Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Samsung B500BE/B500BU/B500AE Genuine Battery for Galaxy S4 Mini
Samsung B500BE/B500BU/B500AE Genuine Battery for Galaxy S4 Mini
Offered by Buyur

3.0 out of 5 stars Need a sharp knife, 19 Sept. 2014
Although described as a genuine Samsung battery I have my doubts. The locating lugs on the top of the battery don't fit the I9195 phone and have to be trimmed with a sharp knife. The label/wrapper is poorly applied and also needs to be trimmed. There are differences in the label (which may be because Samsung use more than one supplier) one of which is no NFC statement. As I don't use NFC I can't say whether it is actually present or not.

These comments seem to echo those of several "original samsung battery" purchasers so either there's a lot of fake batteries out there or Samsung have poor quality control. Personally I'd be happier to buy a genuine compatible battery than a possibly not genuine original battery - at least you know what you're getting. But I couldn't find one for the I9195.

Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy Book 5)
Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, 23 Jun. 2014
Elizabeth Moon tells us that she applies discipline to her writing, always completing her set word count each day. Based on this book she should take a few breaks.

Much of the book is simply the author trotting out text that is needed to complete the story, with no real flair or style. Plot threads simply fizzle out all over the place as she moves on to wrap up some other topic. And some of those wrap-ups must have been conceived and executed on a pretty bad day. So much so that if you read this book because you want to know how the stories in the earlier books end you'll finish the book frustrated - they just end.

I think I know where Dorrin and Camwyn are headed. Other players are in complete limbo. If thee is to be another book I hope the author recognises we need to be interested in the plot development and pleased or at least surprised by the denouement.

A Legacy Of Honour: The Omnibus Edition
A Legacy Of Honour: The Omnibus Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful background but not a book to read for itself, 23 Jun. 2014
This omnibus of Gird's life and legacy adds useful historical background to the Paksenarrion and subsequent books. So must be read for maximum understanding of the issues raised during those books. But the writing isn't good enough or the subject compelling enough to make it a book to read for itself.

I read it before reading Crown of Renewal as recommended by the author. There are a few consistency issues between the life of Gird and what is reported in the main-line books, explainable by inaccurate historical accounts of Gird. In that there are obvious parallels with real-world religions. There are also inconsistencies between the post-Gird portions of the book and later discoveries in the main-line books, in one case requiring a very contrived time-travel episode.

A couple of well-developed characters simply vanish into the mists of history. It would have been good to see their legacy, though that is probably discernible to those who've read the whole set.

So for Paksenarrion readers a four star, but maybe only two or three for new readers.

SAVFY Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 7-inch Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand, Bonus: + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen + SAVFY Cleaning Cloth (for Galaxy Tab 3 7" INCH P3200/ P3210, WiFi or 3G+WiFi) (flip stand PURPLE)
Offered by eLifeStore Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent at the price, 21 Jun. 2014
Does what is needs to - protects the device, easy to fit, acts as a stable stand (landscape only). But not a perfect fit and a little flimsy in places so only 4 stars. Stylus is a useful extra.

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time
A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 3 Jun. 2014
As the final book in Wheel of Time I suppose you have to read this book if you've read the 13 others. Overall the writing is OK, and the characters behave as expected. But it seems clear that Sanderson, having already filled two books with Jordan's material for one, still had too many threads to finish off and few clues as to how to do so. Some threads are ignored, others simply cut, others woven in unforeshadowed ways. The last battle is a bit of a slog and I must have skipped a bit as one sub-plot ended with no apparent resolution. I put it down with a sigh of relief, not fulfillment. Another series could be written as a sequel but I wouldn't get involved.

HP Pavilion 14-n000sa 14-inch Laptop (Intel Core i3-3217U 1.8GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Integrated Webcam, DVD-RAM, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little laptop, 10 Jan. 2014
This was bought to replace my wife's aging Fujitsu laptop. Key features were light, small, sturdy, Intel Core processor, reasonable battery life, good manufacturer, reasonable price, pretty. This was one of the few models that appeared to meet all those needs. It is a bit early to judge "sturdy", it hasn't been dropped yet. It's predecessor had a metal frame, the HP is silvery plastic but being lighter won't hit the ground as hard! The only negative is that the edge of the lid feels a bit rough, but that does give good grip for opening.

Size-wise it is very thin for a "budget" laptop but still has all the expected connectivity. The keypad and connectors all feel solid. The display is excellent and the processor performs all required tasks with ease. The WiFi was fast when transferring files from the old laptop, probably only limited by my old router. Battery life at present is almost 3 hours in use, which was a surprise given the tiny battery. Plenty for a day's use given it is hibernated when not in use. And on that point it hibernates and wakes pretty fast, just a few seconds to hibernate and a few more to wake. Of course, sleep is pretty much instant but I haven't tested battery usage when sleeping.

HP don't include very much bloatware in the setup, but there are a few annoying reminder popups. Do disable and uninstall the supplied trial antivirus and enable the free Windows Defender. And I installed free Libre Office instead of paying for the preinstalled MS Office. It copes with my wife's limited needs and doesn't cost £££/year.

One warning, if you set the system up in advance of giving it as a gift, HP ignore your requests and send a welcome email to the person you're giving it to - make sure you're in a position to intercept that (in addition to the Microsoft email requesting confirmation of the Windows account address).

Garmin nuvi 2445LMT 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by uk-dealz

4.0 out of 5 stars A man's satnav, 6 Dec. 2013
As a satnav, this unit does it's job well. Route planning is competent (by which I mean it goes the way I wanted to go in the first place) and timings are generous (by which I mean I don't have to drive like a madman to achieve the predicted arrival time).

The junction animations are largely accurate, though don't show junctions on bends well (they appear straight) and they don't distract from following the route. An earlier low cost European satnav got me lost on the Paris Peripherique by unexpectedly zooming in so I couldn't see where I was, then deciding I'd taken the adjacent slip road and re-routing me through the suburbs. This unit kept me on the right road.

I was surprised, eventually pleasantly, to find myself sitting in a stationary queue in Belgium with the arrival time at Calais dangerously close to ferry departure when I thought I'd allowed plenty of time. What became apparent was that the unit had picked up traffic news (on it's FM receiver) and adjusted my journey time for the delay. I was in plenty of time for the ferry.

But it loses a star for one potentially devastating fault. One it's owner used to share (hence the review title). IT WILL NOT TURN ROUND.

Satnavs can be distinguished by their response to missing a turn. Personally I'd be happy to receive an audio tongue-lashing followed by a sensible complete re-route. My previous, expensive, UK satnav would first ask me to "turn around when possible". Next it would doggedly attempt to get me back to the original route, however hard that might be. Only when that was virtually impossible would is accept that the route I'd chosen was 20 minutes faster than it's own.

This unit is a model of compliance. It just calculates a new route that doesn't involve a u-turn. Trouble is, in rural France that might be a 20 mile diversion! If you're lucky there's a village within a couple of miles that has a circuit of streets and you'll do that circuit and return. This behaviour was best illustrated by the journey from our holiday let in Aveyron to friends in Bergerac. The night before I asked the unit how long the drive would take and planned our departure time to suit. On putting the unit in the car it declared the journey would take 15 minutes longer. On closer examination the route was totally different. Because the car was facing the wrong way in the (very long) lane. As soon as I completed my 3 point turn the route and time returned to normal.

One other warning, common to all satnavs in France. French village addresses often don't have street numbers and street names can be obscure to say the least. But a village "commune" might be miles across. Don't just enter a random street as destination, you might end up a long way away.

So only 4 stars, and if you do get lost, turn around.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good read, 6 Dec. 2013
My usual reading diet is crime and fantasy. Neither feature in this book. But I loved it.

Unusually for a book written "across the pond" it is very English. It mixes well researched modern history with a surprisingly poignant love story. And the "letter" format makes it easy to read. And easy to put down when duty calls and pick up again in an idle moment. You only need to finish one letter to feel you've progressed.

I'm quite an emotional reader (for a man!) and the last book that touched me the way GLPPPS has was "Possession" by A S Byatt. Both books feature well researched historical fact, mixed with historical fiction, an intriguing romance, and an exchange of letters. I can't believe Mary Ann Shaffer didn't read Possession before writing this.

CPO Ethernet Network Cable Kink Protection Hoods (Pack of 10)
CPO Ethernet Network Cable Kink Protection Hoods (Pack of 10)
Offered by NowView

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential accessory, 6 Dec. 2013
There are usually two reasons to crimp a new plug on a Cat 5 cable. One because you're running a new cable and don't want an untidy coil of spare behind the rack, and two because the lock tab has snapped off the original. Once you've dealt with a few of the second you'll never do the first without adding a tab protector.

These specific ones are cheap as chips. Only four stars because they are quite hard and so don't grip the cable quite as well as some others. Though that does discourage people from fiddling with the cable. Also they're only in packs of 10.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal portable music stand, 16 Jun. 2012
Although a little longer when folded than the "classic" metal folding stand, this is a big improvement on it. Very easy to adjust, very stable in use. The clamp screws have a solid thread. Other folding metal stands eventually fail through the clamp screw threads stripping, I've had one of these for some time and I can't see the threads ever being a problem. The extra length folded is because it has extra height unfolded, great for flautists and other standing "head up" instrumentalists. The three legs are sturdy and fold down, not up, so easier to deploy one handed. There's a good sized "shelf" with a ridge to stop the music slipping off. The bag is quite sturdy and has a shoulder strap so one less thing to carry in and out of the venue. All in all you can't go wrong, and it's cheap!

Page: 1 | 2