Profile for Papa Dave > Reviews

Papa Dave

Bike Touring Survival Guide
Bike Touring Survival Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Bike Touring Survival Guide, 3 May 2011
I've been bike touring for years now, being lucky enough to have covered thousands of miles all over the world, and yet I still found this book un-put-downable. Why? Maybe I'm bike touring obsessed or it may just be that its easy reading style and endless supply of useful facts made it so addictive.
Im sure its not designed as a cover to cover read, but I'd say anyone considering a tour whether a weekend jaunt or worldwide epic needs to read this book. I found myself nodding along to familiar concepts and experiences as many times as I reflected on ideas new to me. Andrew & Friedel Grant draw on their own broad experience as well as that of others to write a truly comprehensive manual that'll guide the reader from beginner's basics through to how to survive in the wilder corners of the globe.
If you haven't got the patience to read it all in one go, or prefer to use it as a reference you can download it to your smart phone or netbook and take it along on tour for ready reference.
In my local bike shop five quid will buy a tiny bell, a very unfashionable hat, a couple of energy bars, or a magazine about jumping off bus shelter roofs on bikes with no saddles. I think a fiver spent on this book could well be a better buy!