Profile for Egap Lliw > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
In Flight
In Flight

5.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypical Jazz, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: In Flight (Audio CD)
This album is one of the best examples of mainstream contemporary jazz I've ever heard. I would argue that this is in fact the very definition of jazz, a defining statement in its genre and time.

This recording is from the period where George was hailed by the Jazz Police as the saviour of Jazz and it is clear from the first track, "Nature Boy" that "In Flight" hasn't dated at all. The production is fantastic and the drums sound crystal clear, all of which is punctuated with Benson's startlingly original vocals. The only problem comes from the band itself which is looser than your mum on a friday night. The guitar playing is also substandard, heavy, unsoulful and totally totally rigid.

It's just jazz, but who cares?

Dreaming [CD 1] [CD 1] [CD 1] [CD 1]
Dreaming [CD 1] [CD 1] [CD 1] [CD 1]

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting work, 17 Feb. 2009
I'm sure the musics great but could Calvin look anymore depressed on the cover! Jeez lighten up boy-you're in a trashy kids T.V show and appalling exuse for a teen-pop group, you have a substandard singing voice, you're ridiculed by the majority of teenage males, you're unable to grow any facial hair, the attractive girl next to you is clearly underage and, from the looks of it, youre experiencing the onset of premature baldness...

O wait.

Together
Together
Offered by Quick Discount Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Sundown, 17 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Together (Audio CD)
Together is the debut album from British hardcore band S Club Juniors (later trading under the name "S club 8") and suceeds their two previous E.Ps which were both well recieved by the underground music scene. While the musicianship of the band cannot be denied, particularly virtuoso guitarist Frankie and bass player Calvin, the album is a rather brutal addition to their catalogue and, on some tracks, one cannot help but feel that the band are sacrificing melody in return for heaviness. While this album will go down well in sweaty camden mosh-pits, it is, in this reviewers opinion, too heavy to break through to the mainstream audience the band desire.

It would be wrong to suggest that this album is without its merits. Certainly, "Automatic High", an auditory punch in the face, boasts a wonderful pounding drum beat and vocalist Aaron's signature roar. Likewise, "Only You" manages to slow the tempo slightly for a stunning modern-day take on the thrash metal made famous by the likes of Metallica. "You are the one" repeats the trick of their earlier E.Ps, featuring a stunningly-fast sweep-picked riff from Frankie and a crashing finale of layered guitars though, as with much of the album, what the Aaron is actually screaming is anyone's guess.

This album is definatly worth purchasing if you're an avid fan of the juniors but, based on the band's earlier work, I couldn't help but feel slightly disapointed with "Together". The follow-up "Sundown" recftifies many of these problems and is probobly a better choice for newcomers to the band.

Sundown
Sundown

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly Beautiful Music, 2 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Sundown (Audio CD)
I must start by saying that I wasn't going into this album with the expectation of an enjoyable listening experience but this just blew me away. Incredible vocal harmonies collide with beautiful melancholy melodies, fusing as one of the most complete and coherant records ever made. From the first track-the jazz-influenced "Fool No More" its clear that this album is something special. Vocally its almost perfect-frontman Calvin's rough-cut teenage angst contrasting with the raunchy yet somewhat angelic vocals of the girls on "Big Fun". Another highlight is "Pretty Boy" with its lyrics of starcrossed lovers torn apart by the world, complemented superbly by spiralling keyboards and thundering drums. The more upbeat "Sundown" has one of the best bass-grooves I've ever heard in a song, propelling the album to yet further musical heights with a crescendo of epic proportions. Tearjerker "I just came to Dance" perhaps best showcases the eight's talent. It depicts a scene of a tragic death at a high-school prom-the irony of this portrayed wonderfully in its golden sunset tones draped in acoustic guitars and whirling synths. These are just a few of the highlights of this stunning, emotionally-charged record.

In short, this album is a must for any serious music fan-one of the greatest collections of our time, it puts supposed pop classics such as "Pet Sounds", "Thriller" and anything by the Beatles to shame. Purchase "Sundown" and be prepared to be transported to a far-away world where music still means something denser and more beautiful. This will make S Club 8 huge.

Catalyst
Catalyst

5.0 out of 5 stars Accoustic Triangle + Gwilym Simcock + Catalyst --> Amazing Album + Calcium Carbonate, 19 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Catalyst (Audio CD)
Thanks Acoustic Triangle for stealing our lead singer Gwilym...NOT...I'll be pressing charges at a later date....but in the meantime this is a fantastic album. Possibly based on the chemistry between myself and Gwilym, this self-proclaimed album is the best thing in my life since I captured Charmander on Pokemon Blue. As a former friend and bandmate of Gwilym, I must admit that this album is probobly the best ever made by a band with the ambition and sexual chemistry between the leading members sometimes making the hairs on the back of my neck itch with a warm sense of belonging. That was the longest sentence I've ever written. This is infact relevant as it was Gwilym himself who taught me how to read in a coffee shop back in 1982. I believe this is the inspiration for the pop-punk highlight on this album "Coffee time" as well as maybe "Sea Suite-Second Movement", the lyrics of which are witty and urban which introduces Acustic Triangle to an entire new audience as shown by their forthcoming collaboration with Flo Rida (shorty got low low low low etc.). The addition of an impromptu rap in the middle eight of "Rosa Ballerina" perhaps reflects best the change in musical direction Gwilym has brought to the band.
I believe the catalyst to this albums success is the eight page colour booklet which actually contains three pictures of me (admittedly in the background and in one I am looking terrible but still stunning). My personal highlight of the booklet is the centrefold of Tim Garland, standing in front of his beloved sea with his dog.
This album catalysed some sort of reaction in my eyes - a condensation reaction of sorts - with the products being H20, satisfaction, and zinc sulphide. Buy this album from AMAZON now for a measly £11.99. The best, and only, way to spend your money. If you have none, sell your dog. Tim Garland is sure to buy it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2012 2:13 PM GMT

If The Sea Replied
If The Sea Replied
Offered by musicjapan

5.0 out of 5 stars If the sea replied.....it would say "What an awesome album!!!!", 19 Jun. 2008
This review is from: If The Sea Replied (Audio CD)
I once talked to the sea....the cool ocean breeze whispered "Purchase this Tim Garland album from AMAZON for only £11.98". So i sprinted to the nearest computer, whipped out my credit card, and they told me they were out of stock - so I waited for 4 weeks, then placed my order - they told me I'd receive it in 3-5 days. And I received it in two. This is just an early indication of how brilliant this album is. Throw away all your other CDs, for this is the ONLY CD you will ever need.
This album is a concept album about a small dog, with a small dream. His dream was to talk to the sea, and he does so, magnificently on Track 4 (backed by some awesome basslines). Personally, I thought his task was insurmountable, but I was wrong. Tim Garland's positive vibes, especially on "Storm Warning", urges the sea to reply to poor Fido. This is symbolised by the majestic tambourine work of Gwilym Simcock - who also shines on the maracas in Tracks 7 and 8.
I have been priveleged enough to have seen Tim Garland on tour in Zurich. Boy those Swiss know how to party... Buy this album.

Black Holes And Revelations
Black Holes And Revelations

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, 17 Jan. 2007
Firstly I wnat to start by saying that I never used to be a fan of Muse until I bought this album. I always used to deteste Matt Bellamy's falsetto vocals and in general, i fouund their previous work to be too experimental. I originally did not have high hopes for this album either: on first listen Supermassive Black Hole seemed like an excellent pop song but having heard it repeatedly on the radio I soon grew weary of it. It wasn't until I heard second single Starlight that i decided to buy the album. Admittadly, on first listen, Starlight is the most accesible, catchy and straight-forward song on the album. However unlike Supermassive...it doesn't become repetative and, as a ballad, it is one of the best i've heard for several years. The chord progression and chiming keyboard riff carry the track and the song carries just enough weirdness to appeal to mainstream rock fans as well as a progressive audience.

The second play of the album isa very different affair, more and more I grew to like the weirder side of Muse, the catchy synths of Map of the problematique eased me into the heavier more esperimental aspects of the song such as Dom Howard's pounding drum solo two minutes in and Matt Bellamy's fanastic lyrics. Following this, my taste in music changed rapidly and, after a few listens you can really hear songs such as prog rock masterpiece Knights of Cydonia and Stockholm-syndrome-soundalike Assasin as the great tracks they are. What surprised me most was the depth and emotional resonance of the lyrics, especially in Invincible and Take a bow.

This has become undoubtably my favorite album of 2006 and I have since bought all the Muse albums and become more experimental in my choice of Music. Although I would argue that Absolution is the best muse album, this is their most accesible to new fans-definatly reccomended!

Resonance
Resonance

5.0 out of 5 stars half base x height= a recipe for sucess!, 11 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Resonance (Audio CD)
WHAT CAN I SAY! about this band? They are quite simply the new Busted. Move over McFly, Acoustic Triangle are the new kids in town. I am a close personal friend of Gwilym Simcock (having gone to school with him for for the best years of my life). However he kicked me out of acoustic triangle because "the bands musical direction doesn't need a drummer" Everyone needs a drummer!!!! The only flaw in this album is the lack of a good solid drum beat. Just look at me, now-touring with my band The Rotten Tomatoes. Watch out acoustic triangle we want to steal your saxophonist Tim Garland for his amazing melodies carry this album especially on tracks such as Solo Piano Interlude, From the Land and Ritual. Taking Eastern Europe by storm, this album knocked the Ozones off the top spot in March 2005, this is perhaps the most amazing thing i have ever heard in my life. The Laid-back tempo of Acoustic Triangle is echoed in the recent recordings of Dave Matthews Band, Turin Brakes and Daniel Powter. Buy this album now from amazon because their prices on this and other such items are o so low! I couldn't believe that this album cost me only £11.99 (although Gwilym really should have given me a free copy!) This album is not only significant to me on emotional terms, for their song "Bourdion" is perhaps based on Gwilym and I's close personal friendship, but also significant because the Rotten Tomatoes are covering the song on our first E.P-spicing it up into a rave floor-filler. So, in summary, buy this album FROM AMAZON because this is an amazing deal on an amazing album.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 11:40 PM GMT

The Glasgow School
The Glasgow School

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST THING EVER!!!, 4 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Glasgow School (Audio CD)
This album is quite possibly the greatest thing ever made. Packed full of musical brilliance and outstanding lyrical genius, it mezmorizes the listener into a world of wonderful music after the 1st listen. Particular highlights include the fantastic Moscow, Louise Louise and Three Cheers. Without Orange juice we wouldn't have many of todays top groups such as Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and The Stone Roses. After hearing this astounding debut, their influence on today's bands is clear. A recent magazine likened their influence on today's bands to that of U2. This timely compilation of Orange Juice's early work is easily their best. I personally regard it as the album of the decade so far, possibly of all time. So if you like music then get this album. Even if you do not often purchase albums then this is a must have.

Faded Seaside Glamour
Faded Seaside Glamour
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Faded Seaside Glamour (Audio CD)
This is quite simply the best album I have ever heard from a great British band. If all our bands were this good we would easily have the best music industry in the world. My favorite track from this masterpiece is Long Time Coming but Nearer Than Heaven is also good.

Page: 1 | 2