Profile for C. Kirby > Reviews

Content by C. Kirby

C. Kirby "Catherine Kirby" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
A Life Stolen: My Father's Journey Through Alzheimer's
A Life Stolen: My Father's Journey Through Alzheimer's

5.0 out of 5 stars selfless giving of her time and care relentlessly to her father through his dark and difficult journey with this terrible diseas, 29 Jan. 2015
I've never experienced dealing with anyone suffering from Alzheimer's, so reading this book was a learning experience. Vanessa Luther gives a detailed, no holds bared account of her father's suffering from this disease. It's also speaks of her loving, selfless giving of her time and care relentlessly to her father through his dark and difficult journey with this terrible disease. She was fully supported by her family but even so, it took a huge amount of all she and they had to give. It's horrible to know what Alzheimer's does to people and to their carers. It's also shocking to discover that proper care and appropriate facilities for people suffering is hard to find. Even doctors often do not understand very much about the condition. It's a nightmare for suffers and carers alike. I was extremely touched by the devotion Vanessa gave to both her parents and still managed to look after her own husband and sons. She said the experience and suffering have changed her. This is inevitable with such a devastating experience. However, Vanessa's book has shown that her compassion and goodness have broadened even wider and deeper as she so courageously shares her heartbreak with others through her book, in order to give courage and information to others starting out on this horrendous journey. I'm glad I've read this and hope that if ever I find myself in this situation that I will be as generous as Vanessa or maybe able to support someone else going through this. Thank you Vanessa for having the goodness to care so much. Your father must be watching you with great love, pride and gratitude, as I'm certain all your family, friends and readers will too.

In My Lady's Shadow
In My Lady's Shadow

5.0 out of 5 stars STORY OF TWO WOMEN SEPARATED BY TIME, 17 Jan. 2015
These women: Fern in the present and Cecilia in the sixteen century are separated by time, but connected by a thread of events that affect and reflect in each of their lives. Siobhan has deftly woven the story of how these women are connected and that forms the mystery central to the plot. It reaches far wider than this though. We have history, legend, mystery, art and romance all cleverly and creatively blended and stirred into a tale that's irresistible. The setting is present day as well as ancient Italy. The beauty of the setting and the paintings make for a rich background. Siobhan is a natural story- teller. The ending was satisfying, completely fitting to the story but sadly heralding the last pages. I missed looking forward to this compelling read. I therefore relish reading more of Siobhan's books which I heartily recommend anyone looking for an absorbing read.

Star Gazing
Star Gazing

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong delicate and beautiful story!, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Star Gazing (Kindle Edition)
This is a beautiful, imaginative and heart-felt story of a blind woman's courage and adventure into a future she's reluctant to engage trust. The description of how a blind person experiences life and just what the limitations and amazing gifts of instinct and innovation they might have was wonderfully insightful. It isn't easy to imagine being blind, no matter how hard a sighted person tries. It revealed how very frightening it would to be if one was so hindered, and yet this wonderful, strong-minded and, at times, pig-headed woman tackles things a sighted person would shrink from. She's feisty, vulnerable, strong and generous too. I loved the settings, the characters and the twists and turns of the plot. Marriane and her sister Louisa are contrasting characters that give the story breadth and add a touch of humour to a serious, delightful and amazing story. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the ending of this intricate love story between Marriane and Kier had me guessing all the way to the end. Brilliant!!!

Annie's War
Annie's War

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Account of a lovely family, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Annie's War (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to expect of Annie's War. Reading a true account of someone's family can be a difficult task, or so I thought. However, the characters have been fleshed out beautifully in this well rounded account of Mackenzie Brown's grandparent's and their early life. It's warm and involving. I felt I was there sharing their joys, sorrows, adventures and struggles. The characters speak for themselves and give a wonderful picture of life from the beginning of the last century through to the end of WW11. I'm so glad I read it. I feel privileged to have 'met' these wonderful, colourful characters and shared some of what life was like for them. Thank you Mackenzie Brown. Another unputdownable story although this time a quite different, but nonetheless enthralling subject matter.

Cotton No Show Invisible Socks Liner Socks Footsies (Hearts) (S, Black)
Cotton No Show Invisible Socks Liner Socks Footsies (Hearts) (S, Black)
Offered by Socksie Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product., 8 Dec. 2014
They fit well, are comfortable and do the job as advertised.

HOUSE OF SILENCE
HOUSE OF SILENCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
The characters in this story are impressive. They were 'large' enough to make me feel they were there with me in the room as the story unfolded. Linda has a way of making her characters totally believable and human. The themes of damaged families, love, mental illness, betrayal and loyalty are played out through the pages of the book. It has depth without being heavy. There's sadness and joy, humour and drama all balanced beautifully yet rising into a steady crescendo. I couldn't guess where any of the twists were heading and each drew me further and further into the drama. What a clever magician to weave such a plot so satisfyingly. The quilts that Hattie loved to make was a very interesting touch. I knew so little about this subject and it was fascinating to learn something about it. It's always great to discover an author whose books you want to devour. I shall add all of Linda's books to my reading list and look forward to a feast!

Honour & Obey
Honour & Obey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Honour & Obey (Kindle Edition)
Carol Hedges has a great talent for writing a gripping tale that comes at you from many different perspectives. The Victorian setting is a gritty and intriguing background for the clever array of characters. There's no telling where the twists and turns will take you, as you fly along on a roller coaster ride through the fog, grime and terror of a murder mystery set in the harsh days of Dickensian London. Along side all that is the run-ins between Detective Stride and his sidekick Cully's with a certain London press reporter. There are so many strands to the story but it's freshness keeps you focused and keeps you wanting to know more. Don't expect to get much sleep if you read in bed like I do! But it is worth it. Go on treat yourself!

Zenzoris Returns (The Sophie Radcliffe Series Book 1)
Zenzoris Returns (The Sophie Radcliffe Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling Sci-fi Adventure!, 10 Nov. 2014
It starts with action and boldly drawn believable characters. They compel you to follow through a rip-roaring adventure with them that keeps you in turn bewildered, intrigued and fascinated. Even if sci-fi isn't your usual genre to read this one will be. I couldn't forsee the ending or the twists. Well done Jenny Burnley and keep on writing so that there's another adventure to follow soon.

Peace Lily (The Katherine Wheel Book 2)
Peace Lily (The Katherine Wheel Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace Lily - Wonderful Tale, 7 Nov. 2014
Daffodils sequel Peace Lily is as enthralling and fresh as its predecessor. Characters, Katy, Jem, Cassandra and Douglas have moved into the aftermath period of WW1. Katy finds life frustrating and tedious. She'd been a mechanic maintaining much needed ambulances on the battle front in France. Now her skills are no longer needed. Life is a struggle for returning soldiers, especially Katy's disabled husband Jem, who cannot obtain work or a home for himself and Katy. Cassandra finds herself torn between her American fiancé, Douglas, and caring for her aging and difficult aristocratic parents. Douglas struggles to fit into post war Britain and its strange stultifying class system. At the same time he's floundering to cope with his insufferable future mother-in-law.
All this is contrasted with Douglas's home of New England and his overbearing father, self-serving sister, vapid mother and dutiful youngest sister. We get a window on life in this very different society and how life was lived there.
Throughout, the extensive research is well woven into the story giving it flavour and colour.
There is so much to enjoy in this story of struggle and courage. A vein of love, warmth, honour and steely determination threads through this early 20th century tale. The historical details, the setting and the characters meld together to create a wonderful atmosphere that draws the reader in and doesn't let go. I wanted to read and read, and yet I didn't want it to end. Peace Lily is a wonderful tale that I wholeheartedly recommend, and I'm waiting eagerly for Speedwell the next book in the series. I know it will be an absolute corker too!

The Winter Guest
The Winter Guest
by Pam Jenoff

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of love, survival and war, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Winter Guest (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were some very clever and ingenious twists and turns and I really liked the characters. There were some aspects to the plot that could have been a little more carefully crafted and one or two scenes that I felt jarred. However, it is written so beautifully that I still found the story held me and kept me wanting to read on. The style is fluid and compelling. I'd recommend it as a good read!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6