ARRAY(0xa6fb3e7c)

Profile for B. POWELL > Reviews

Content by B. POWELL

B. POWELL "Ben" (Palma, Mallorca)

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars It gets under your skin, 16 Jan 2006
This stunning and beautifully written book was a present from a friend and it came without a note, nor explanation. I knew nothing about the book, the author or what to expect from it.
I had written a long and insightful review of the book, but somehow at the end it didn't seem fitting to post it. I don't know why and I decided to delete it and leave you with this. Everything was going so well, but as with many things in life, it is best not to think about why, but just to accept that is how it is and get on with it.
This book gets under you skin and in more ways than one. Through and throughout this book, Murakami makes each person reflect on themselves and their own "demons" within. Each of Murakami's characters are flawed, as are we all, and each goes through a kind of transformation during the course of the story.
Whether this book is there just to read, or was intended to pass a message I'm not sure, but for me I have taken away a defined simple thought that is my own. I hope you find the same too.

Sony NW-HD5 20GB Network Walkman / MP3 Digital Audio Player - Silver
Sony NW-HD5 20GB Network Walkman / MP3 Digital Audio Player - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good Digital Music Player, 28 Jun 2005
I have now had my NW-HD5 for a week and I love it. I charged it for the first three hours as directed and I haven't had to charge it again since. Opening it from the box I was surprised to see it was smaller than I expected, not entirely credit card sized, but quite neat!
Using the player is simple. I've used the IPod too and liked the wheel thing, but the scroll method using the buttons on the HD5 works too. The layout of the menus is simple and looks neat and tidy.
The rotating screen marketing ploy though is I'm afraid almost worthy of being reported to the ASA. The Amazon review reads:
"...its technologically-advanced 'follow turn' feature means the display is synchronised to your hand movements, flipping from horizontal to vertical depending on your every move."
Actually, it only turns every time you switch it on. If you move your hand whilst you are using it, the screen does not rotate. The ad line suggests otherwise. Bad Sony... Bad!!
Installation of SonicStage (oh how I wish I could still just use Windows Media Player), was non-eventful. My only real gripe is that it is SLOW and has a bad habit of sorting albums by the album and artist name together. If you have any compliation albums (or albums where another artist has collaborated) then you will become annoyed as they get separately listed. You can get around this by creating playlists for the album and transferring these instead.
Several people have reported problems with the buttons cracking during the first week of use. For me the problem of the buttons cracking has not appeared, but AVForums.com are tracking the issue and several players have been registered on Junto.co.uk's database log. The problem does not seem to be localised, but worldwide, though minor in volume. It would seem that Sony seem to have the issue in hand, with users commenting that Sony are replacing the problem part via the retailer you purchased the player with.
All in all this is a great Digital Music Player and the vague possibility of an acute cosmetic problem should not deter you from buying this player. It really does look fab! The brushed aluminium look is so much more stylish than the IPod white plastic.
I have also invested in the Digiana AudiaX FM transmitter so that I can play music in the car via the radio. Unfortunately Amazon is not selling these, which is I presume due to the fact that using them is technically illegal in the UK. Pity though as it is an excellent product to compliment the HD5.
I'm still waiting for my Sennheiser PX100 Headphones to arrive from Amazon, so looking forward to that!