Profile for Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR > Reviews

Content by Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR

Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR "Pen" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
All to Play For
All to Play For
by Heather Peace
Price: 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Institute versus the market economy., 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: All to Play For (Paperback)
This is a terrific read. There are loads of characters with funny episodes and a razor wit, and a strong plot. Starting in the familiar anarchy of the Edinburgh Festival it moves rapidly to the BBC Drama Department where all good fringe theatre people ended up. It lifts the lids on machiavellian machinations of the policy makers and programme makers, the old ways and the public school ethos being dropped for the dynamic market forces. The drama department gets moved out, trampled on, and makes way for independent production companies. I enjoyed having the Beeb's history revealed to me and i found it comparable to all the machiavellian plots that go on in such institutions when everyone is fighting for their jobs as the carpet is pulled slowly from under the feet of the establishment.
Entertaining, political, and shrewd. it reminded me of what a sea change there has been in the this country- the BBC being an apposite symbol of the avuncular, (even though its called 'auntie') prey to the rising tide of ruthless unkind market forces.

Oona, ParaSelene
Oona, ParaSelene
by M. P. Rogers
Price: 16.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci Fi page turner, 31 July 2011
This review is from: Oona, ParaSelene (Paperback)
I loved this book. The eponymous heroine is a member of the Survs, those who survived the Earth's cataclysm, decades before. Survs are a lower class in a society served and organised by mysterious androids. She is determined to go up in the world and ruthlessly leaves her child behind at her own childhood home in the Inn to make her way in the city nearby where Survs serve the Selenes, elete colonists from the moon who have returned to earth. Like a Nell Gwynne figure, running a theatrical agency, she tups her way to the top, marrying a top writer in the Celene community, living in sumptuos luxury, until the Earth again starts to breakdown and she discovers the androids are more than they seem....

Rogers has really captured a future world and the plot whooshes along, Oona's character and her world shaping up as the plot unfolds. A visual feast of bubble cushions,glide rails, chuckling cherub fountains, costumes and interiors, from ghetto to abundant wealth...the book is teeming with life.

I understand a sequel is already waiting publication....yippee!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 27 July 2011
My partner has arthritis and had terrible pain in his ankles and achey legs, also arms and shoulders. His skin was very itchy too. He liked this instantly. It was relatively easy to work out how to use and it's really helped. The bonus were the gel pads which he could use on his arms and shoulders. We weren't expecting that and he found much relief. He uses it every other day.

Restoration
Restoration
by Rose Tremain
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing!, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Restoration (Paperback)
THis is a thoroughly good read - couldn't out it down. highly recommend. Very intelligently written, and a great main character that is utterly three dimensionap and loveable. He goes on a journey in his life and learns. I learnt too - about the Restoration period and what an extraordinary time it was for our country - going from a parliamentary state to a grace and favour government of Charles II. I hear she is writing a sequel - I do hope so!

Sabichi 83913 Mini Oven
Sabichi 83913 Mini Oven

2.0 out of 5 stars Grill more than an oven, 8 Jun 2011
I had a great little mini oven before - could roast a small chicken in it and it was smaller than this thing. This is very flimsy - I can see the kitchen surface through the bottom- and we nearly set fire to the kitchen, when it caught alight. We had hoped to roast some chicken wings but the oil caught fire - flames! -and it melted the cover of the upper element. Scary. Before this we had some nice cheese on toast, and warmed up some schnitzels ok....

The Open-focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body (Book & CD)
by Les Fehmi
Price: 13.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking good sel-help book, 13 Dec 2010
I think this is really interesting work and links nicely with Alexander Technique. I didn't like the constant testimonial stories to back the work up - 'Paul had this problem and after only 10 sessions was completely cured ' stuff - like somehting out of cure for baldness advert ! But the work is really good - start thinking in a 3 dimensional way, and your brain will coem to a nice alpha wave state - a balanced alertness that makes movement and life seem easy and effortless. It had an immediate effect on me and my own work in AT and this was just from reading it, not having to listen to CD. I highly recommend the OPen Focus Brain approach.

The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music
The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search for Growth Through Music
by Victor L. Wooten
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: 12.71

2.0 out of 5 stars fell at the first post, 13 Dec 2010
someone suggested I get this as I am just starting to learn the violin. It is so irritating i haven't listened to it all yet and maybe never will. I found the constant bass playing in the background really grated and so did his voice - I think he sucks air in through his mouth to breathe. The time I decided to have aproper go i lay down wiuth my headphones on and fell asleep soon after.
I will have another go....sometime....wish I had bought the book instead. Maybe there are some useful interesting things in that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2012 1:29 PM BST

Sea of Poppies
Sea of Poppies
by Amitav Ghosh
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea of Poppies, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sea of Poppies (Paperback)
I loved this book. I wanted to read the sequel only he hasn't written it yet. I liked that I was being informed and educated about those times: India's poppy trade which the British Empire encouraged and an insight into the common people's experience. The characters were well rounded and cleverly interwoven in several sub plots. It is a book teeming with humanity. The plot was well constructed but I found the conversational patois of the seamen difficult to follow at times and would have liked a glossary to help me out from time to time. IT's a great book to travel with, as it is so absorbing the time on the plane flies by....

Atlas of Skeletal Muscles (McGraw-Hill International Editions Series)
Atlas of Skeletal Muscles (McGraw-Hill International Editions Series)
by Robert J. Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Anatomical correctness, 28 Sep 2010
I think this is an excellent anatomy book for all body workers, practioners and students of musculo-skeltal system. The drawings are really precise and clear and photocopy well with clear origin and insertion explanatory text. My original copy is in tatters as I have used it so much and I preferred the spiral binding but this newer paperback edition is fine.

Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique
Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique
by William Esper
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just an actor's book, 24 April 2010
This is an intelligent insight into the Meisner Technique in Acting and very readable. It follows a typical fictional class in William Esper's course through the exercises and development. It is a very clear account and entertaining as though I were in the room myself. What I liked particularly was the honouring of the acting profession as a serious and profound journey through the human psyche. One of the participants confesses how the classes are changing her life. Yes, this sort of stuff does. That's why I say it is not just an actors book. I think a lot of people could get a lot out of this.
One of the key techniques is for actors to really 'listen to each other'. So many directors say this to their actors, and in Meisner's method of repetition Bill Esper actually teaches then HOW to listen. Isn't it also a key principle for success in life?
If you are an actor please read this, even if only to confirm what you are doing already. And if you don't know Meisner's Technique then read it and you are going to learn about it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5