Profile for Mr. M. Barker > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Barker

Mr. M. Barker "barkermchris" (Norwich,UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Toukiden - The Age of Demons (Playstation Vita)
Toukiden - The Age of Demons (Playstation Vita)

4.0 out of 5 stars Monsters and a good universe., 16 Oct. 2014
A good game with an interesting universe and characters. The game-play is simplistic press button hit monster then keep pressing till monster is dead. On the face of it it's a simple game but there are fine details that give it a bit more depth. The one great thing about the game is it can be consumed in bite size chunks. What I mean by that is you don't have to start playing and then not be able to stop because there isn't a convenient place to pause and save. It consists of missions and they all have a timer usually about 60min but a mission should never really take that long to finish. On average you'll be spending about 10-20min on each except for the ones that have a 5min time limit. That makes this game a good pick up play for a quick couple of missions and then put down again short bursts fun fest. Now for the not so good things. The camera is a bit of an ass and there are times it will screw you over. Nothing is really explained in great detail so you will end up having to trial and error it. Monster verity is limited and you will be facing the same bosses over and over again. I know i haven't talked about the graphics or anything technical. Well if you want that stuff then read the other reviews, I'm just going to tell you what I think you need to know. All in all I would recommend it if you are comfortable with combat that consists of mashing the same button over and over and want a game you can dip into for a short burst and then put down again. There is enough here to keep you going for some time and the story and universe just help drive the whole thing along nicely.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best RPG's out there, 31 May 2014
I stopped watching South Park a long time ago so I haven't kept up with the TV show. Playing this game though makes me want to go back to the series and see what I've been missing.
As a game it's one of Obsidians best I can now almost forgive them for Fallout New Vegas. The RPG elements are solid and as a game without the South Park aesthetic it's a very good and enjoyable experience. Then they added the South Park spin to it and it went to a different level. It's got childish elements, it's got the fart and anal probing jokes and if your easily offended then "why are you considering buying this game?" It's South Park and you are playing a character in that universe and you really do feel like you are one of the kid in that world. So if you want a good game that will make you feel you haven't just wasted your money then this is the game to buy. Even if your not a fan of South Park but just love good RPG's you won't be disappointed. Just be warned and buy with your eyes open this game is not for children it has an 18 age rating for a reason.

Norton 360 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition]
Norton 360 21.0 - 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) [2014 Edition]
Offered by UK Hi-Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than a renewal, 31 May 2014
I really do like Norton it has a great set of tools and it does seem to do a good job. I won't repeat what others have already said in reviews, I'll just explain why I gave it the 4 stars and not 5. As a product it gets 4 stars because it's good at what it does. The issue I have with it is the cost of renewal. So be warned do not apply automatic renewal to your account. It works out far cheaper to simply buy copies of the program than it does to renew. £65 for renewal of your subscription, it's almost always half that to buy a new copy. This is bonkers and stupid and for that reason I took a star away.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Sea Shanty Edition) [Original Game Soundtrack]
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Sea Shanty Edition) [Original Game Soundtrack]

4.0 out of 5 stars Same old ground game whole different sea, 4 Jan. 2014
The first thing I’m going to say is I was a fan of the series until it seemed to turn into a perpetual cash cow. Nothing really wrong with that until you realize that the game didn’t really innovate and as time went on it simply stagnated for me as a series and got boring. I’m now going to be critical and say nothing about the ground game has changed. It still has a poor control scheme and the combat is awful. The auto correction in the controls that tries to guess what action you wanted to take doesn’t always work leading to durpy moments of you either jumping to your doom or running up the side of an object only to go nowhere. It’s annoying as hell and the mission variety is poor too. So why did I give the game such a good score? Well un like other Assassins games this one is set on the sea. There is its one redeeming and most enjoyable aspect of the game. The fact you can sail around upgrade your ship take on bigger and more powerful opponents makes the game feel less like an Assassins game and more of an enjoyable pirate sim. I must confess that I haven’t even finished the game yet as the main mission progression isn’t interesting to me at all. The fleet building and trading and sea combat, fort unlocking, fishing, diving and so many side quests have all kept me busy. This is where I have a slight issue with the game though it’s a great pirate sim but it’s not a great Assassins game. In fact I would have preferred they didn’t attach the Assassins moniker on to it at all. The reason I say this is because the Assassins elements of the game just bored me, they were the same old thing run here kill this guy, steal this thing and don’t get spotted when you’re following this dude. It got dull very quickly just like the other games in the franchise. However put that to one side or try and get through the main mission story as quickly as possible and what you’re left with is a great pirate game that has a lot of atmosphere and some really cool strategy elements. I defy anyone who tries the game not to raise a smile when you take the wheel of your ship and your crew start belting out a sea shanty. It’s a great pirate sim, so think of it as one of the best pirate sims on the PS4 and you’ll have a great time with it. As such I can forgive it its minor gripes of repetitive missions and the whole Assassins tagged on story feel. If however you’re an Assassins fan who has bought all the other games then you probably already own this so my opinion matters not. If your new to the franchise or like me got bored with the series then I would recommend this one 100%. It’s fun and that’s what games are about, there about having fun.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 4:57 PM BST

Saints Row The Third: The Full Package (Xbox 360)
Saints Row The Third: The Full Package (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fun to be nude and rude, 14 Feb. 2013
The game itself doesn’t take itself too seriously. It has often been compared to GTA. However I would say were GTA tries to be funny and not take itself too seriously but can’t seem to go that extra mile. Saints Row goes all the way to the insane asylum and then promptly fires a shark bait gun at the inmates to watch them get eaten by a sewer shark. That’s right this game has a gun that fires chum at passersby that then summons a sewer shark to eat them. That’s how you do tongue in cheek in a big way over the top way. If that sounds like your cup of tea then you’ll love this game. If you’re easily offended then what ever you do don’t get the big dildo out and beat some poor passerby with it because that would be really shocking and offensive.
Get this game its fun and you’ll be supporting a good development team that deserve praise for having the balls to do outlandish in a stylish way.
I would recommend this version due to all the extra content you get, it makes it great value for money as you’ll be getting all the DLC with the game.

Hitman: HD Trilogy (Xbox 360)
Hitman: HD Trilogy (Xbox 360)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated gameplay and graphics, 14 Feb. 2013
First let me explain why 3 stars. Are the games bad? No, in fact I love the Hitman games and I would even go as far as to say these games are better than the new version “Hitman Absolution”. The reason it gets a 3 star is mainly due to the fact that you are paying for old games that have simply undergone a slight cosmetic lift. To be brutally honest the cosmetic lift isn’t even impressive. If they had just spent a bit more time making the models higher res and the textures a bit better you would have felt you were getting an improved version. As it is it’s like getting a video copy of your favourite film but on a blue ray disc you’d feel a bit short changed. That said the games are great unlike the new version they don’t make you feel like a looser if you go all out psycho and kill everything in the level. (The new version gives you negative points every time you do something the developers don’t like). The old games got it right they let you play your way. Try for the very difficult to get Silent Assasin or go nuts and be a mass murderer the game doesn’t care and for that they will always be enjoyable games to play. If you want some nostalgia or like me hated the negative feedback you got every time you killed someone from the new version of Hitman you can’t go wrong with buying this set. Don’t forget you are getting three games all be it old and tired looking ones. Good and fun to play ones though.

Adata CH94 640GB 2.5 inch USB 2.0 Dash Drive - Black
Adata CH94 640GB 2.5 inch USB 2.0 Dash Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Price Super Product, 14 Feb. 2013
I bought this item so I could transfer films to it so I could then hook it up to our DivX capable DVD player to watch them on. The device is well designed and if I was nit picking I would say the only down side is the length of the USB cable it comes with. However you can swap out the cable for another longer one if you really need it (so I’m not going to mark it down for that). It’s a USB 2 device so don’t expect very fast transfer times and for films that are Gigabytes in size you will be waiting a bit (this is the reason I gave it a 4 not a 5 star rating if it was USB3 it would have got 5 stars). To be honest this might or might not be an issue, it depends on your expectations. The price and the size of the thing are the big sellers, for me it was an excellent price and for the size it was the best value for money. I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to transfer large volumes of movies or music from a central PC to other devices around the house that aren’t easily portable.

Intenso 3502480 32GB Rainbow USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Transparent
Intenso 3502480 32GB Rainbow USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Transparent

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Big, 19 Sept. 2012
I bought two of these memory sticks because I wanted to transfer video from my PC upstairs to my DVD player downstairs. The previous sticks I had could not handle the large file sizes and would only store one or two films. These babies are large enough to handle a few films in nice HD quality and still have room to spare. I'm not a geek so I don't care about transfer times or any of that kind of thing. All I know is that apart from the plastic top that you are more than likely to loose within a few seconds of having the thing this memory stick does just what it's designed to do. That is hold information in a convenient package for transport from A to B. So if you want a large storage solution for reasonable money then go for it.

Ghost Town
Ghost Town

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and still relevant to this day., 3 July 2012
This review is from: Ghost Town (MP3 Download)
The song was out in the 80's but the sentiment is still relevant to this day.
It's a classic and well worth having in your collection.
It also helps that Amazon music is DRM free.
So you can move the track around from device to device without the worry of "will it play"?

Philex 28700HS Microphone
Philex 28700HS Microphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the job, 1 Jun. 2012
First thing to say about the mic is the build quality is very good and it's a good mic for the price.
The down side to it is knowing what you are buying the mic for.
So this bit of the review isn't really about the mic or any faults it has it's about you.
What are you buying this mic for?
If it's for the following then your good to go.
Karaoke, PA systems or any other set up that has an amp or preamp. This is because the mic needs to have amplification.
If it's to connect to a PC to do any kind of commentary or recording then you will need a sound-card that has amplification or a preamp between the mic and PC.
This is because the output will be so faint you'll wonder why you're not hearing anything. Using sound forge I had to increase the amplification to such a degree that I could hear all the pops and crackle that were recorded at the same time.
It is for this reason I give the mic an OK score.
As stated above it's a great mic if you know what you want to do with it in advance and are able to accommodate the preamp requirements.
As of this review there were no other reviews to inform me of that need and although you could infer this from the description for the product that states it is ideal for Karaoke and PA systems, I'm not an audiophile and therefore would not have automatically assumed the need for preamp.

Page: 1 | 2