Profile for Helen Nickes > Reviews

Content by Helen Nickes

Helen Nickes

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars What the..., 11 Feb. 2011
I've bought this black nail varnish in the shops before and it was brilliant, nice and thick so i didn't have to reaply. Not having enough time to go to New Look, I ordered it off line expecting the same only to find it's woefully pathetic! It's like they halved the nailvarnish content and topped it off with water its so watery! I'll be putting it straight in the bin!!
Do Not BUY!!

The Immortals: Evermore: 1
The Immortals: Evermore: 1
by Alyson Noel

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously... what just happened?, 28 July 2010
Now, i'm never normally one to completely despise a book, but seriously, what the hell?!
I'm not gonna make any comparisons to Twilight like other people since this book is stand alone and should be treated as such (and Twilight wasn't that amazing anyway really when you actually stop and think about it but thats just my opinion) so i'll make this review in the same light.

First, the main character, Ever. My initially reaction - her name is Ever? later reaction - her name IS EVER?! Through out most of the book i had great difficulty getting past this fact (and probably never did) while trying to see what i could about her character. I basically got she used to be popular and vain and now because she's "phycic" or whatever she suddenly feels the need to dress like a recluse, speak to no one and drink heavily. She aslo can't make up her mind. one minute Damen is the love of her life and the next she doesn't want to be immortal so gives him up... only to have him back again. Okay, whatever...

Next! Damen...right, so he's fit? Personality? Bit of a jerk who FAILS at being a hero. Tbh, i was happy to see a female character be given the chance to save herself, but seriously? If the love of your life was being murdered, wouldn't you at least TRY to save them? And then Ever does save herself but in the most stupid "oh my god imah gonna die!!argharghargh" to "oh so she's dead now?".

This book also gives...NO explanation to anything. So Damen's immortal? How? oh your not gonna tell me, okay. So he brought Ever back so she's potentially immortal. How? Oh, your not gonna tell me. And what is Summerland really? Not that it matters since it gets about 3 pages of screen time, so who cares! And how does the whole phycic thing work really? Oh no explanation, whatever. And Drina? Some more explanation about why she died? Other then the one line about vengence being a weakness and Ever's love killing her? Nothing, yeah okay whatever... and what was that tattoo Haven had? And how Ever reincarnates? How Damen know's its her? But you know, never mind, who cares really!

Another thing, the names reeeally killed me. Ever, Haven, Drina, Riley(for a girl?) and Honor? what? whats wrong with Sarah, Chloe, Stacy or Jemma?

I really didn't enjoy this book and i wouldn't recomend it. It may just be me getting stressed out by my complete lack of understanding about ANY aspect of this book, but its the impression i got. I'll leave you to make up your own mind about ths book, but if you are really intent on reading it, I suggest borrowing it from a friend or library first. If you like it, then fair enough, thats up to you, but I have never before wanted to just give up on a book half way through.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2011 4:22 PM BST

Dirge Of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- (PS2)
Dirge Of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- (PS2)
Offered by APE-GAMES

3.0 out of 5 stars wait... x...o...how the hell do i AIM!, 10 Mar. 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Well... I started to play this game and got a few minutes in only to discover... the controls are absolutely baffeling! After dying around six times because no matter what i did i couldn't get vincent to turn around and shoot back or run away, and ut i back in its box and havnt played it again. I fear getting it out again incase it turns out that, yep, its still just as impossible to fathom. While i'm sure it is a wonderful game and has a great story, i keapt getting attacked by some wierd dogs things thats i can't kill so i'll never find out.

Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
Torchwood: The Twilight Streets
by Gary Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any Torchwood fan!, 16 Oct. 2009
Without any question of a doubt, this is my faourite Torchwood book that I own.
With a gripping plot, characters written so close to their originals this could have been written by Russle T. Davis himself, and with little smushy sweet sad bits that made me cry, this book is WELL worth the money I paid for it and I'd have hapily paid twice as much for it!!
If you've never bought a Torchwood book before, this is definatly one to choose if you want an AMAZING first experiance of them. I couldn't put it down when i got it and was finished within three hours before having my tea and starting all over again just for the hell of it. I even have little markers init marking my favourite parts ( i know it's slightly sad but it's such a good book!)
I give this 10/10!! For me, it's up there with Harry Potter for adictability :D If you buy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead
Torchwood: Bay Of The Dead
by Mark Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit shaun of the dead, 16 Oct. 2009
Now don't get me wrong, this book is realy quite an enjoyable read and I'm definatly glad I bought it if not for the fun gorey zombie killings but for the pictures of Ianto on the front cover (yes i'm a fangirl, lol).

However, the gorey zombie killings do get a bit... 'ish eventualy with them taking over quite a bit of the plot and eventualy becoming slightly tedios. As well as this, you go through almost the entire book with no sort of explanation to what's going on, and it' only in the last few chapters that the reason for it all is even introduced and the character the events relate to has perhaps nine pages worth of involvment.

Again, don't get me wrong, yeah it has it's bad points, but the fact is I realy did enjoy reading this book with it making me smile in some parts. All i'm saying is that if you just want some Torchwood fun with some kickass ombie action, this is totaly the book for you! However, if you want something with more plot to it i suggest you buy something like Twilight Streets.

Overall, I'd give it maybe... 6 and 1/2 out of 10? I don't regret buying it at all, but if i had borrowed it of a friend and read it, i wouldn't hae bothered ordering it of Amazon. Hope I helped!