unit offers a marked improvement over the old head unit. The options to tailor the sounds are good, not just the usual fade/balance/treble/bass. You can setup the kind car you are using, as well as the types/sizes of speakers fitted, and the head unit will tweek the sound to match the cars accoustics. This can then be further tuned to suit the car, as well as personal tastes to suit the music you are listening to.

If you want to expand your car stereo, theres 3 pairs of outputs for connecting up to amplifiers, and an 3.5 mm aux in on the back if you need it, fortunately this can be turned off.

On the whole it was a great decision to get this head unit, it looks smart in my dash, not too flash, offering more of an understated look everyone thats seen it is impressed, not just with the look, but also the sound, and seamless connection to an iPod. The sound is fantastic (when I eventually replace the speakers with something better, I think I'll get the most out of this unit). The playback on iPod is great, really easy to use. Setup initially takes a while, but its worth it, and adds to the getting the best from a device thats there essentially for your pleasure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2012 4:35 PM BST

IPHONE 4 / IPHONE 4G TOUCHSCREEN ACCESSORY PACK - 2 STYLI + 6 SCREEN PROTECTORS - SILVER PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE
Offered by ClickJunkie
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the screen protectors, 0 stars for the stylus, 24 April 2011
The screen protectors are great, they're good quality, I like them I'm using them, I'm really happy with them.

The stylus seems like a great idea, and if you don't use the screen protectors it is a great idea (kind of).

The stylus is made from a metal body, and a conductive foam for the pointing end, which allows a bit finer control over the iPhone. However it soon becomes apparent that iOS as used on the iPhone is a tactile interface, making extensive of multitouch gestures, such as pinch and squeeze to expand or contract etc. Then you soon realise that a stylus simply does not cut it, and most of the common gestures are not easily replicated with a stylus and you end up using your fingers anyway. But thats just a minor problem with using a stylus....

When you use a stylus, and a screen protector together, you quickly realise that the stylus actually scratches the screen protector very easily, leaving it looking a mess in next to no time. Before anyone drops a comment about being too rough with the stylus, NO! I was not pressing to hard, I was trying to be gentle, but none-the-less, I ended up with a scratched screen protector from the stylus.

So like the title says I'd give the screen protector 5 stars, and I'd give the stylus Zero stars. By my reckoning, taking into account the inability of the stylus to be of any use what so ever, gives an overall mark of 2 stars for the package of screen protectors and stylii.

TrendyDigital MaxGuard Plus Case for the Amazon Kindle 3 (Third Generation Kindle, Kindle Wi-Fi, or Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi , 6" Display), Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, nice quality, 24 April 2011
This cover is great, It fits the kindle 3 perfectly with all buttons, and sockets on the bottom being easily available. The materials are nice using faux-leather on the outside, and a velvety material on the inside, utilising magnets to hold the cover closed when you are not using the kindle. I feel the cover makes the kindle look a bit more special and I'm really happy with this cover.

I'm aware that there is the official Amazon branded illuminated kindle cover available, but 50 for a cover seems just a bit too expensive for me to justify. This cover on the other hand is perfect for doing whats needed, yet not being too over priced with it.

One design compromise that is inevitable with a cover like this is the speakers are covered over, so if you use the speakers a lot for text-to-speech or MP3 playback, then this will be worth bearing in mind. Its no problem however if like me you just use your kindle for reading, and as stated earlier the headphone socket is fully accessible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8