Profile for Tammy Robson > Reviews

Content by Tammy Robson

Tammy Robson (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
The Unnatural History of the Sea: The Past and Future of Humanity and Fishing (Gaia Thinking)
by Callum Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly written history of fishing, 13 Jun. 2013
I bought this book in preparation of an night class I was to begin teaching in marine science. It is a well written account of the history of fishing from medievil times to present day, the changes in technology and the impact this has had on the target fish species and the ocean environment as a whole. Some chapters are not easy to read but despite the depressing tone of the third section of the book it does finish with a note of optimism. It is written in lay language so non-science folk can follow it easily.

A must for all maritime and nature fans.

Soulless: Book 1 of The Parasol Protectorate
Soulless: Book 1 of The Parasol Protectorate
by Gail Carriger

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab first book in a fab series!, 13 Jun. 2013
I was leant a copy of this book by a friend (my purchase was a gift) and I LOVED it!

The idea of vampires and werewolves holding goverment positions in Victorian Britain and the comical misfortunes of the heroine, Alexia, who is a 'souless creature' immune to the effects of either whereas the other supernaturals turn human in her presence. Being a busybody spinster (in her mid-twenties mind) getting involved in murder investigations much to the chargrin of Lord Maccon the werewolf police inspector and amusement of Lord Akeldama, Alexia's vampire gay best friend. The dialogue is witty and there are plenty of characters to keep the plot going without becoming so saturated with names you lose track of who is who.

I can highly recommend the whole series!

Hops and Glory: One man's search for the beer that built the British Empire
Hops and Glory: One man's search for the beer that built the British Empire
by Pete Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 13 Jun. 2013
The story of one man and a barrel of IPA travelling by sea to India is good fun. Chapters switch between the trials and tribulations of his journey with the history of al in India including a bit of history of the Empire and it's appallling treatment of the natives. I found this ok but my husband found the 'history' chapters off putting as it slowed the pace of the book and ended up not finishing it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Picture of Dorian Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite stories ever., 13 Jun. 2013
I have read Dorian Gray several time and never tire of it. The story is of a naive young man arriving in London and being introduced to society by the older Lord Wootton and all it's vices. His enusing descent into depravity and corruption monitored only by a portrait he keeps hidden in his attic is tragic but also inevitale. The big quiestion posed by the story is this - was Dorian always destined for this corruption of his soul or was he corrupted by the compnay he kept? I have read this book over and over and still can not decide.

The Dresden Files: Complete Season 1 [2007] [DVD]
The Dresden Files: Complete Season 1 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Blackthorne

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly complusive to watch, 13 Jun. 2013
I bought these as I am fan of the books and although there has been some major changes to some of the plot lines and characters, it is enjoyable enough to watch. Some of the episodes are loosley based on cases from the books, others I think are written purely for tv. The best thing about this is the actor who plays Bob - he is AMAZING and it is a shame he is not in more programs.

Disturbed by Her Song
Disturbed by Her Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Disturbed by Her Song (Paperback)
The idea behind this collection of short stories is a that a brother and sister are channelled through Tanith Lee and are writing accounts of periods of their life. These periods take place in different eras of history so you are never quite sure of how old these siblings are.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have since bought a copy for a friend to spread the joy - she loved it too!

Sounds and Furies
Sounds and Furies

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sounds and Furies (Paperback)
I bought this as a gift for a friend having received one as a gift myself. The stories are beautifully written and it is a challenge to pick my favourite one.

The Secret Books of Venus I and II
The Secret Books of Venus I and II

4.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from Tanith Lee, 13 Jun. 2013
Having read 'The Secret Books of Paradys' I decided to treat myself to the Venus series and was not disappointed!

There are 2 stories in this book, quite different to each - one about a composer and his mysterious muse in a frivolous Venus with endless carnivals; the other about an oprhan girl with a unique ability found by the church during a time of religious fervour and the threat of war.

As always Tanith Lee's writing paints the scenery so well you can almost smell the canals and feel the sun. The characters are well developed and the stories written so you are never quite sure how they will turn out until you have completed the book.

Bring on book 3!

DreamGenii Maternity Support Pillow
DreamGenii Maternity Support Pillow

5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed item!, 13 Jun. 2013
I bought this when I was 7 months pregnant as I was suffering with terrible back and hip ache during the night making it impossible to sleep and aggravating another health condition. Within I few ngihts of using this the aches had disappeared and my sleep was more restful. I found it supported my belly and back so I didn't have to conciously try not to rollover onto either. It is quite comfy and I found turing over in the night with it not a problem.

Neil Gaiman's 1602
Neil Gaiman's 1602
by Neil Gaiman

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable twist on historical mystery with Marvel magic, 9 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Neil Gaiman's 1602 (Paperback)
The premise for this book is to take a selection of Marvel characters and plant them into Tudor England with assination plots against Queen Elizabeth and the Spanish Inquisition in full swing. Having read the introduction which listed the characters featured I was intrigued to see if it could be pulled off. It was. Some of the ways certain characters were used was quite ingenius. My only complaint is that despite listing the Hulk he didn't have much of a role and was more of a background chracter.

Still a good read though.

Page: 1 | 2